Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mel_10

First Buds!

mel_10
12 years ago

I am so excited to be able to finally post some of my own buds! This is a speckled leaf carnosa that has been growing like a weed for the last year and has decided it is time to flower. This is my first ever hoya to bloom, so I'm anxiously waiting for them open. This carnosa has about a dozen peduncles forming, but only two that are actually forming buds. Thanks for looking!

{{gwi:953229}}

{{gwi:953232}}

These were taken about two days ago.

Mel

Comments (13)

• geosdee
    12 years ago

Great Growing Mel. I love carnosa, nothing exotic but boy can it bloom.

Dee

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Congrats Mel...Isn't it exciting especially for your first time blooms. Its beautiful!

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

Congrats Mel! Carnosa is my most sentimental plant in my collection and I'll be jumping for joy the day she'll start budding up! She's also growing like crazy for me too! I can't wait to see when it blooms!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

That's so wonderful, Mel! Congratulations! Great pictures too. :) There isn't a Hoya bud I don't get excited about. Just like kittens!

• pepeuve
    12 years ago

Congrats Mell.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Mel I have a feeling that after you see those first Hoya blooms that you will be out shopping for more Hoyas before long. Congratulations and keep us updated.
    Also please tell us what you think of the Hoya carnosa fragrance. Some of us love the scent while others not so much but describing it is a little difficult. I think the best we can do is sweet artificial chocolate with a hint of a floral scent.

Mike

• mel_10
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone! I keep checking on the buds throughout the day, but they are not moving along fast enough! I did notice this afternoon that a third peduncle is starting to put out buds.

Mike-The Hoya bug has already bit me. Last fall I ordered cuttings of fungii, lobii, "Pink Silver", mindorensis, and australis (though I'm not sure which australis as it was only labeled that) and am happy to announce they are all merrily shooting out new leaves and vines. Fungii already had an old peduncle on it so hopefully it won't be too long before I see blooms on it as well.

Mel

• Denise
    12 years ago

I'm really excited for you, Mel! You'll find you get just as excited at the first blooming of any species as you do with this VERY first blooming. You picked some great species for blooming, BTW. Fungii is an early bloomer. Depending on your ssp. of australis, it certainly could be, too. (Is it fuzzy or smooth?) Lobbii and 'PS' are pretty easy bloomers, too, though for me, 'PS' is a little stingy for as HUGE as it gets...

Congrats!

Denise in Omaha

• banannas
    12 years ago

Question for anyone knowledgeable,

After you start to see the very first signs of a peduncle on a carnosa and a compacta, how long does it take for it grow and open?

• mel_10
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Banannas - I'm not sure I am all that knowledgeable, but from my current experience it takes a while. The peduncles on my carnosa formed about a year ago, and the first one didn't actually start forming buds until about a month ago. I haven't had a blooming hoya yet, so I don't know if this is typical or not.

Mel

• kellyknits
    12 years ago

Congratulations, Mel!

• mel_10
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is an update on the buds. This is the one that is farthest along. Sorry the photos are not the best....

{{gwi:953235}}

{{gwi:953238}}

Mel

• banannas
    12 years ago

wow, those buds seem to be growing really fast. I'm so excited and secretly jealous, (well not so secret now). Congrats!

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County