Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
squidy_gw

Can I grow a hoya carnosa in a tiny pot?

squidy
12 years ago

If I take a cutting from my bigger carnosa (6-inch pot) and put it in a small pot and let it grow and get root-bound, will it be okay staying in a small pot? I would like to have it stay a small plant. How small can the pot be before the plant suffers?

Also, what are some of the smaller types of hoyas that can be grown as normal houseplants? (Not needing to be in a humidity chamber or anything.)

Comments (12)

• scsva
    12 years ago

You can grow it in a small pot until you see the roots coming out of the drainage holes. There is a way to trim the root ball to keep your plants in a smaller pot but I'll let someone else give you instructions for that.

The big box stores (Lowe's, HD, Wal-Mart etc) usually have the easy grow hoyas.

Susan

• RedTurtle
    12 years ago

I have hoyas in 6 inch pots for over 20 years, bloom like crazy and do good. The soil is nothing but a mass of roots. I think hoyas like to be root bound.

• pepeuve
    12 years ago

The smallest Hoya I know is "curtisii"
    you can see my hoya curtisii and pot in link below.
    Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: curtisii

• jakalfoshakal
    12 years ago

i have a carnosa, quite large (shes not a giant...yet) in a tiny 4in pot. She has to be 7+ yrs and does just fine, blooms constantly, and hasn't complained yet. I always feel bad every spring when im doing the repotting on everything else but the hoyas...then i look over at this one and cant bear to repot her. Too happy, too many blooms, too hard to wait for her to fill a new pot with roots and wait for blooms. With the hoyas i wait till they look stressed or absolutely need the repot before doing it:) Ive also started putting cuttings in this size to get to pot-bound quickly. they seem to like this.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Just yesterday I was at the Sacramento Cactus and Succulent show,
    and I saw a Hoya carnosa that was trained up a tall and narrow hoop, about two feet tall.
    The plant was growing in a bonsai pot, maybe eight inches wide and two inches deep.
    I should have taken a picture.

Josh

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Oh Josh...why didn't you? I would love to have seen a hoya in a bonsai pot! Darn...

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

How small of a pot are you thinking? 2"? 4"?

There are several small-leafed Hoyas (serpens, curtsii, picta, heuschkeliana (pink), panchoi, pubera) but they all... expand. Curtsii is a good example of one that seems to grow like a tiny demon.

Carnosa is tolerant, so it probably won't die on you even in a small pot, but I don't know how you will keep it small other than to keep chopping off the vines. My sister had one in a 4" pot, growing up, and it just climbed the entire length of her room. Much like Josh's example, (which I would also have liked to see!) the POT was small, but the PLANT was not.

My mother has several very old blooming carnosas that she keeps quite small. I have to assume she prunes them. They're in pretty low light, too.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Hello!
    I know, Nancy, I really should have taken a pic! What was I thinking?! ;-)
    Keith (Caudex1) had many, many plants on display, and he took lots of photos....so I thought I'd check his
    uploads to see if he happened to get a pic of the Hoya. Sure enough, you can see it in the extreme right side
    of the pic I've linked below. All credit to Caudex1. What a lifesaver!

Hoya at Sacramento Cactus and Succulent Show

Josh

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Thanks for tracking that down for us, Josh! Next assignment: score us an interview with the grower. jk ^_~

• scsva
    12 years ago

Wow! Beautiful plants one and all.

Susan

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Oh Wow!! Thanks for the detective work Josh...that is a beautiful Hoya bonsai! I must say that's the first one I've ever seen! Thanks for posting! Glad Caudex had the picture.

• pepeuve
    12 years ago

Hi everyone:
    In my blog there is a possible "hoya bonsai". He was not my intention.
    It may be a cutting of red button. I do not remember now.

You can see link below, "bonsai involuntario".
    Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: bonsai involuntario

Sponsored