Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
penfold2

Eriostemma flower buds?

penfold2
11 years ago

I cut back my Eriostemma ciliata as part of a trade a couple weeks back. Just yesterday I noticed that a few of the old nodes are pushing new growth. Two of them seem to have the typical pointed growth of new leaves, but one seems to have more spherical growths. Could these be flower buds? I'd be a bit surprised since this plant was only around 5 ft long before cutting (now 3 ft). But I've heard that ciliata is one of the easiest Eriostemmas to flower, so maybe I have something here? One can hope.

-Chris

Comments (11)

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Hi Penfold...it certainly could be flower buds...but it might be new growths as well? A few more days and I think it will be easier to tell for sure. Keeping fingers crossed they are buds in progress.

• penfold2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, I patiently waited a few more days. I'm now reasonably sure that they are flowers. Here's a comparison of a new vine, and what I suspect to be flower buds.

But at this rate it may be a while before I see any flowers. And who knows if they'll even make it that far. It's probably better if I just forget about it for a while, but I don't see that happening, lol. I'll post an update if they open.

-Chris

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Yay!! Chris, its definitely looking a lot more like buds to me also. Especially when you compare it to the new leaves on the left side of your picture. Congrats!! I'm with you that it will be very hard not to check on it every day,lol...Keep us posted and best of luck!

• rennfl
    11 years ago

Well congrats, and I hope they bloom for you.

I have a ciliata that grows great, no buds though.

Renee

• penfold2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys.

This all happened immediately after I took a cutting, so that seems to be what caused it. But I'm taking the opposite approach with my other Eriostemmas, and letting them climb high up into the greenhouse rafters. I've noticed the leaves on E. afinis are getting significantly larger as it climbs. I have to say I'm quite hooked on these guys. I just hope I have enough light way up here in MN to see some flowers. But the vines alone are pretty cool with their big fuzzy leaves.

-Chris

• penfold2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I guess a year of growth did the trick. These just opened in the last few days.

I'm wondering if I'll see flowers on any of my other Eriostemmas now. They've climbed about 12' to the peak of the greenhouse, and are on their way back down again.

-Chris

• greedygh0st
    10 years ago

Nice, Chris!! That's very exciting. You're becoming the king of Minnesotan Eriostemmas, I guess.

So, in your post above, last year, you said that the leaves on the afinis got larger as they got closer to the light source - approximately how large are you talking?

• emt23
    10 years ago

Beautiful! ~ Mary

• penfold2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys!

GG, it's a bit difficult to tell which species is which now, but some of the biggest Eriostemma leaves are a little over 5" long and 3.5" wide. The vines get thicker as well.

-Chris

• Klea
    10 years ago

Very nice! Congratulations! The flowers are beautiful, and I just love the deep red color.

• Dorydl
    10 years ago

Nice! The flowers are very beautiful. Great growing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dorys Botanical Wanderings

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions