Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monet_g

To Buy or Not to Buy...

monet_g
12 years ago

I was at a greenhouse today that specializes in annuals/perennials. At the very back wall, they had some house plants including speckled carnosas. It looked like they had been there awhile just getting water and the insecticide that I could smell.

I picked out one that had tendrils of about 4 feet and a fair amount of peduncles - a very nice plant. When I asked the man what the cost would be for this one, he said $10! We then began to discuss the insecticide. He showed me the systemic granules on top of the soil and I THINK I saw him wipe a mealybug off the back of a leaf on another plant. I saw no others, but didn't look carefully.

I put the plant in my cart and walked around trying to decide whether I should take the gamble of bringing a plant home with mealies, but, also knowing the plant was only $10. I have a lot of plants (100+) from different families. Most are favorites of the mealybug. I do apply a preventative systemic twice a year.

I left without buying the plant. Please tell me what would you have done. I can still go back and get the plant based on your response.

Thanks,

Gail

Comments (12)

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Part of expanding your collection is constantly risking introducing infection. It's like Dan Savage says: if you want to enjoy something, you have to accept the risks entailed!

There are Hoyas I'd risk it for and Hoyas I would not. ^_^ If it's something that I have been looking for, then I go for it, exercising all the caution I can. Other plants just aren't worth the risk.

If you have a shaded spot to hang it outside, you could keep it outdoors and treat it and bring it inside once you felt secure about the issue.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

If I'd really wanted it, I'd buy it & put into isolation in another room or at the other end of my apartment. I have lots of Hoyas so I tend not to risk it, but recently brought some Kalanchoe leaves home from HD w/out realizing the risk & have given mealy bugs to a favorite Kalanchoe,.

So I took down my systemic & did the Kalanchoe & several locally bought Hoyas that came from stores where I'd seen a mealy or 2.

Pls. be reminded that systemic granules (like the Marathon I use) are to be applied to damp soil & then watered in well.

• Denise
    12 years ago

I'd go for it and treat it. It sounds like a bargain a $10. Since you've already learned to deal with mealies, you know the drill.

Denise in Omaha

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

If you grow Hoyas you will get mealies sooner or later no matter how careful you are. Greenhouse and garden center plants are the easiest way to introduce these pests but regardless of where they come from they are a very serious and difficult pest to get rid of.

Mike

• gennykins
    12 years ago

If I loved it, I would buy it.

Lisa

• monet_g
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. I think what I will do is wait a couple weeks for their systemic to kick in and for our "non-spring" to warm up so that I can isolate the plant outside.
    I appreciate your responses.
    Gail

• scsva
    12 years ago

I hope the plant is still there.

I would have gotten the plant in a heartbeat. I haven't seen the speckled carnosas around here for years.

Susan

• debbie_ny
    12 years ago

On the subject of mealies.....I have tried Neem oil and systemics and have found something that works that I thought I would share. Yes, I've used the diluted alcohol and neem conkoction, vigilance, wiping with a q-tip....you name it. I got very frustrated and started using a spray purchased at home depot with pyrethrins. It has truly been a miracle. I find that one good spray does it instead of the multiple futile attempts with everything else. There are many different brands and types out there.....But I have to say, it truly has been a godsend!

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Hi Debbie, do you have the exact brand name of the Spray that you bought at Home depot or a picture? I like the idea of spraying it only once or twice...much better than the several sprayings with the Neem oil concoctions. Thanks!

I've used BATS when the infestation is pretty bad...but that has to be applied to the soil as a drench and can't be sprayed on the leaves.

• anttisepp
    12 years ago

I'd buy and isolate and treat carefully ad then - endlessly ENJOOOOY! ;)
    This species is my favorite from childhood because of it's magic night tropical STRONG fragrance (someone can't ever bear it!).
    Regards,
    Antti

• debbie_ny
    12 years ago

Hi Pug! It's "Ortho Elementals 3 in 1 Rose and Flower Care". I have to admit, I didn't really want to have to use a "chemical", but in terms of "chemicals" it's one of the "better" ones in my opinion. I used BATS about 6 weeks ago (soaking the roots for a nice long time) and honestly it just isn't working for me. And the neem oil spray is just messy. So far the plants I've sprayed have had no re-occurances of mealies....probably because it takes care of all stages of growth. I highly recommend it!

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Thanks Debbie, appreciate it! I'm glad its working well for you!