Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicbreezent

Hoya sussuela "Bamaga"

tropicbreezent
9 years ago

Quite by accident I found that my H. sussuela "Bamaga" was flowering. It grows up into a tree and that's where I had lost track of it. But the other day I noticed some Hoya vines hanging down further along with something attached. On closer look turned out to be flowers. Perhaps it's been flowering previously but I never noticed. I tracked the vines back as best I could to the sussuela pot. Flowers are about the same size as macgillivrayi.

Comments (28)

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Size

• Denise
    9 years ago

VERY nice!!! I've never heard of this one. Where did you get it? And where do you live that they can grow outside year round?

Denise in Omaha

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

...And who ate that one corona? :-)

I have not heard about this one either. It looks great though! Nice surprise!

• vermonthoyas
    9 years ago

Yes, where do you live that you can grow a wonderful plant like that outside, and that is a really cool Hoya that has the looks of an Eriostemma.

This post was edited by vermonthoyas on Fri, May 30, 14 at 7:56

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the comments. Yes, it is an Eriostemma. And no, I don't know who ate the corona. No sign of any insects around, but thankfully it was only one flower that was damaged.

I'm in Australia. GW changed my location details (plus gave me a sex change!). I can't change it back and they won't respond to my emails. But anyway, I got the plant from Liddle's Nursery, not long before David Liddle died. At the same time I got H. sussuela "Mcilwraith Range" but seem to have lost it.

Hoya sussuela ranges from Indonesia, New Guinea and Australia. Mine comes from near Bamaga, which is near the northern tip of Cape York Peninsula in Australia.

• gold_angel
    8 years ago

Hi Tropicbreezent, (this is my first post) I have just gotten the sussuela and am also in Australia (South Australia), can you help me with any care tips?? Would really appreciate your help, Thank you :)

• marleneann
    8 years ago

Tropicbreezent...are you Helen from Sydney? I have been growing Hoya's for a few years now but only recently getting hooked on them. I like gold_angel would like any tips you can give on growing them in Australia.

• gold_angel
    8 years ago

marleneann, so far the only info I've been able to dig up re sussuela is that it likes heat, direct sunlight, humidity and that it likes to be kept moist and that this hoya is a warm grower so probably not suited for SA especially in Winter so I'll have to bring it inside for protection, but would be great for QLD, this is where I found the info

http://www.hoyor.net/en/showspecies.php?id=188# however I do find some care info conflicting from page to page... Good Luck

• marleneann
    8 years ago

gold_angel do you grow any other Hoyas?

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Gold-angel, the NT in the name I use stands for Northern Territory. All my Hoyas are grown outside so I don't have much control over their environment. The susseula was growing through a tree but as the dry season (winter) set in it started to wither. That's when I noticed the main stem had been broken somewhere up in the tree. The wet season rains and high humidity had been keeping it going. After untangling the withered vines from the tree I thought they were a goner for sure but hung them up in the shade house which has automatic irrigation.

A month or so into winter some of the leaves started to pick up a little, then later new leaves started to grow. Now it's becoming a tangled mess in the shade house and is going to have to go outside again. The original plant is still in the pot and part up the tree outside. It hasn't grown anywhere near as fast. This leads me to believe that sussuela prefers to be in reasonable but not too dark shade, high relative humidity, and not necessarily need to be in soil or potting mix. I would suspect it has similar preferences to pottsii. This, however, is based on my experiences in my climate.

Marleneann, I'm the one who sent you cuttings of Hoya australis ssp rupicola a few years ago.

• marleneann
    8 years ago

I remember Tropic ...yes thank you. They are growing and doing OK. I have about twenty...a few have gone to Hoya Heaven

Here are mine on Photobucket. http://s6.photobucket.com/user/Orkidees/library/Garden%20%20Pictures/Hoya%20Album?sort=3&page=1

• marleneann
    8 years ago

gold ...what an amazing collection. Do you sell cuttings? Where do you purchase your hoya plants?

• gold_angel
    8 years ago

marleneann, thank you, I may when they get more established but I get a majority of them from Liddle's nursery, they have an amazing collection and the plants they send are usually a very decent size and aren't crazy expensive, they are located in QLD, I would attach their current catalogue but I can't see when I can attach it, but am happy to email it to you if you wish, I always have trouble finding it online but you can also contact Iris on davidjliddle1@bigpond.com she could also send you a catalogue. :)

• marleneann
    8 years ago

I have purchased a few from Iris. S.A. woulds require you to take a lot inside for winter....does your husband mind them in bed with him? (G)

• gold_angel
    8 years ago

Baa Haaaa.. We've got a back room where I plan to put one of those shelved greenhouse to keep them protected (I will tell hubby about that in winter though) lol

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Marleneann, no doubt they'll be sharing stories with a few too many more of my Hoyas than I care to admit.

• tawnygrisette
    8 years ago

That list is awesome gold_angel!

• marleneann
    8 years ago

So...how many hoya's do you have tawny?

• tawnygrisette
    8 years ago

Too many...or not enough? I have about 80 last time I checked.

• marleneann
    8 years ago

If you ever get desperate for money I will purchase some cuttings from you.

• gold_angel
    8 years ago

Thanks Tawny I wouldn't use it as the hoya bible or anything, it's just info that I've googled and put together, as I have sent many hoyas to hoya heaven ;( so now I try to research as much info as I can on them so I don't love them to death :/, I do find a lot of conflicting info on them sometimes though, one site with say this is a prolific nectar dripper and then another will say there's not much nectar, then I'll read something that says let the plant dry out while other's don't so I have to also judge by looking at the plant, there's a few I won't be getting again for sure, such as the Samoensis that hoya hates me, have terrible luck with diversifolia which I heard was supposed to be an easy hoya, and I really shouldn't have got the Sussuela, Lauterbachii or patella which is already gone to hoya heaven, I've taken a cutting of that but I don't think it will take.. Can't help myself I am just addicted to hoyas and I want them all lol, have got my next list ready for Liddle's but I'm trying to wait so my husband can get them for me for Chrissy :)

• tawnygrisette
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

@gold_angel, I'm sort of a Hoya rebel and don't always grow them the way you "should", or maybe I'm more of Dr. FrankenHoya and just play around with them until I find the right conditions for them (of course, some to their detriment/death). It's nice to see a simple list compiled though, as you mentioned, the info on the interwebz can be conflicting (and overwhelming for me, anyway).

@marleneann, I'm in the States! Not sure how that works shipping cuttings to Oz, but if you've done it before, I have a list up on my profile. Most of my plants are fairly young, but I have squeaked out a few cuttings for other folks. :)

• gold_angel
    8 years ago

Baaa Haa twanyv love it 'Dr Frankenhoya' I call myself the hoya black widow some times as I have sent many to hoya heaven, I feel like I'm just winging it when it comes to hoyas as much as I try to research it has been a lot of trial and error, but I'm obsessed with these plants and just want more lol

made myself up a hoyaholic my to go with my hoyaholicism :p

• gold_angel
    8 years ago

marleneann would be interested in trading some cuttings at some stage, at the moment a majority of my hoyas are on the small side, just had to make cuttings from my largest hoya (boo hoo) my australis it was so big but I thought it was going to die. Any Hoos just a thought :)

• marleneann
    8 years ago

I would love that but unfortunately you have what I have. What Hoyas died on you?

Maybe email me at marleneanneau@yahoo.com and we can go from there.

• gold_angel
    8 years ago

No worries, I will be putting another order in with Liddle's in a couple of weeks, on my list is blashernaezii, palawanica, kanyakumariam, vitiensis, chloratha, excauata, meliflua, and possibly a buottii and dasyantha if they have it... and possibly another patella but I shouldn't.. So far I have sent the following to hoya heaven but have made some cuttings Benguetensis but if it doesn't root I would consider getting this one again, Erythrina, forbesii, Bhutanica, Inconspicua, Samoensis (won't get this one again) Thomsonii and Tomataensis Boo Hoo..

• marleneann
    8 years ago

Sorry Jan can't help you with any of those. I did have blashernaezii but it died. I have vitiensis but only a small plant at this stage. Looks like Iris is our only hope. We are in a bad way (G) If I ever get anything that I think you may be interested in I will email you.

Sponsored