Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pirate_girl

OK Boys & Girls -- Picture Time

pirate_girl
12 years ago

Hiya All,

Happy summer, Hope everybody had a lovely Memorial Day. I spend lots of the weekend uploading some pix (slow home 'puter).

While no Hoyas are blooming for me right now, I still find some of them quite interesting (foliage wise):

My rebel Green Kerri: completely water grown, no Leca stones, just charcoal chips. Actually, the mother plant fell off the bathroom window w/ a RESOUNDING CRASH, so here's the cutting which resulted from that, exactly 1 year ago.

{{gwi:99873}}

Kinda hard to see, but I believe it's setting 2 peduncles (much thinner stems than regular stems & don't look like new growth usually does on these).

other views:

{{gwi:99871}}

in silhouette against the west window where it grows in LOTS of light. You can get an idea of how much roots it has grown in that time.

{{gwi:99870}}

Here's a whole years worth of water roots ...

{{gwi:99872}}

Comments (9)

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This Kerrii leaf forgot it's supposed to be heart shaped & decided to grow up to be club shaped instead.

• jakalfoshakal
    12 years ago

the club shaped leaf is so cool! That is a whole lot of roots, they do amazingly well grown this way. She looks super happy. Did this one just happen to end up in the vase with the net pot? I love growing with hydroton but im still struggling with containers. Im tired of the dixie cups everywhere. lol

• odyssey3
    12 years ago

Interesting hydro setup. Do you grow all your hydro plants in a basket/vase combo?

• kellyknits
    12 years ago

Wow! Those are impressive roots!

Kelly

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hiya Gang,

Kelly, waving attcha.

I grow in lots of different fashions. I'm very curious & experimental & have only western light w/ which to work. This is the first Hoya I've allowed on this windowsill -- it's otherwise occupied by 5-7 Aloes who called dibs on the west window real estate a long time ago.

When the mother plant crashed & broke (in another room which window is already full of Hoyas), I just improvised this particular setup, for lack of another solution. I knew this Hoya loves growing in water, & happened to have the net pots. Am lucky I've got 3 different sizes. Can't remember where I bought them. It was a temporary solution which worked well enough that I adopted it permanently.

Pls. refer to the other thread 'Questons about Hydroton' at the end of which, where I refer Miztico to a particular search for pix of my first big, 'officially' Hydro growing Hoya purchase. It clearly shows the Leca stones & am impressive (to me anyway) H kerrii w/ white edge variegation.

• scsva
    12 years ago

Where do you get net pots??

Thanks,
    Susan

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry Susan, I haven't a clue where I got the pots. Could be someone in my plant society had them, & sold a few or gave me a few.

Am guessing you might find them online if you search for 'net pots' for planting.

• kukka
    12 years ago

Standard store bought herbs and salads are usually planted in net pots around here, maybe not where you live? It would be an easy way to get them...

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

pirate_girl, love your pics. That is some awesome roots on your kerrii. I have a h.kerri that has been neglected. It was originally growing on a branch of the lychee tree, but half of the tree froze last winter. My hubby left it alone to see if it would come back. I forgot about the hoya growing in the tree and this past winter was another bad one. The rest of lychee tree froze. When the leaves all fell off, there were the kerrii, both regular and verigated, obovata, and two other large leaf hoya. The kerri and obovata have thick leaves, which saved them. The varigated kerrii didnt make it. The others were thin leaved and perrished. I want to cut back the kerrii because it looks dehydrated, and I'm going to try to root in water. I hope it works. You have the perfect window for rooting.

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz