Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amber_m_gw

lets get to know each other!

amber_m
11 years ago

i figured, because im new to the forum and am posting all the time that it might be fun to have a thread to tell everyone something about ourselves...

i am 25 years old and am a stay at home mom of a 3 yr old little boy and a 1 yr old little girl and i live in new york state (NOT NYC)... i LOVE plants but i think the only thing i love more than plants is music. my husband and i collect cds and records and we love pretty much everything such as bluegrass, country (old like johnny cash, not the new stuff), punk, pop punk, ska, reggae, rock, anything related to motown, classical, ect... ask me if i like someone specific and i probably do... i also love to cook, but nothing fancy... my specialty is comfort/soul food... one of my favorite things to do is when the day is almost over, and my kids have calmed down some, i like to pour myself a glass of wine and walk around outside looking at all my beautiful plants, most of which i have no idea what they are because i didnt plant them... if im not walking around outside im sitting and relaxing in my sunroom enjoying my plants in there... i look forward to learning more about everyone else!

Comments (10)

• amber_m
    Original Author
    11 years ago

also if anyone is interested i have a facebook account, feel free to friend request me... http://www.facebook.com/amcmyne or just search amber mcmyne, its the profile with a picture...

• junglemel
    11 years ago

Hi amber m,
    I'm new to the forums as well. Just found this one. I only have a few Hoyas as I'm growing in an apartment, also in NY state, not NYC, lol! I'll probably be mostly lurking as although I grow orchids, cacti, succulents, and carnivorous plants, I'm new to Hoyas. Only been growing them for about a year, so I'm still in the learning phase rather than contributing.

• amber_m
    Original Author
    11 years ago

where in new york are you located? i live in lisle which is right outside of binghamton.

• junglemel
    11 years ago

Right now I'm in Dutchess County, a ways south of you.

• goddess9
    11 years ago

Hi! I'm a 23 year old plant fanatic. I've been dating the love of my life for 3 years. No kids (yet). Half of my collection is succulents and i'm just starting to collect Hoyas. They're addictive!

I live in Philadelphia but was born in northern new jersey. I also collect stones.

• amber_m
    Original Author
    11 years ago

yay! im very happy to see someone my own age interested in plants, its so addictive! my grandmother and mother are both garden/plant/flower nuts so i must have inherited my obsession from them! my husband and i have been together 7 years and married 4 in june. and my new favorite plant is HOYAS!!!!

• rennfl
    11 years ago

Well, I'm 40 and honestly mainly an orchid grower, but the Hoyas are quickly increasing. I have about 50 - 60 different Hoyas now. I'm fortunate to live in a beach town on the Florida panhandle where our weather is great for growing both Hoyas and orchids, many of which I can leave outside year round.

Over the last year, I've been moving all the potted plants to inorganic media which has it's own requirements, but they seem to be quite happy with it.

I have three sons from ages 20 - 12 that are pretty good about helping me take care of "my plants" - oh and I have a lovely hubby who supports my obsession also.

I'm traveling now a good bit for work, so I post inconsistently. While I check the site when I'm on the road on my tablet, it is difficult to post on it or my phone.

Renee

• alavoneluvhoya
    11 years ago

I am new returning to the forum. My name is Alavone 28 years old and have at least 80 plants in my home. 20 of them are hoyas. I am a local florist and have 3 kids one was born a month ago! I am married 6 years to my best friend. I am from California but now reside in Abilene Texas.

• Asterope
    11 years ago

Hi all :)

I am new in these forums - 32, from Queensland, Australia (nice and tropical!)
    I have a hoya addiction (about 40 different species so far!),
    doing my doctoral studies in genetics, long term partner of 10+ years, a woosy whippet that looks like a tassie tiger, two pythons and a goldfish :)

Very keen gardener, with more than a passing interest in entomology and mycology... all of biology interests me actually, especially if its slimy, bitey, green or gross!

Looking forward to learning more on these forums :)

• cyclonenat
    11 years ago

Hi im Natalie im 24 from New Zealand. I have a few hoyas all common ones including carnosa both variegated carnosa, a few pubicaly x's, moteskei, the curly leafed one, linearis, sheperdii fishtail hoya and serpens maybe some others

I also have coffee,cinnamon,apricot from seed,2 avacados from seed,2 dragonfruit,2 tamarillos,one orchid,icecream bean,sapote,japanese raisin,gooseberry,blackcurrant,rasberry,fig,lemonade and some succulents

Im trying to grow all my own fruit etc.

Its good to see there is someone from across the ditch so we could maybe swap some stuff maybe.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler