Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cyclonenat

Variegated hoya carnosa

cyclonenat
12 years ago

my variegated hoya with the white on the outside of leaves is not looking too great i dont know if its because less light as its coming into winter here or if its too cold all my other hoyas are fine some of the leaves are a bit wrinkly on this hoya too

Comments (10)

• geosdee
    12 years ago

Hmm, coutld be the cold. I found that mine did poorly when it started getting cold. I have to bring mine all inside for the winter since it gets to cold for them here..

Dee

• squidy
    12 years ago

My KQ (that's what it sounds like you have) was doing fine all winter and it got to like 45f in my house at night.
    Is it near a window? Do you keep the blinds open? Do you open any windows or doors near it? (There could be drafts..)

• cyclonenat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

there is a photo in my post called photos of the plant it has more white than green on the leaves this could be the problem too with the light

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

H. carnosa is one of the cool growing Hoyas, so I think if temperature was the issue, you'd notice it in some of your intermediate and temperate Hoyas first. I have a couple carnosas right by the outside door I always use and the frosty winter drafts never bothered them. KQ was not one of those, but it was actually leaning its leaves up against the glass of the cold window it was in, and it grew vigorously.

Carnosa is also very tolerant of low light conditions. It will darken up and grow more slowly, but otherwise keep plodding along.

Based on my own experiences, I am inclined to think it may be a water issue. Some of my more succulent Hoyas will take a turn for the worse in the winter, even if I'm following my usual watering rules of thumb. I think because it just takes them longer for soil to dry in the winter they don't get the full drying out they crave. Usually they will perk up if I start giving them some serious intervals between watering.

I'm not sure where your posted photo is. Am I being stupid?

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Cyclone Nat,

Did you forget to attach a picture?

No GG, stupid has nothing to do/ it, don't think a pic was ever included, perhaps forgotten?

• pepeuve
    12 years ago

In my opinion:
    The air and sun is no problem.

• peanut01
    12 years ago

I would suspect a shriveled leave to be a watering issue. What size container is your 'KP' growing in? Has it ever dried out completely? This hoya should be very tolerant of cold. I grew it in a very cold garage for an entire winter. This hoya should store water in the leaves and if they are not getting water through their roots then they will deplete their internal resources. Not really a scientific explantation, but an observation.

-David

• cyclonenat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hoya/msg0500444110326.html?14
    thats the post with the pics in it. ill take it out of the pot and see what condition it roots are in its still in the pot that it was bought in

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Cyclonenat...Here's your picture! Is this the right one?

• Denise
    12 years ago

It looks perfectly healthy in that photo, so I assume it's gone downhill since that pic was taken. Is it a new plant? Whenever possible, I always change the soil of a new plant to my mix because I'm used to how to water them with my mix. What kind of mix is it in? If it's just plain potting soil, it's probably too heavy. Dehydrating leaves usually means it's not taking up water, which is a root issue, and if it's in a heavy mix, they may have died back. I would try repotting it in a loose mix and I would also take some cuttings to make sure you can restart it if it's beyond help. Put the cuttings in a little pot then put the pot either in a rooting aquarium or a big bag that you can blow up and seal. Either method will help the cutting rehydrate as it roots.

Denise in Omaha