Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scsva

Wal-Mart,who knew?

scsva
12 years ago

Found a light green rope hoya in Wal-Mart today. I've never seen this one before. It is EA. The leaves are like the compacta sort of but looser.

Has anyone seen this before? Maybe a hybrid?

Susan

Comments (11)

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Wal-Mart is a good place to find Hoyas depending on where you live, got my Hoya lacanosa 'Ruby Sue' there. Your plant may be Hoya carnosa 'Chelsea' or carnosa 'Krinkle 8'.
    Hybrid Hoyas are not seen in the mass produced horticultural market but there are a number of hybrids available through specialty growers.

Mike

• scsva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's not Chelsea or Krinkle 8..this I'm certain.
    If anything, it is a light green compacta.

Susan

• Denise
    12 years ago

Susan,

I know exactly what you mean. My compacta (EA) that I got a couple years ago had lots of new growth like you describe. Not very "curly", more like 'Chelsea', but enough curly growth that you know it's not 'Chelsea.' When I had to restart it after it started to dehydrate, I only took off the growth like you describe, because I really like it. Here's a photo...

Then I got my new variegted compacta recently - it's leaves are more cupped than curly, and I love it too!

Denise in Omaha

• scsva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

After looking at the hoya this morning, it could very well be a light green krinkle 8 but if it is, it closely resembles the compacta.

Susan

• scsva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Denise, the leaves of my plant look like the bottom leaves of the top pictures. Your solid compacta is dark on top and lighter on bottom. My plant is a very light green all over.

I have 3 compactas and their leaves are all cupped tightly.

Susan

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

/Denise Those pictures of your compacta are very interesting. When you took those cuttings did they stay true to that form?

I also like that variegated compacta way more than mine!

/Susan Leaf color, just like flower color, isn't a discriminating characteristic in Hoyas. If your plant is a very light green, it's simply been grown in high light conditions. Congratulations on your new Hoya!

• peanut01
    12 years ago

/Susan - ditto to GG comment
    high light=light greens
    low light=dark greens

/Denise - Very healthy looking plants there. Good growing. I'm gonna have to post a pics of my three ropes. My 'Regalis' has some amazing growth on it that looks alien. There is a leave formation that just looks like a big bubble forming coming right out at the soil line.

• scsva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I hear what you all are saying but I believe it is like the rubras. There used to be dark and light green. This is an actual light green plant.

Susan

BTW.. What ever happened to the solid green carnosas in the market? I've been searching.

• Denise
    12 years ago

Susan, I think plain green carnosa has become so common that it's hard to find it for sale anymore. I'm going to be selling a plethura of Hoyas at my cactus club meeting in a couple weeks - I have some plain carnosas and I have a feeling they'll be the first to go. There's just something inherently attractive about those healthy, dark green leaves that gets a person's attention.

GG, my eyes about popped out of my head when I found that var. compacta at the Lowe's in Papillion. The leaves are so different and I love it. And yes, so far the leaves on the green compacta have stayed true, but I won't be surprised if I end up with some curly leaves, too. I have to get a cutting off my sister's compacta next time I see her - it's one of the old, large-leaved, super curly ones. It hangs in her kitchen and she's had to pin it up because it drags on the floor!

Denise in Omaha

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

I do agree that the plain carnosa is special, even though we take it for granted. It has a lovely growth habit and looks lush at any age. Very interesting that they sell well at your cactus club.

I have always felt kind of "meh" about my Mauna Loa, but when I saw your new acquisition, I had to revisit my opinions of variegated compactas.

I was at the Lowes on Dodge the other day, but all it had was a Royal Flush, which I already have. Oh well! ^_^'

• scsva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Update, the hoya really turned out to be a regular green compacta. It put out so much growth this past summer that it will be dragging the floor soon enough.

Susan

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio