Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
potting a hoya

Posted by sheilahanne Canada (My Page) on
Sun, May 5, 13 at 21:10

I have had a hoya in the same pot for fourteen years. It has just had its first bloom ever, and it is over twenty years old. I am wanting to repot it but am wondering when is the proper time?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: potting a hoya

This is a good time to repot your hoya.
Make sure you add some orchid bark, perlite, peat moss, and vermiculite to your new potting mix.

If you're afraid to repot your hoya, you can dig out the old soil on top a few inches and add new soil to the top.

o

Thanks. I am a newbee to the hoya craze. I have always loved the hoya I have had. Only recently even knew what it was- that was after its lovely bloom. Thank you for your information. Do you know if there is a proper pot material- I read that terrocata is not the best choice?

o

Plastic pots are fine, some of use save terra cotta pots for our larger Hoyas that need the weight of the pot to remain stable. I use both for my Hoyas & either is fine.

o

I think i have a Pink Silver-very pretty leaves. Is it that slow growing after twenty years? Or have I had the black thumb? I cant believe it is so old and still so small. Any other suggeestions? And Thanks-

o

Well, if it is Pink Silver they bloom fairly easy if given enough light. So it probably isn't getting enough light and nutrients since it needs to be repotted! I bet if you repot, give plenty of light, and fertilize moderately, it will just take off in both foliage and blooms!! Congratulations!

o

I know, its like I had a baby or something. Ok... When do you repot? I have another one as well that just had its first bloom-all white flowers, light green round leaves. 10 years old... I dont know when I potted it. last

o

I would used either plastic or a glazed pot - Pink Silver can be quite a water guzzler and unglazed clay dries out too fast. At least for the way I water. I used clay pots for my Hoyas that like to go dry, like kerrii and obovata. If you use an all purpose potting mix, be sure to add some perlite or orchid bark to enhance drainage.

Pink Silver should be a fast grower, so I'm betting once you repot it that it will take off.

Denise in Omaha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here