Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amber_m_gw

cuttings with flower spindels on them?

amber_m
11 years ago

hi, i know i should probably be posting in the exchanges for this. but would anyone be willing to share any cuttings a flower spindel on them? i dont have any plants to share since im just starting out but i would be more than happy to crochet some plant hangers to trade. they wouldnt be super nice because im just starting to learn how to make them, but if you have seen any of my other posts, such as the "pictures of my hoyas" post or the "pictures of my plants" post in the houseplant forum you can get an idea of what they look like. its just that im so tight on money that im not really "allowed" so but any more plants, i was allowed to spend $40 for mothers day on plants but that will probably be it for the rest of the year. even if you have cuttings with out spindels that you would be willing to share i would be so happy. thank you for reading my post.

Comments (10)

• Denise
    11 years ago

Glad to meet you, Amber. "Tight budget" seems to be the battle call for many of us the last couple years! LOL! It sounds like fun to learn to make plant hangers - I always wanted to learn how to do macrame, and still hope to some day. Back in the 70's, I used to find some very elaborate macrame hangers that were absolute works of art! You should post some photos of your hangers.

Denise in Omaha

• amber_m
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ok heres some of my hangers...

{{gwi:923573}}

Source: Uploaded by user via Amber on Pinterest

{{gwi:952658}}

{{gwi:923567}}

ive just been making them out of scrap skeins of yarn that ive had lying around...

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

Amber I think those would look great made out of natural Jute cord. I'm not sure if the cord would be too stiff and difficult to work with?

Mike

• Laura_Carnosa
    11 years ago

Hemp cord would be a good material to use. A little softer than jute, but same colour.

I've made hemp jewelry for years. Miniature macrame!

• amber_m
    Original Author
    11 years ago

i was actually just getting ready to write back and say that hemp is probably going to be my twine of choice.
    laura - do you ever sell any of your hemp jewlery?

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Just a caution as I did macrame hangers decades ago. Natural fibers like hemp or jute (or cotton & linen) will rot over time (eventually), especially given exposure to water. While I prefer their natural coloring to commercially dyed synthetics, there is this hazard about natural fibers in this application.

My personal preference was butcher's twine (thinner than hemp, jute, easier to manipulate & knot, but all cotton), this also rots given that it's all natural. Made nice belts & great handbags.

Just don't want to risk anyone's big, beautiful plants (& maybe pots too) to come crashing down on the floor unexpectedly.

PS: Amber these hangers do look quite nice, hope they yield you some cuttings.

• Laura_Carnosa
    11 years ago

PG- All your points are well taken. Thank-you for reminding about natural fibers rotting. I'd fogotten. Which sounds dumb, but I'm honest. Ha! I'd love to see your bags & belts. Do you have any pictures anymore?

Which also reminded me of the awesome simple hangers I made last year from some durable polyester-type rope!

Amber- I'm afraid I do not sell my hemp jewely, because I'd barely make enough to cover my costs. So I give as gifts. Sad I can go to the dollar store & buy a hemp bracelet for $1 that takes an hour to make! Sad.

Here is a link that might be useful: hangers

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

I always think the same thing when I see those startlingly cheap bracelets. Crafting is so expensive. But these bracelets rise to a whole different level when they are hand crafted by a friend.

I do think these hangers are very pretty in the yarn, especially the blue one. And my plants get knocked off the shelves 50x more frequently than they will fall from a worn hanger. :P

• alavoneluvhoya
    11 years ago

Seeing the spider plant in your picture... Have you seen the variegated Bonnie spider? it looks like a spider plant that has gotten a perm. I have 2 of them and can include some babies when I send your cutting as wel as the hawaiian spider plant its markings are opposite of a regular spider. better jump on the offer my girl friends are already bugging me to see if my spiders have thrown babies for them this spring....

• amber_m
    Original Author
    11 years ago

i do have one of the bonnies, but i recieved a refund from the store i ordered it from because it came to me so badly damaged that i dont think its gonna make it, its down to three leaves... i sent you an email discussing the cuttings, i would definatly love some of both spiders but as you will see in my email i wont be able to get cuttings from you, my husband decided hes not going to give me the money for postage... im sorry... i was so excited to get cuttings too.

Sponsored
More Discussions