Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID Hoya # 2

Posted by Diana_Gale none (My Page) on
Thu, May 30, 13 at 19:10

Could this be Angustifolia?

it has never bloomed, but I am going to make a concerted effort to feed and give it better light.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID Hoya # 2

fyi - it does not react well to more than a dribble of water!

o

I would assume this is wayetii or kentiana. I have both plants and the differences between them are not that outstanding even when they're standing next to each other, so it's hard to tell from a photograph.

As far as angustifolia goes, this is what CB has to say about the name:

Hoya angustifolia Traill was published in 1827. It turned out that it was a narrow leafed clone of Hoya pottsii Traill, native to the Asian mainland. Once used at the rank of species, even though vacated, the code does not allow the name to be used again by a different species. A. D. E. Elmer gave a Philippine species the name of Hoya angustifolia, which is what I believe Mr. Smoley has. Elmer’s use of that name wasn’t tenable due to the previous publication and to the fact that he published in English and the Code mandates that it be in Latin.

Source: PS-TheHoyan Vol. 9, #4

o

I just found an old tag down inside the pot that says "Carnosa Aff."

That can't be right... can it?

I think it's Kentiana. I bought a Wayetii, which should be here soon. I'll compare! :)

This post was edited by Diana_Gale on Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 20:17

o

100% its not a Carnosa aff.

o

must have been a mislaid tag!

o
RE: ID Hoya 2

It's carnosa ssp. carnosa. I've had mine a few years and it's pretty large and still no blooms for me, either. I love the lime-green leaves.

Denise in Omaha

o

Are you sure Denise? The leaves and stems look much narrower than the pics of ssp. I can find on the 'net.

ssp. Carnosa at Vermont site shows a widening of the leaves in the middle, and the stems near a leaf cluster near the bottom are very fat.

http://vermonthoyascom.fatcow.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/DSCF1369.jpg

o

Denise - I did find one picture (Xuan, on this forum) that looks very much like mine. You may be right about it being ssp. carnosa.

What plant would it have been bred with?

o

Well, I received a cutting of H. kentiana, and this is definitely not that! I know that kentiana has fat/juicy leaves! very succulent. No way I would have w/o holding the cutting.

o

Today I received wayetii and can definitely tell the difference between the 3

o

This plant may be H. mekongensis if what I am reading is correct

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hoya/msg110856461321.html

o

I took a bunch of cuttings to share this with others - hopefully someone can get it to bloom so we can see if it has spotted buds like H. mekongensis!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here