Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rooting and potting...?

Posted by lori_40 Ontario (My Page) on
Mon, May 24, 10 at 19:08

I had some clippings from my hoya "fishtail" plant in water.They rooted very easily and i have planted them in little starter pots, however the leaves are really close to the dirt, is this Ok? My original plant has several leaves that are tight into the dirt, I just wanted to make sure that was the way to start them too. I'm hoping to trade them in hopes of hoya "kerrii" I've never rooted a hoya before, oh, and also, the original plant has never bloomed, does that matter? Thanks for reading, Lori

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rooting and potting...?

The leaves being close to the soil is fine. Fine, too, that it hasn't bloomed yet.

Good luck!
Kelly

o

I almost always partially bury a set of leaves when rooting cuttings. The roots often come from near the leaf nodes but many species will root all along the stem and if the humidity and moisture levels are optimum you can see this above the potting mix.
The fish tail Hoya is called Hoya polyneura and it's not an easy one to bloom. This is a high altitude/cool growing species that likes cool nights and for many plants that difference in temperature can help initiate blooming.

Mike

o

Thanks Mike and Kelly, I did not know it was a finicky bloomer, however, I wondered why i never have seen anyone post a picture of their's in bloom. Thanks again!!!

o

Yep, blooming is a rarity on this one! Mine puts out peduncles and blasts. It did have one umbel bloom last year. I'll try to remember to post the picture tonight!

Kelly

o

Here's the one peduncle that actually bloomed March 2009

113_1392

o

Lori If you pay for shipping.My place to yours should be around 11.00 to 12.00 dollars.I have a just rooting one that I can send.

Cindy

o
flowers

Kelley I hope one day to see flowers on my hoya.
Very nice.

Cindy

o

Cindy,

I hope you see flowers as well. I was so used to mine developing peduncles and blasting them that I stopped paying attention and didn't even noticed the developed buds until they were very close to flowering! No signs of bud activity since! Mine desperately needs to be repotted - the plastic pot is badly cracked.

Kelly

o

Yes Cindy, if you have hoya "kerri" I would definitely make a trade with one of my "fishtail" starter plants. How do we go about this? I've never mailed a plant before, you have to fill me in on the packing details. I'm excited, Thanks, Lori

o
trade

Lori if its ok I all ready have fishtail hoya. It was just given to me.If you have some thing else or you could pay for the shipping I will just send it to you.Can you leave your email then I can contact you about shipping.

Cindy

o

Cindy, my e-mail is lori.e.greer@sympatico.ca

o

Kelly, I love the blooms! The cuttings I got from you...I'm still waiting for blooms. I guess I should be happy that its still alive, as I've heard fishtail prefers it on the cooler side(like much like Serpens). I'm not giving up yet,lol...

o

so cute!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here