Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmichael619

May flowers brought on by April showers!!

dmichael619
12 years ago

This first picture is of a hoya that I got from Thailand year before last. Not from Epiphytica but another grower. it is commonly sold as H. lacunosa "heart leaf". I have since heard that the name has been changed to H. krohiana. This is the first time that it has bloomed for me. It's a fast growing plant as all of the lacunosa's are for me and seems to be an early and free bloomer!!! It has taken this long for it to bloom because I only received a 2 node cutting when I first got it and it struggled to take hold and once it did several months later I almost lost it again. On my most recent order to Thailand (Epiphytica) I got a spotted clone of this same plant called "Eskimo"

This is H. rigida IML 1669 also a first time bloomer for me. The flowers seem to be about the same butter cream color as those of rigida IML 1424 but are much larger and the corona is a deeper purple. The leaves are also quite a bit larger on the 1669 clone and tend to turn red when grown in high light.

Comments (33)

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I forgot to mention that the peduncle on the IML 1669 clone is rather long as well. Iris Marie also offered a round leaf form this year of hoya rigida that I ordered along with a number of new pottsii's

• cpawl
    12 years ago

I have the heart leaf lacunosa and its one of my favs of the lacunosa group.I find the fragrance on this one is a bit stronger than some.Mine is starting to bud up on all of her peduncles.Nice photos of your hoyas david.

Cindy

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Oh yeah, nice pics!
    Fur collars and buttercreme! ;-)

Josh

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

/David Thanks for detailing the differences between 1424 and 1669. That was really interesting. I like both of these plants and find them very distinctive (from each other) and am excited about 1529 as well!

/Cindy Nice to know it's a favorite. I hadn't considered this one seriously, because I, theoretically "have enough lacunosas!" But now that it's "not lacunosa" and "has a stronger scent" I have to reevaluate my position.

/Josh I am enjoying your descriptions lately. ^_^ I am never going to get meliflua = strawberry dessert out of my head and now fur collars!

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Beautiful blooms David! Thanks for sharing! Love Rigida!

Josh, I agree with GG...love your descriptions....GG, you're not so bad yourself. I've seen some of your great descriptions too!

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

/Pug Awww shucks /blush

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Very nice David especially the rigida. That rigida peduncle looks really long to.

Pug I know what you mean because now I will always see my Hoya pachyclada buds as being little alien belly buttons. LOL

Mike

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

Beautitul flowers, nice pictures, thanks for sharing with us

Mitzi

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    12 years ago

got a few more things to share that are blooming today.

H. fusco-marginata. I love the large dark green leaves trimmed in black on this plant!!!

H. bella. I have both the solid green and variegated versions in bloom right now.

H. cv. Jennifer. The flowers on this hoya are typical finlaysonii type flowers as far as color goes but are quite large whereas all the other flowers from this group that i've seen thus far are rather small,some even being quite tiny.

H. cardiophylla,flowers also have the finlaysonii look and are quite spicy smelling. I really like their fragrance.These are really quite small being about the size of a sugar pea.

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

VERY Pretty David...I really like the cool colors on the last two...they're gorgeous! Thanks for posting!

• gennykins
    12 years ago

Hmmmm...I have two rooted starters of cardiophylla and have been thinking about trading one of them but after seeing your flowers...maybe not. I like 'em!

Lisa

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

/David Gorgeous blooms aside, I think that photo of fusco-marginata is my favorite one you've posted thus far. I just love the way it is framed by the two gorgeous leaves AND there's some wildlife. ^_^

Thanks, as always for providing notes on how these blooms compare and contrast to other similar varieties. I don't know how I would learn such things without you, in some cases.

I agree that your description of cardiophylla does make it sound quite lovable. I am a sucker for the small but sweet.

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Pug I like those 2 tone flowers as well and the darker the corolla tips the more I like them!!!

Lisa,

Cardiophylla has not been a very good grower for me thus far,i've had it almost 2 years now and the plant consists of about 2 vines maybe a foot long if that. I has proven to be a very reliable and early bloomer though. The flowers are sweet and spicy.

GG, I didn't notice that little sugar ant until after I had actually posted the pic on here. My shade house is 9ft tall and not many of the hoyas actually touch the ground but would you believe that when they're blooming they pretty much stay covered with these ants. They have to be climbing up the wild persimmon trees and then scoping out which plant that sweet scent is coming from which seems like and awful lot of work just to get a drop of nectar!! I also noticed after posting the pic that I didn't shine the leaves as I normally do, gettin" slack in my old age I guess!!!

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

/David That is so entertaining that the ants go through so much work for their nectar. Meanwhile, somewhere there is a higher lifeform being amused by all the work that goes into putting a cantaloupe into my belly. ^_^

Don't even get me started on shining leaves. I always forget that step for the most important pictures.

My bella is blooming again, too. It bloomed for the first time in Feb and now it is a mass of buds.

Honestly, I just want to give a round of applause to everyone here who posts pictures, because the kinds of props and gymnastics I used to take the two boring pictures above was insane.

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    12 years ago

GG, I love the first picture of your H. bella!!!! I have had my variegated one for just over a year now but only got the solid green one this week on Ebay. It was a massive plant much larger than I ever expected and for only $12. I have grown both in the past and had major issues wit mites on them so I gave up on them and tossed them both out. I really like H. bella so I decided to give it one more try and see if I can possibly keep it mite free.

I personally know what sort of gymnastics you went through. I find myself all the time standing on the TOP of a ladder ,you know the part that says "this is not a step do not stand here". Well I often stand there,holding on to one of the gh roof rafters with one hand while holding the camera in the other and leaning outwards as far as I possibly can,just to get that picture!!!

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

GG...Your bella is gorgeous!! Look at all those blooms! What a beautiful and healthy Bella you have. Mine doesn't look anywhere that pretty. Great growing!

• cpawl
    12 years ago

GG very nice photo of bella.Its one of the hard ones to get good pictures of.I have vaccinioides in full bloom but just cant get a good photo.

Cindy

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

/David Congratulations on the ebay steal! My bella did get some spider mites once when I first started growing it, but I have to admit I don't have to deal with pests on the same level as someone who grows in a less artificial environment. I wish you the best of luck!

I definitely know you've risked life and limb for us on many an occasion before. We need to outfit your GH floor with gym mattresses.

/Cindy I do find bella very difficult to photograph, and I can see that vaccinioides would be the same. I think it's that they are so simple and so white. It makes the photographs always come out looking overexposed. I'm actually surprised that photograph came out decent b/c it was shot in a north window at the end of the day. A tripod sure can compensate for a lot.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. You made me all glowy. ^_^

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Here's a picture of my Wayettii...

Closer look...

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Very nice plant Nancy. Do you find that by having this one outside you get tons of seed pods on it? For some reason I get more seed pods on this particular hoya than any other I have.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

I'm so jealous, Pug. ^_^ Whenever I see pictures of specimens like yours, I have to live vicariously, because even if my wayettii grew so big I don't even know where I'd put it! This is one that looks really natural hanging from the branch of a tree. Gorgeous!

• pepeuve
    12 years ago

Stunning photos, dmichael
    Very nice plant, Nancy. I'm also jealous

Congratulations to you.

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Thanks David, GG and Pepeuve!!

David, so far I've only seen a couple of seed pods from last year, maybe I will get more? I usually notice the pods late summer early fall. I've had them on a couple of my outside hoyas last year.

GG, this was a pretty large plant when I bought it 3 years ago from HD...I repotted it a year and a half ago to a 10" pot. That was NOT fun,lol...I know what you mean about size and space...that's why this one lives outside. I have NO room for all my large hanging baskets so thank goodness I have these Oak trees to put them under, they really seem to like it there.

• rennfl
    12 years ago

GG - your bella is gorgeous. And beautiful picture of the close up of the flowers.

I've not had much mite problems on my bellas. Mainly because I grow another type of plant that consumes all their time and they are too busy destroying them to bother with the bellas. lol

Pug - I'm just simply impressed by your wayettii. Stunning.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Beautiful photos everyone.

David does fusco-marginata really stink as bad as people say? I have to admit that it looks far to nice to stink.

GG I love that first bella photo because the blooms look like porcelain, perfect photo!

Pug what can I say other than WOW. My little wayettii has a new role model. LOL

Mike

• pepeuve
    12 years ago

Nancy
    Today I posted your picture in my blog
    check out the link below
    Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: the wayetii and her protector oak

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Thanks Renee and Mike!

Pepeuve...thanks for the link! Yes, I guess you can say that my Oak trees are my hoyas protector,lol...

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

/Pug You know, I bought an 6" basket of wayetii last year that gives me a taste of wayetii lushness, but I never have been able to bring myself to give away my original wayetii, which I've been growing from a teensy plant. Whenever I look at it, it's all glossy and perfect like a hothouse flower lol and I sigh and let it stay on. I guess I'll REALLY feel accomplished when that little dude blooms. If that day comes I'll be sure to post the pictures of his one peduncle RIGHT next to ones of your showstopper.

The pictures of your plant looking all natural hanging under the oak put me in mind of this longifolia picture I saw a long time ago. I don't know whether you guys have stumbled across this blog before, but I enjoy the pictures he has of Hoyas and Dischidias in the wild.

/Pepeuve I really like the phrase "protector oak" too. ^_^

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    12 years ago

MikeD, I will have to check the scent when I go back outside in a little while. I know i've smelled it before but it's been a long time and I don't recall right off the top of my head what it smells like. let you know in a bit!!!

david

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

GG, I'm looking forward to your picture...I'm sure it will be soon! Thanks for the link you provided. There's a lot of cool pictures on there...just beautiful!

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mike,

I checked the fusco-marginata flowers for a fragrance and couldn't detect any.That could possibly be because the only flowers left open at the moment are from that old umbel and it's possible that they have lost their scent. There happens to be a number of new clusters of buds that should be open soon so i'll try to remember to check them while they are still new.

david

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Thanks David

GG that link was great and it makes me love my Hoya plicata and micrantha even more. I wonder if I fry them in the sun if they will finally flower for me?

Mike

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Glad you guys enjoyed those photos as much as me. I feel like I should swarm the blog with comments, to let them know someone out there is listening and inspire them to keep going.

I just love the picture of finlaysonii hanging out over the river. And the coriacea seedlings just hanging out on that rockface always make me laugh... and cry. I've tried and failed twice to root this cutting now. -_-

It really does look like that plicata is getting some serious sun action. It is flowering in the shade, too, but it's definitely most gorgeous in the sunny photograph. I love those plants!

You know, I sometimes get kind of edgy feeling about growing Hoyas in captivity the way I do, like animals at the zoo. Uncertain whether I'm doing something that's ultimately inhumane. But, looking at pictures of them growing in the wild like that, I feel like it's hit and miss with us. Sometimes our plants really do look way more ecstatic growing under our conditions than they might snatching what they can in the wild. And other times, it's clear we can't ever compete with their place of origin. I think I can make my peace with it being a mixed bag.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor