Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wayetti vs kentiana

Posted by quinnfyre z7 PA (My Page) on
Mon, May 3, 10 at 15:30

So, I guess what I received as kentiana is wayetti after all. It is about to bloom very shortly, and its flower stalks (pedicels?) are definitely green, not reddish in any way. I guess it is nice to finally know what it is, but slightly disappointing too. Not because it makes it any less nice a plant, or because it really makes any difference. But when you've been calling it one thing for going on two years, and it turns out to be wrong, that is a little disappointing.

If I can reach in there to get a pic of the flowers, I will do so! I have been a little lax about posting pics lately, for some reason. I never even posted my speckled lacunosa blooms. We'll see how the week goes...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wayetti vs kentiana

Quinn,

It's a beautiful plant by any name! I just moved my wayetti to a shadier position because it seems to dry out too fast when against the east window glass. Here's a photo of the flowers...
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
Dark red, tiny flowers with a touch of yellow. And here's the backside of the flowers...
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

It's a sweet little flower!

Denise in Omaha

o

I always use the photo in the link to help tell these species apart.

I find that my Hoya wayetii does best when kept moist and if I let it get too dry it does not seem to grow at all. Even though my plant has several peduncles it does not flower often for me. Denise do you find this plant to be a fairly frequent bloomer for you?

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya montage Stemma Journal

o

My wayetti goes dry all the time, due to the spot it is in. It's a tradeoff; in order to get the best light it can, it is slightly inaccessible and doesn't get watered as much as some of the others. But it grows like crazy and is quickly taking over that space. I've already found a few more peduncles forming. It is right up against the glass in a south window, but there is a sheer mesh curtain between it and the glass.

o

I had mine in an east window (had moved it from a shadier spot because it hadn't bloomed for some time...) But I found it was drying out too fast and moved it back from the window. I don't like how the leaves "fold in" when it gets too dry. It bloomed for me very good the first year I had it, but it's been a stingy bloomer since. One here and there. But I loved the long-leaved species, so it's worth keeping either way.

Denise in Omaha

o

Oh good I am not the only one who rarely sees this plant bloom. I did notice a new peduncle forming and the old ones look like they are coming back to life so hopefully I will be able to post some photos.

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here