Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wrynsmom

What HAVE I done?!

wrynsmom
13 years ago

Okay, each and every one of you are a horrible influence!!!! . . .I've ordered more Hoyas. *sigh* My hubby is NOT going to be happy with me (if he NOTICES the plants). hehehe

Okay, here's what I have ordered in the last 72 hours . . . ready?

aldrichii

kenejiana

mindorensis

rubida

siariae

sp. Biak Island

sp. Kapit

crassicaulis

diptera

litoralis

memoria

montana

sp. Kast (yippee)

onychoides 'Venus'

I think I have a problem . . . ;)

Carolyn

Comments (38)

• ladygreensleeves
    13 years ago

WOW....you did get bite bad! And I thought I had a problem *twitch*....Seriously tho congrats on your new additions....we will want to see pictures when they arrive.

Regina

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Regina! And, yes, I will post pics. I can't wait to see all my new babies!

Carolyn

• tishfromwis
    13 years ago

OMG Carolyn!!! Didn't you just get a bunch and don't you have a big ol' wish list with Joni going? That's it, I'm going to show this to my husband so he can see for himself that I'm not as nearly as far gone as I could be ;) Goofy girl!!!

I am truly very excited for you Carolyn!

~Tish~

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

TISH! Don't do that! He'll figure out a way to contact my husband and tattle on me! hahaha

And, yes, guilty . . . but Joni has such great plants!!!

Carolyn

• tishfromwis
    13 years ago

Your hilarious!!! I don't think he'd tattle, I think they would put their heads together and try and figure out what they're going to do with us :) "WE BAD"!!!

~Tish~

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, we ARE! If I'm not careful, my computer will be taken away!

;) Carolyn

• tishfromwis
    13 years ago

ROTFLMBO!!!

~Tish~

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    13 years ago

Wow Carolyn, you really really got the bugs badddd. : ) Congrats!!!

Jan

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

And those bugs are PAINFUL, Jan!!!

TG says he's shipping my plants, today. Should have them Monday!

Carolyn

• tigerdawn
    13 years ago

I'm very happy for you! And also, that means when they get big maybe I can bum some cuttings off you! Hehe!

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You got it, tigerdawn! Oh, I'm going to send you an email . . .

Carolyn

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

I feel your pain Carolyn. I got impatient waiting for my order from Hawaii so I put in one from Thailand and another small one from the Netherlands. I am going to have to go out and get more potting supplies just deal with all of the cuttings. The worst part is that as soon as I get all the plants on my wish list I just go and make another list, I'm hopeless.

Congrats on the new cuttings

Mike

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

I have a request. And remember, it's only a request: Can I see where you are putting all these hoyas? I want to know how you are arranging them. I'm having a bit of a time trying to figure out how to accommodate all the hoyas that I really want, but still manage to keep them happy.

Good haul, by the way!

• patrick51
    13 years ago

Carolyn....congratulations!! What a nice selection you've made, I'm sure they'll all please you tremendously. Mike, don't worry about being "hopeless"...most of us feel the exact same way....and by the next day, we're looking for more!! LOL Fondly, Patrick

• maidinmontana
    13 years ago

Wowsers Carolyn ! That's quite a load. . . lol.

I have H. montana (of coarse I do) I got it from CN and Crassicaulis (from Gardinos). Montana is a nice little plant. Crassicaulis on the other hand is a hard one to decribe. I can't tell if it wants to climb, hang or just grow in a cluster. The leaves are really stiff and one is as long as my hand. It took awhile to get used to me but now it's taking off.

Enjoy all your new bebies. . .

Maid

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

I recently gave a little slide show presentation of my hoyas to a gardening club. One of the attendees asked how many I had and when I answered he said, "You know you need a 12 step program". He could not have been more right! Since then I have acquired 18 more cuttings and have 2 more coming any day! In defense of acquiring more (as if I need to defend acquiring hoyas on this forum!) 2 were a trade and 12 were pretty inexpensive...

...I love my hoyas!

Nice selection, Carolyn!

Kelly

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Quinn . . . here is an old picture . . . There are more, now, but they are on a utility shelf with a plant light on them.

Mike, that's what I did . . . ordered one from FL and had it held for a bit, so made two separate HI orders! It's killing me!!!

Maid, can't wait to see what they all look like. :) What fun!!!

Carolyn

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi, Kelly!

Pretty inexpensive, to an addict can be anywhere between free and $20, right? hahaha

Carolyn

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Carolyn, OMG!! Congrats...are you sure you won't need a whole
    UPS truck just to make the delivery just for you? You have really been bitten by the HOYA Bug really bad!! Enjoy your new babies!!

Here's hoping your hubby doesn't notice the UPS truck unloading your hoyas on a flatbed,lol...

• ladygreensleeves
    13 years ago

ROTFLOL.....12 step program! My DH is afraid to walk out into the Screened Florida room. He says he afraid on of my Hoya vines will take a life one of these days....ROTFLOL.

Whats that at the bottom of the latter...attached to the moss???

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lucky for me, they won't all be getting here at once . . . or I'd be dead meat!!! hahaha

Carolyn

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LGS, that WAS a NOID Dischidia . . .didn't make it. And I got tired of fighting with it! Some plants are just more trouble than they are worth. And THAT was one of them. These pics are quite old! End of last summer, I think. I'll take a pic of my kitchen shelf sometime. I'm just not motivated.

I spent the last hour potting up some trade cuttings and plants I got in the mail, today. Luckily, the hubby wasn't home!

Carolyn

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

Depending on how old the pics are, you and I are kinda in the same boat. Baby hoyas don't take up the same kind of room as what I call grownup hoyas. But maybe you've already rearranged and bought new furniture for your hoyas since then : ) Argh. I'm trying to figure out who will live where. My windows are not huge and I have a window AC unit in one of them. And I also have a large African violet collection. Methinks I need to start taking over some of the windows in the rest of the house...

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Right you are, Quinn! But, the majority of mine are still small. And most of mine are on trellis, so . . . I gotta find units with lots of space between the shelves. What fun! And figure out today, what I can put off til tomorrow?! hahaha

Carolyn

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

You, my dear, are also a BAD INFLUENCE... I just bought two more hoyas, and I was promising myself no more until I figure my space out. I'm also trying not to spend much right now. Oh well. I got sp. Square leaf and benguetensis. So that leaves me trying to squeeze australis ssp. Tenuipes, a second var. macrophylla, calycina, benguetensis, and sp. Square leaf into this:

{{gwi:361925}}

{{gwi:361926}}

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Woohoo, Quinn! Yes, I feel your pain . . . and good choices! I've been looking for those two, as well . . . they just didn't fit into the budget. :(

Can't wait to see pics of them!!!

Carolyn

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

Yeah, this isn't even the most recent pic. I rearranged to better accommodate what I had. And now I probably gotta do it again. Just out of curiosity, what is your grand list of hoyas now? Mine's posted on my member page. I'm still really itching to get finlaysonii, but I absolutely need to see where I'm at before I even think about it. AND every time I see villosa I feel like I need it. Seriously have to watch it with the larger leaved hoyas though. I have a problem ; P

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Quinn,
    Do you do wicks on most of your plants? Very neat!

Kelly

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

I have wicks on almost all of my African violets. Otherwise, it takes way too long to water them, and I don't get around to watering them as often as they prefer. Now they seem much happier and bloom better for me. I'm tempted to wick my multiflora though. I think I might wait until it gets bigger and therefore might use more water. Right now it is little and cute and in a 3 in pot.

• cpawl
    13 years ago

quinnfyre
    I started using a wick with my multiflora this Jan and this hoya loves this method.It has been in bloom almost non stop.

Cindy

• houseplantlover
    13 years ago

good for you......keep up the good work, there could be worse things.
    Stacey

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Here is my solution to growing larger Hoyas. The shelves are fully adjustable chromed wire and I use three levels with two for stabilization of the rack and just one to place plants on. The window is south facing and there is an LED panel at the end of the shelf that is farthest from the window plus an LED spot light that shines on a large plant that is placed on the floor.
    Each drain tray holds two rows of 6"-8" pots with 4-5' bamboo trellises and the trays are aerated with an aquarium air pump and stone and drain down to a bucket.

Here is a tray with half of the plants removed so that you can get a better view. Hoya sp Palawan is in bud to the far left in the photo.

This photo shows the lower tray that is placed on top of a low table. This tray also holds two rows of plants.

These plants can end up taking up lots of space. I have four trays like this for larger plants and the rooted cuttings are all mixed in with my orchids on two three tier shelving units each with a dual fluorescent light strip.

Mike

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mike, do you have any furniture besides these shelves and trays? And if so, WHERE DO YOU PUT THEM?! hahaha I love it, Mike! I wish my house were filled with these!

Carolyn

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

What is that lovely leaved one to the far right, Mike? Yours look happy for the extra space. Also, your window looks bigger than mine, I'm a little envious.

I'm forced to utilize the 'keep wrapping it around a hoop' method for now. Which will work okay for the smaller leaved guys. Not so much for the big leaved ones. Thanks for sharing your pics. Are you happy with the LED lights? I'm on the fence about getting some...

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Carolyn because I am in an apartment all of the usable windows are along the South facing walls, almost the entire length of my 2 bedroom + all of the living/dining area. I have occupied most of this space in two rooms with scattered plants in the living area. As you can imagine I was very picky when choosing an apartment, #1 priority was windows.
    Quinn that is a Hoya sp. collected on Sulawesi and it is probably related to Hoya macrophylla. That plant has been a slow grower but each new leaf is larger than the rest.
    The LED lights are good but they are not powerful enough to light a dim area as the only source of light unless you get the really high wattage ones. I like mine for adding a little light here and there and they are good in that during the summer they help to reduce the heat indoors by not heating up themselves. I also use a lot of flourescent lights, tubes and compacts.

Mike

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

Are you talking about the dark leaved one that is just barely in the 2nd photo, or the dark veined one on the shelf? I was wondering what the veined one was. But now I'm curious about that dark leaved one too. So many hoyas, so little time/space/money...

Thanks for the info about the LEDs. I think I may hold off for now then. They aren't the easiest for me to find, and kinda pricey.

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The dark veined one kinda looks like H. sp. Kapit . . . I'm curious now, too, Mike! I really like that plant!

Carolyn

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Here is an old photo of the one with the dark veins. I think it may be Hoya callistophylla but it came to me from Paul Shirley labeled as Hoya meredithii GPS 3576 20033. There are three peduncles budding up one this plant right now but the blooms are really small. The blooms are fully open in the first photo to give you an idea of their size.

The large dark leaved Hoya is also from Paul Shirley as is Hoya sp. Sulawesi GPS 8867 but it is probably a form of Hoya macrophylla. The developing leaf in the photo is still growing and is already 4.5" across and 6" long.

Mike

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler