Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pitch113

Advice on Lack of Growth & Bloms on Hoya compacta

pitch113
12 years ago

Hi,

I've had a hoya compacta for about 8 years now, since the Spring of 2003. It's always looked healthy and dark green, however it's never put out much new growth. I keep it in a west facing window during the fall and winter and, summer it outside after last frost in the spring. Any suggestions? It's been repotted once, but otherwise I haven't given it new soil or fertilizer. I'd love to see this plant grow and ideally flower one day.

Thanks for the advice,

Hunter

Comments (21)

• pepeuve
    12 years ago

I do not speak English very well.
    Dark green leaves is bad sign. Little sun.
    Less dark green leaves is a good sign. Good sunshine.
    "conclusion"
    If you change to a more sunny location is much better and if the sun is in the early hours of the morning. 2 or 3 hours.
    Another thing, it needs a small pot
    Else, often water and fertilize in spring / summer.

link below

Here is a link that might be useful: sunny

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

What pepeuve says is true, compacta seems to enjoy a little extra watering. I wouldn't say I keep it always moist, like a lacunosa, but I definitely water it more than the average Hoya.

Definitely give it some fertilizer, that might be all the push it needs! It certainly must be mature enough. I would be surprised if it wasn't getting sufficient light to bloom if you are growing it outdoors/western windows, but possibly not. It's hard to know what you mean by 'dark'.

Post a picture if you can; you might be rewarded with more specific advice.

Good luck! You totally deserve some blooms!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Re-potted once in eight years doesn't sound very good.

I'd get it into some new mix, preferably fast-draining and bark-based,
    and then I'd hit it with a dose of liquid fertilizer after one or two weeks
    in the new mix. As the others said, I'd keep it watered well.

Josh

• scsva
    12 years ago

Congrats on keeping it going for 8 years. You must be doing something right. I agree with the advice above, repot with fast draining soil and by all means, give it some plant food.

Susan

• pepeuve
    12 years ago

For me it is easy to understand "Dark or non dark"
    This is a good example of "non-dark"
    You can view a specimen at the URL below.
    Just the leaves are green-lemon and this is the best for it.
    You can also see some examples in my blog.
    I have a cutting that is "one year" and is showing me now two incipient stems. I'll show you tomorrow.

Another very important thing.

In 8 years you should have pruned it at least once. It's good for it and will reward you. Sure

conclusion: More direct sun sunrise.

Sorry, it's very hard for me to speak English.

Here is a link that might be useful: compacta non-dark

• klyde
    12 years ago

pepeuve, your english is very charming :)

• pepeuve
    12 years ago

Hi klyde:
    Thanks.
    I would like to express more things but I do not think in English.
    I wish !!

• pepeuve
    12 years ago

Sorry, No two incipient stems
    I meant 2 incipient and emerging "peduncles".

• pepeuve
    12 years ago

Hi Hunter
    Hi people.

You can see two emergent peduncles, link below
    the cutting is a year old.

I hope you find helpful my advice.

Here is a link that might be useful: two peduncles

• pitch113
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi everyone,
    Thanks for the advice. Here is a picture of the plant - it's a bit old, but I don't believe the leaf color has changed much, if at all, since. Does it look too dark?

I'll repot the plant after finals are over this week and then subsequently give it fertilizer. Any suggested potting mix? The west facing window it's in, for better or worse, is where it will get the most light in my house. I've been watering about once a week - does this sound too infrequent? And if I prune, how far should I prune back?

Y pepeuve, le entiendo perfectamente bien en ingles, pero si le pondria mas comodo/a, puede hablarme en espanol sin ningun problema.

• pepeuve
    12 years ago

hola Bunter:

En primer lugar decirte que la planta aunque es de crecimiento lento la veo "demasiado" pequena para tener 8 anos.
    La maceta es """demasiado grande""".
    Elimina la parte superior del sustrato y sustituyelo por uno nuevo.
    El color de la planta es "muy verde" y cualquier orientacion es buena siempre que no abuse mucho del sol directo (la mejor de todas el sol del amanecer), pero eso si, que le de "sol directo".
    Otra posibilidad es buscar un lugar al sol de "ultima hora" de la tarde.
    Otra solución es "sol filtrado" pero al exterior.
    En cuanto a podar no hay posibilidad ya que tiene una solar rama, aunque yo cortaria esa rama por la mitad y plantaria ese nuevo esqueje.
    Al estar a la intemperie, en este tiempo (primavera/verano), debes regar cada vez que el sustrato este "casi seco", tal vez dos veces a la semana. Como mínimo una vez.
    El abono es tambien muy importante y cuesta barato y tambien es muy necesario para que crezca tu compacta.
    Espero que mejore con esto.
    Un saludo

Pido disculpa por escribirlo en español, pues no sería capaz de hacerlo en inglés. Ha sido sugerencia tuya.
    Si fuera necesario, explicaselo al resto. Gracias

• pitch113
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No le preocupe por escribirme en espanol. Vivi en Espana seis meses y le entiendo sin problema. La foto de la hoya fue sacada desde hace unos cinco anos, pero ya que no estoy en casa ahora, es la unica que tengo para subir a la red. Ahora tiene la planta dos ramas, una que creci desde hace unos anos cuando la maceta que se ve arriba se quebro y tuve que replantar la planta. Al regresar a casa voy a poner la planta en otra maceta, regarla con mas frecuencia y darla abono. Hay algun abono que recomienda? Alguna mezcla de tierra? Alguna relacion de la profundidad de la maceta con el tamano de la planta? Gracias de nuevo,
    Hunter (con hache, no be, pero no importa mucho)

A quick English recap of this exchange:
    pepeuve said the plant looks too small to be eight, that the pot is too big for the plant and I should change it for a more shallow one. He/she then goes on to say that it's important for the plant to get morning sun or at least late afternoon or when it's outside, filtered sun. He/she then says with only one branch you can't prune it, although I could cut in half and plant the cutting. Watering - every time the soil is almost dry - at least twice or once a week. Fert also important, especially for growth.

My questions to him/her, and to anyone who happens to be reading, are what kind of fertilizer is advisable, is there a specific potting mix I should use and how deep should the pot be?
    Thanks,
    Hunter

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Hey, Hunter!
    There are many different recipes for potting mix, but I prefer a bark-based mix.
    I start with fine-grade "Orchid Bark," which is simply Fir bark, and then I add Perlite
    and Pumice. These ingredients retain moisture, but also offer durability and drainage.

If you use a fast-draining mix, container size won't be an issue.
    If you use a water-retentive mix, you need to choose a container that is smaller
    so that the soil volume dries out sooner and won't rot your Hoya roots.

Josh

• pepeuve
    12 years ago

Las hoyas son plantas acidifilas (acidoficas) y no les viene bien los suelos o terrenos alcalinos. Un compost/sustrato de venta el cualquier gardencenter puede casi servir.

En cuanto al abono usa cualquiera para "plantas de flor". Son ricos en potasio y fosforo. K - P.

Solo a titulo de curiosidad, mira este enlace: medidor PH.

Here is a link that might be useful: medidor PH

• monet_g
    12 years ago

Pepeuve,
    Please translate into English. We want to "hear" what you have to say.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

/Hunter Way to go, putting your 6 months in Spain to use (It sounds like you studied Spanish for quite a bit before that, too). My aunt is visiting this month and I'm going to have to dust off my German in much the same way. It's nice that someone is finally able to pick Pepeuve's brain, since he produces such great results.

/Pepeuve I agree with Klyde that your English is delightful and understandable. It is also nice to hear you say more when you can use your native tongue, though.

/Monet I know it's awkward and not perfect, but you could try using Google Translate to follow the discussion. ^_^ I use it to read Pepeuve's blog and it usually gets the point across no problem, for people like us who know the subject well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Translate

• pitch113
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's a new photo:

I've replanted since the last one. The plant is now in a pretty sunny atrium and is putting out two new shoots. I've been watering once a week and, will start to give fertilizer per the above recommendations in Spring in late March or April. Does that sound good? Any other recommendations?

• maggnome
    12 years ago

Wow, Hunter, that compacta is looking gorgeous. I just got a compacta a couple months ago, and like yours it has been slow-growing. I'll keep an eye on this thread for any more recommendations regarding this Hoya.

Keep up the good work!

-Jacob

• MojaveLove
    12 years ago

It looks awesome now!! Nice work!

• alpanther
    12 years ago

Wow! That looks remarkable!

What facing window do you keep your hoya in?

What have you done with it?

I've had one I got as a tiny cutting about four years ago. It survived my last two years of college and a year in a new apartment. I could definetely like to see it like yours, though!

• pitch113
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's currently near a west facing window, though in an atrium with a lot of big windows. At home it was in a west facing window and, over the summer I usually keep it on a west facing terrace. I repotted since the last picture taken several years ago, but, honestly I can't say what the current growth is due to. Since I noticed the growth I've been watering more frequently. I fertilized some of my plants during the summer and I can't remember if this was one of the ones I did - but perhaps so, given the growth. I'll start watering again in the Spring, come the end of the month or early April. Sound about right?