Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greybird_keke

Hoya kerrii

greybird_keke
9 years ago

I have two Hoya kerrii that I bought from two different sources. The sizes and shapes of their leaves almost make them look like two different species! Is it normal to have this much variation among them? They've both had the same care.

Comments (9)

• Denise
    9 years ago

Ah, another kerrii fan! There was a time that I could not pass up a kerrii. Now that I have most of the variations, I can finally control myself!

Clones vary. It usually has something to do with where that particular clone originated in the wild, but it sometimes has to do with "sports." A "sport" is just an unusual growth that someone removes from the main plant and roots to grow on it's own. Sometimes the growth goes back to normal, and sometimes it continues to grow in it's "different" way, which results in a sport. The weird Jades, like 'Hobbit' and 'Gollum' are sports of a regular Jade.

Anyway, could one of them be 'Hairy Kerrii' or the veined clone? I have these two in addition to the standard kerrii, and you can't really see a difference in photos. In fact, unless you were very observant, you might not even realize there was a difference until someone pointed it out to you. But leaf size does vary a lot. Here are the different ones I grow: the veined clone...

...'Hairy Kerrii'...

...variegated...

... and below is the reverse variegated, which doesn't keep its coloring in the winter for me.

Denise in Omaha

• greybird_keke
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Denise, thank you for posting your photos! I love your kerriis, especially the variegated ones. The first kerrii I ever saw was a beautiful big one grown in a greenhouse. I loved the large flat leaves, and had to go in search of a plant of my own. But now that both of mine are starting to grow, it makes me wonder how I am going to trellis them! The one on the right in particular has very stiff stems that do not want to bend. Perhaps it will be easier to train after it gets a bit longer?

• teisa
    9 years ago

Grey bird,

I also love Kerri! I have 3. The regular, speckled, and variegated. The vines are very hard and don't get any softer with age really. Mine seem to bloom off the long leafless stems.

Yours are very pretty! How long have you had them? The different leaf size doesn't bother me but what I hate is when the leaves come out curled or no heart shape!

• Denise
    9 years ago

Kerrii is not very trainable. I've read that some train them when the stems are young and pliable, but I'm not diligent enough to get them before they stiffen up. I find a spot and clip the long stems where I can. They tend to go where they want to go!

Denise in Omaha

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

What was that about not so trainable Kerris? This one resulted from a branch breaking off the mother Kerrii I have living in another room.

same plant

Sorry the pix aren't clickable, or you'd see there are binder clips & rubber bands used to keep that Kerri & its heavy buds upright.

Unruly but cool nonetheless, but you gotta give it some room.

• greybird_keke
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow! I don't think mine would bend like PG's without breaking. Teisa, one of mine I've had about 18 months, the other 7 months or so. They were both just rooted cuttings when I got them, so they are now starting to grow enough that I will have to decide what to do with them. Denise, when you clip yours, do you stick the stem back in the pot to root? Do they take a long time to root?

• Denise
    9 years ago

GB, all Hoyas root fast this time of year. I usually don't root back in with the mother plant because most Hoyas (and especially kerrii) need to be kept drier whereas cuttings need some extra moistness until rooted. Then you can put it back in with the mother plant.

But I'll suggest you not cut the long leafless vines - at least not for awhile. First of all, that's where the peduncles will form. I had one 4' stretch of leafless vine that shot across the top of my GH and it got something like 13 umbels of flowers all at once one year. And second, sometimes the leaves will fill in later.

Denise in Omaha

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

LOL @ PG It's as trainable as those curly bamboo sticks as long as you have patience, I guess. ;)

I just put mine over by my west doors and hope it keeps growing straight up so eventually I can climb it and get a golden goose.

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Lest she feel slighted that we're talking sh__ abt her; she didn't bloom last year, but did the year before (2012). Here's her cluster of buds in silhouette shot, I liked a lot.

{{gwi:99865}}

and here's her drippy open buds
    {{gwi:99868}}

13 peduncles Denise, wow!!! Crazily impressive plants our Kerriis!!!

Sponsored