Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greedygh0st

May Blooms

greedygh0st
9 years ago

Hoya inconspicua

I have both litoralis and inconspicua and they look identical to me. (Maybe my plants are - haha) I guess under serious investigation they have enough differences to qualify for their own names. Boy are they awesome. They bloom all the time and the buds are so cute and sweet all Ron Burgundy and rose. They have this funny fragrance that is 90% kind of heady sweet perfume and 10% buttery caramel. I kind of like it the way so many Hoyas give you a bizarre twist like that. Food and perfume (and maybe a bit of moss and spice and cleaning supplies) in the same noseful.

I have a lot of buds on plants that haven't bloomed yet for me, so hopefully May will be a spectacular month.

Comments (13)

• Denise
    9 years ago

Nice photo, GG. I don't grow litoralis (yet) - are the leaves succulent like inconspicua? I almost lost my inconspicua. It died back then what little was left must have sat completely inactive for at least 2 years, then this winter, it started putting on new growth. It's not exactly growing like gangbusters, but it's looking amazingly good. So I'm doing that "happy dance" for the milestone (as you put it in your other post!)

I have gobs and gobs of Hoyas budding up - fungii has been blooming...

...as well as obscura...

Caudata started to bud for me, but the buds aborted. I figure it'll try again, but oh was I excited! I've tried to grow caudata a couple times and lost them, and I got one last summer that is doing excellent, so to have it try to bloom makes me feel like I've mastered it.

I'm very excited that my latifolia is budding up (pic at the end...) It's been a few years since it bloomed for me!

Denise in Omaha

• cpawl
    9 years ago

Nice hoyas GG and Denise.I have a first timer blooming.It took about 4 to see floqers.

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've already missed taking pictures of 2 first-time-blooming plants this month. BUT my plants are almost all reorganized. Woo!!!!!!!!!!!!

My litoralis is exactly like inconspicua. Like, twinsies. That's why I'm suspicious that they aren't, in fact, different plants. I mean, I can accept that experts say that, although they are very similar, there are differences between the two species. I'm just not sure that both of my plants are, in fact, correctly identified. I should quit farting around with artsy photos and take some proper head on ID photos. I found an old one I'd taken of litoralis and MY eyes can't tell the difference between these flowers. Maybe there are differences I'm too dumb to see, or maybe they aren't

You know, I always think that fungii is going to have flowers just like carnosa, and I'm always pleasantly surprised that they look so cute and curly. It reminds me of that rounded eyelet lace that little girls get on their dresses.

You know what I wish would bloom for me? Curtisii. Does anyone have advice/recommendations for that one? I almost forget I have it sometimes...

ooo Cindy, is that waymaniae?

• cpawl
    9 years ago

GG sorry my spelling is bad and I did not have my list with me.So yes it is.

• vermonthoyas
    9 years ago

Lovely blooms Denise and Cindy!

GG, your litoralis looks exactly like inconspicua to me so we will have to rely on the experts on that one. It is just like halconensis and buotii look exactly the same to the untrained eye, but a botanist somewhere says there are some type of minute differences. I will second your request for advice on flowering Curtisii. Has anyone ever heard of anyone flowering this plant that did not live in the tropics, or Florida? I think it needs extremely high humidity along with very intense light to bloom. These conditions are nearly impossible to achieve for the home hobbyist without a greenhouse. I've tried it with lights, but if you get the light intensity high enough, the bulbs dried out the plant too much and the growing tips die back.

I'm betting it could possibly be done with the plant inside of a fully covered aquarium/terrarium using high intensity discharge lighting (HID) placed a couple of feet overhead. T-5s are not powerful enough. This setup however would be a lot of money and effort to bloom one plant!

Doug

• rennfl
    9 years ago

Gorgeous everyone!

I really need to start taking pictures again.

Renee

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

> I should quit farting around with artsy photos and take some proper head on ID photos.

Well, there is "art" in "fart"...

For proper ID, you gotta dissect the flower: corona and corolla pics, front and profile. Polinia, too.

> ooo Cindy, is that waymaniae?

Horse teeth corona! Love it.

> I will second your request for advice on flowering Curtisii. Has anyone ever heard of anyone flowering this plant that did not live in the tropics, or Florida?

Yes, once. It was Allis Stolt of Sweden: https://www.facebook.com/groups/214525878704580/permalink/295364093954091 (can people without a facebook account see this?) I think there was also another post she initiated where she might have said more about how she did it, but I can't find it. I asked her.

> I've tried it with lights, but if you get the light intensity high enough, the bulbs dried out the plant too much and the growing tips die back.

Doug, a gently blowing oscillating fan may be a solution - or a next faster speed if you already had it running and still got burned tips. This idea was suggested by some orchid growers I know - they are the best when it comes to creative ideas for challenging growing situations that often apply to hoyas, too.

This post was edited by greentoe357 on Thu, May 22, 14 at 10:13

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

Allis reminded me where I saw more about it: https://www.facebook.com/allis.stolt/media_set?set=a.769557416407075.1073741861.100000584723522. Click on the curtisii photos and check out her comments.

• moonwolf_gw
    9 years ago

Congrats on all of the blooms, everyone!

Going to move my houseplants outside hopefully today. They were out for a few days last week when we had a spell of warm weather, and I hope this time they can stay outside for good. I don't have as many to take outside since I was neglectful with the watering this past winter.

The fungii cutting I took last year is sprouting a new vine :). She needs a good home, so I'm hoping one of my friends will give her one.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• rennfl
    9 years ago

Well here are a few of my ever summer blooming favorites

First Ban Ngog Noy, I've acutally caught a butterfly sipping nectar off of it before, unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me at the time. This one blooms all summer long.

And Hoya limoniaca, another constantly in bloom during the summer Hoya.

And Hoya fungii, caught some buds just opening, and some already open.

And ending up with Hoya diptera which is a first time bloom for me. But it gave me quite a few penduncles for the first time. I think these pics where from April maybe though.

Sorry about the dismal quality of the photos, unfortunately the old windows photo gallery is no longer available with 8, and I tried to crop and resize in photobucket, but after it not saving for an hour and a half I gave up.

Hope you can still enjoy

Renee

• rennfl
    9 years ago

And finishing out the month of May, I came home this week to find these three blooming.

Hoya mindorensis - this one bloomed for me for the first time at the end of last summer, I'm glad it's starting earlier this year.

And Hoya 'Ruthie', this is the first time buds actually managed to open, so I'm pretty excited about it.

And finally Hoya rotundiflora, I love love love this one.

Take care, Renee

• rennfl
    9 years ago

Forgot to include my plain leaved publicalyx, which I call Plain Jane.

Just like the mindorensis, it bloomed for the first time near the end of last summer, and again I'm glad it is starting early this summer.

• vermonthoyas
    9 years ago

Outstanding blooms Renee!

Doug