Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jan_sword

Hoya cumingiana

This plant is loaded with the flowers & the buds.

Comments (10)

• Denise
    14 years ago

I showed my uncooperative cummingiana your pic and reprimanded it severely for looking so not-compact. And the darned thing is one of my oldest Hoyas and it's never even HINTED at blooming! GRRR. I like the way yours stays so nice and bushy. Do you grow it in high light conditions? I keep mine on the top shelf in my GH, yet it never keeps a compact appearance. It's on my trade list for sure, now!

Denise in Omaha

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Denise,

I keep myine tide up so it looks neat. If you trim the plant it won't flower for awhile. The branches are really long on mine.
    It's on East side on screened lanai so it gets pretty strong sunlight for about 6 hours.
    I water when it's completely dry.

Jan

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Jan, congrats on all those blooms!! That is one Hoya I don't think I have room for, lol...it looks like it grows very long and lots of vines and gets very BIG! I will just have to enjoy looking at yours instead! Yours is very Nice!!

• haxuan
    14 years ago

Jan, comingiana is #one hoya on my wish list. I don't know if I could ever find it at the roadside market!!! Maybe I will try import it from Thailand one day.
    Yours looks so wonderfully lush. Congrats!

Xuan

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

Wow look at all those buds and blooms, the scent will be incredibly powerful when they all open up. I grow my plant in an unobstructed south window, lots of sun to the point that the developing leaves have red margins or it gets lanky. I was actually thinking of chopping my plant up and putting the cuttings in a larger pot but now after seeing your monster of a plant I am not sure I have the room. My plant has been blooming all spring and I would hate to take cuttings now but the longest stem is almost four feet long and it barely fits on the only shelf where it gets enough light. I would love to see a photo update when it's at the peak of flowering.

Denise I say give your plant even more sun, either flower or fry. LOL

Mike

• kellyknits
    14 years ago

Wow! Very cool, Jan!

Nancy-
    It does get big and get totally out of control, but I really like this one - it's sort of fun!

Kelly

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Kelly, thanks for the info "get totally big and out of control"...That's what I'm afraid of Kelly! I have several that is on its way there...not sure how many more I can cram,LOL...

But it does look like a Fun, Wild and Crazy(Hoya)Guy!!

• sandy731
    14 years ago

Wow, I sure wish mine looked like that but it's long and leggy with only a few short sections with compact leaves. It's one of the few hoyas I grow in pretty well direct sun yet it still doesn't grow totally compact. I keep thinking I should cut mine up and start it again in the sunny spot right from the start this time. It took me a couple of years to figure out that's what it needed. At least it's bloomed every year since moving it there.

Sandy

• PRO
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone.
    Pug, it is getting huge for sure but I love the fragrances and the way flower looks.
    Xuan, wish you were in US so I can send you a cutting.
    Mike, mine is out in the pool area facing East. FL sun is really strong, it gets about 6 hours of sun and the leaves have some red margins. It is totally pot bounded, I need to re-pot after it's done with flowering.
    Kelly, it was out of control until I tided them up. hehe
    Sandy, cut and plant all in a pot if you want fuller looking plants. I have about 4 plants in that pot.

Jan

• PRO
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is update.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor