Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greedygh0st

I have given up on you! (almost)

greedygh0st
11 years ago

So, I think I just might (knock on wood) have finally gotten hold of a parvifolia (NOT parviflora, although parviflora is also awesomeface).

This was on the very first wish list I ever drafted. I did get a cutting last year, but it didn't root. Anyway I am very happy to finally check this off my list. Not that it's the rarest Hoya in the book or anything, but still a little triumph for me.

So, I was wondering, what is sitting on that dusty table in the back of your head? Something you've half resigned yourself to not having, but still hold a mild-mannered torch for.

Comments (9)

• grubworm
    11 years ago

For me, it's H. darwinii that I hope to have someday. I finally obtained a cutting of H. siariae which had been on my wish list for a long, long time.

• moonwolf_gw
    11 years ago

H. sp. Estrella Waterfall is on my wish list and I've been eyeing it for quite some time. I really miss having my mindoriensis and pubicalyx "Red Buttons" in my collection, too. My latest that I got off my wish list was lacunosa "Royal Flush", which I have been wanting for a long time. I'm all out of room for right now, so mindorenisis and "Red Buttons" will have to wait for now.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• mitzicos
    11 years ago

Well my list is extensive:

Darwinii - bought more than 5 times
    Coriacea - "
    Danumensis - one time
    Cysthianta - one time

Some of them I bought several times, but didn't root or didn't like me or my climate, and I still ordering.....

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

GG my little Hoya parvifolia has really done nothing since I got it. It does hate being too wet, seems to be a fussy little thing. I probably should have kept my plant in a little 2" pot but I moved it up to a 3" pot and after that it has just sat there and refused to grow or die. lol

For me I think the Hoyas I want most are Hoya sp Pahang and Hoya sp Lata Iskandr A. I just won't feel complete without those two Hoyas. :)

Mike

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I did recall that you had a parvifolia on your hands. Thanks for the update. I'm a bit nervous because this one is mounted and we all know how crappy I am at growing mounted plants. Maybe this will be the motivator to finally get my act together and manage these plants right. Certainly it being too wet won't be a problem with me... >_>
    <_>>_>

sp. Pahang is exquisite. I was very fortunate to obtain a cutting of it last year, though what can only be described as an act of true generosity on the part of the owner. The Hoyas of this group are my current reigning sweethearts. The blooms and foliage are indescribably exquisite. As for sp. Lata Iskandr A... I suspect this one will never ever ever be common to collections. But I bet you will get it. :)

Oh, you know what another one on my dusty wish list is? The yellow mindorensis. Of course, I've always been a sucker for all the mindorensis and erythrostemmas, but I never can quite get this one to root. I just ordered another cutting of it, so we'll see... Probably should have ordered two or three.

Mitzi, your list is definitely full of sensitive all stars. There are certainly people who have rooted them after being shipped long distance, so I suspect you're just going to have to keep ordering until you luck out with a superbly robust cutting. The great thing you have going on is that once these plants actually make it, you have lovely healthy conditions for them.

I let a beautiful darwinii succumb this winter, so I am punishing myself by not pursuing it again for a while. ._. Some of us just don't deserve darwinii! (Not you guys, of course!)

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

I used to have a nice healthy Darwinii that grew very well for me and even bloomed last summer or fall. When I brought it indoors for the winter (since everything I've read about is it did NOT like temps below 65 degrees)...so I decided to bring it inside for the winter. OMG...it absolutely hated being inside and slowly but surely it started to decline, the leaves started to yellow and long story short I have two vines left of a lush beautiful pot. This Hoya is more temperamental that Sigillatis!! The fussiest hoya I own, that's for sure. At least I didn't completely lose the whole plant...just 95% of it,lol...

GG, I totally feel your pain! Congrats on your Parvifolia!
    Estrella waterfall is on my wish list as well...

SO many hoyas so little $$$ and space :o)

• Diana_Gale
    10 years ago

Has anyone tried these rarer Hoyas in semi-hydro conditions?

• cena60
    10 years ago

I'm a bit rusty on 'current lingo'.
    Archboldiana, either (what is the choice for three?) color
    Flagellata.
    Linearis, killed so many, my photo is posted up on the Wanted List... Don't Sell to This Killer.
    Macgllivrayi

Sheesh, I'm only through M in my new book by von Surisa Somadee & Jens Kuhne.

• amber_m
    10 years ago

i have a quite extensive list, every time i have the money to buy a hoya (mothers day, lol) these are no where to be found! always sold out!!!

H. meliflua
    H. finlaysonii
    H. sp. ban ngon ngoy
    H. paul shirley
    H. davidcummingii
    H. cinnamomifolia
    H. ciliata
    h. subcalva
    H. caudata (every kind!!)
    H. mindorensis (every kind!!)
    H. pubicalyx (all of the dragons, white, black and pink) i had the black dragon but it has recently passed :'(
    H. sp. Gunung Gading SRQ 3189

told you it was a long list... i believe there is even more but i really sont wanna search for where i wrote the rest down... i have a journal i keep that lists every one i see and really want... these are the ones that are ALWAYS SOLD OUT when i go to look for them for mothers day...