Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quinnfyre

Can someone describe their Square leaf for me?

quinnfyre
13 years ago

I got a sp. Square leaf, and it arrived dehydrated. Or so I thought. Can someone describe theirs for me? I thought the leaves were supposed to be rigid. Mine is looking pretty good now, but the leaves are still wrinkly and soft, very flexible. The potting media is coco husk chips and coco husk fiber, and doesn't seem to be drying out very quickly at all. But the plant still seems rooted. I don't know what's up with it. I'm trying to decide if it's unhappy or doing alright. I'm leaning towards doing alright, but the leaves kinda worry me.

Comments (7)

• cpawl
    13 years ago

I went and took a look at my plant and yes it dose sort of look wrinkly but they are firm.I even tried to see if a leaf would pend a bit.My plant has not grown at all since getting it last summer.So fare not impressed.

Cindy

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

My plant has very rigid leaves with raised wrinkle like veins. I have had my plant for close to a year and it has only grew one new vine with three pairs of leaves. When I went to take a look at the leaves I noticed that it just started new growth at two of the nodes on that new vine. I did notice that growth was faster once I moved my plant to bright light after Xuan mentioned that is how she grows her plant.

Mike

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ah, thanks for the descriptions. So it is still dehydrated. I feel like it is a root issue, perhaps. If I didn't know better, I would say it resembles a hoya cutting that hasn't rooted yet. Except that I definitely know it has roots, because I saw them, and when I tug at it gently it does not budge. It is holding its leaves upright at least. From afar it looks great. It is just when I feel the leaves that it feels wrong. Well, we'll see how it goes. It has the start of new growth that is thinking about doing something.

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    13 years ago

Some times hoyas look fine until you pull it out of the pot, my minibelle looked fine but the leaves were getting dehydrated. I pull out of the pot, the stem below soil line was solt of rotted so I cut the stem and starting over.

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hmmm. I've given it a little Physan 20 in case there's any root rot issue going on, and I tried soaking some of the leaves/stem today - one branch of it is long enough to dip into a plant saucer of water with a bit of Superthrive in it. It soaked for maybe 10-12 hours, but I really didn't notice any difference at all. I was hoping to get that bit to firm up, and maybe take a cutting of it so that I have a better chance of getting one to survive. No go, didn't work. Well, again, we'll see. I might try taking that cutting anyway.

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Not better today at all. In fact, maybe a little worse. I bit the bullet and took a cutting that was basically about half the plant. Put rooting gel on the the end and below the first and second sets of leaves, and potted it so that both those spots are under some potting media (in this case, coco husk chips soaked in VF-11). It's going into the terrarium where my other smaller hoya cuttings reside. If that doesn't do it, I don't know what will. The rest of it I will not do anything special, just what I've already been doing. I want to give that a chance to see if that little bit of new growth will actually do something. If it goes downhill, I'll start that one over also, and the other cutting is already around as backup. Hope something works. I don't want to lose it.

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Quinn, good luck getting your Sp. square cutting to root. I'm sure putting it your terrarium will help a lot. Hopefully the leaves will rehydrate soon.

Sponsored