Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denise_gw

A couple first-timers...

Denise
12 years ago

Well, kind of...Both of these have budded up for me, but aborted or, well, opened in a less-than-impressive manner. First, my macrophylla variegata (and plain mac) have budded several times. Then what tends to happen is one bud opens, then maybe another, or some abort while others open so the peduncle looks unimpressive. Well, I finally had one that several opened at the same time:

Ok, there's still a couple unopened, but it looks awfully pretty anyway.

Then there's callistrophylla. I got a budded up peduncle last year, but it aborted. When I took it down to water several days ago, there was a peduncle budding! Think I probably posted about it in another post. It was the one that had buds with younger buds behind the older buds. Anyway, took it down to check on them today and looky here!...

Are those pretty or what?! I wouldn't have thought the flowers could possibly upstage the fabulous leaves, but they do come close!

Denise in Omaha

Comments (16)

• dmichael619
    12 years ago

Hi Denise,

Congrats on the callistophylla flowers. I have had my plant now for about 8 years and not a flower to speak of to this very day!!! It has had tiny peduncles before but they eventually fell off and never flowered. The plant seems to have kicked into overdrive with new growth this year,something it's never done before and it does have some newly formed peduncles so maybe this year will be THE year!!

david

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

Oooh, congrats Denise! Both are really pretty! I really love that variegated mac! Like I need another hoya to add to my list lol.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Congratulations on the new bloomers Denise. I really like the colour of the callistophylla flowers, how would you describe it? To me it almost looks like a Dijon mustard that fades into a burgundy or mahogany but that may just be my computer monitor.

Mike

• Denise
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the kind comments. Mike, the color in the photo is pretty true. Brownish/burgundy tips, almost golden in the middle and white centers. Definitely interesting!

Denise in Omaha

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Wow...those are really Pretty, Denise! Still waiting for mine to grow a peduncle but at least I know what I have to look forward to! You're right about how both of those hoyas have such beautiful foliage its great to see the blooms are so beautiful also...I love them both!

• rennfl
    12 years ago

They are both lovely, but I particularly like the callistophylla. And congrats on the flowers.

• cpawl
    12 years ago

Beautiful Denise,I agree the color of callistrophylla flowers are pretty.

Cindy

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Beautiful flowers! I'm partial to the mac flowers, they're so dainty looking with the shades of pink and smaller corona. Perfect for spring. Great description of the callistophylla colors, Mike.

/David Keeping my fingers crossed for your success this year!

• geosdee
    12 years ago

I love those flowers on the Mac Denise, but then I am partial to pink flowers and they have the blush pink.

David if anyone deserves blooms this year it is you, after 8 years I think you have had the patience of Job.

Dee

• golden_ca_2000
    12 years ago

I love the delicate flowers of your mac.... so is the first flower the variegated or the plain mac.... I would like to order that one and would like to be sure....Or are the flowers of the plain and the variegated the same....The flower is beautiful!!! thanks Denise... Lynn

• Denise
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lynn,

They're pretty much the same, but this was the variegated form. I've had peduncles bud up and when they open, they often times either never fully open, or they open one here, one there, or they abort before they open. So I was glad to finally get one that opened all the way, even though a few flowers hadn't opened yet. Both variegated and regular are worth growing, but I do have problems with variegated's new leaves - sometimes they come in with weird shapes, or the leaves drop before they get very big. I've never figured out why...

Denise in Omaha

• banannas
    12 years ago

Denise,

By the way, I went out and got both the foliar feed and the concentrate of Eleanor's VF-11. I have already started to see a difference in their growth. From your experience does it really make a difference if you use distilled water? and is ok for use with every watering or do you have to worry about fertilizer burn?

Thanks again for the tip!

Anne

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hi Anne,

Can you clarify pls. about this you mentioned above:

" foliar feed and the concentrate of Eleanor's VF-11."

I use E VF-11 am only aware of a single strength.

Hiya Denise,

Just beautiful both sets of bloom! I too am more for the varieg Macrophy blooms for their dainty (perfect description for them) delicate, pink loveliness.

Nice job, bet they've got you thinking (finally) Happy Spring!!

• Denise
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Anne, I use VF-11 every time I water. Right now, I'm only using it in my spray bottle because I'm on a VERY tight budget. I don't use distilled water - but I do use purified water. I would use one or the other when spraying only to avoid mineral deposits on the leaves.

Thanks, Karen. I see on Eleanor's site that she offers "ready to use" VF-11 in a spray bottle. I hadn't noticed that before, so maybe it's new. I wouldn't bother buying it that way since I've been mixing it myself for several years.

Denise in Omaha

• kellyknits
    12 years ago

Beautiful, Denise!

My callistophylla was budding prior to vacation...the peduncles dropped while I was gone though...

Kelly

• banannas
    12 years ago

Karen,

I second what Denise is saying. The concentrate I was referring to was the regular that you dilute in water. Years of diluting acids in a lab shot me calling it a concentrate. I got the foliar sprayer with the foliar level of dilution just because I really liked the sprayer when I played with it at the store and a good sprayer will cost you just as much.

Denise, thanks for the advice!

Sponsored