Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haxuan

The Square leaf has opened

haxuan
12 years ago

My Square leaf opened two umbels last night. Here's to share with you.

Also, I have observed something interesting. Please look at the photos below.

This photo shows the side of the plant that was facing towards light. You can see that it has all leaves and no buds.

This photo shows the side of the plant that was facing the opposite direction to the first one. You can see that it has all buds and not many leaves.

I never rotate the plant. What do you reckon?

Xuan

Comments (37)

• dmichael619
    12 years ago

Mine has buds on it for the first time. As of this morning they were not open yet but may be now. I had to work a long shift today and it was dark when I got home so i'll check tomorrow and see if they opened yet or not,

Nice pics Xuan

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

BEAUTIFUL Xuan...thanks for posting the pictures. Now more than ever I can't wait to see blooms on my plant! I love it. GG mentioned on your other post that the buds remind her of "fat little lozenges"...great description GG!

Xuan, from your pictures it looks like buds form on the side that doesn't face the light? Quite interesting since you would guess the side with all the buds is the side that gets more light.

David, can't wait to see your blooms too...

• rennfl
    12 years ago

That is just beautiful. Mine grew a penduncle, and started budding up, but the buds are turning yellowish now, they are about to drop. So I especially enjoy seeing yours.

Maybe I need to move it into more shade?

Renee

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

I love how everything about those blooms is rounded. The flowers have a sort of puffed up appearance that makes me smile.

Congratulations Xuan for blooming your plant so well.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Awwww. Is there anything not cute about this plant? It's just beautiful. Thanks so much for all the pictures. You gave me a big smile.

• haxuan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your interest in my plant.

Pug: exactly what I thought: the brighter side would have more peduncles. Wrong, huh!

I will share more photos when more blooms open. Just love this plant: the leaves are unique and the blooms so adorable :-))

Xuan

• haxuan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I wish to share some more photos of the opening up of the buds.

Look so cute, don't they?

And a fully opened umbel.

Thanks for looking.

Xuan

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Gorgeous Xuan, they should be used in a Bridal Bouquet, its that pretty!

Can't wait to see those in person. I'm hopeful! Thanks for the lovely pictures.

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Renee, I'm sorry your buds are yellowing...that's happened to me with a couple of my hoyas too. Its so depressing! At least it has peduncles and just means you will get them again. Is yours getting any direct sun? Maybe a little less light is the trick to this one? Certainly seems that way with Xuan's hoya.

• haxuan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Pug: I'm glad you came early.

With regards light and Square leaf, please note that I do have shade cloth on the sides of my shade house. I hang this plant on the east side, so the morning light gets to it on one side, every day of the year, and that's the side with all the leaves.

It's just my observation but maybe you can infer.

Please share a photo of your plant. I really want to see how big it is now. I hope it will bloom soon for you.

It's the rainy season in my place so most of my hoyas are blooming like mad :-)

Xuan

• Denise
    12 years ago

Stunning! I've fought hard to get a little pot of 'Square Leaf' going - a cutting from this trade, one from that trade, a few came from Thailand that I had to nurse for about 10 months before they started coming around... My little potfull is looking pretty good at last. And now I know what I have to look foward to someday. Can't wait!

Denise in Omaha

• lovingmy4babies
    12 years ago

Those are really beautiful- love the little droplets of nectar(?)too.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Gosh Xuan,

So beautiful, you really do give us all quite the lift here sharing these beauties. Interesting observation about the buds being on the more shaded side.

Excellent photos too, you really gift us a lot sharing these pix, so thanks very much!!

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Hi Xuan, I'm guessing by the way you grow yours it must need a little less light to bloom or at least less sunlight. Looks like some sun is good for growths and leaves but not necessarily for the blooms at least with this particular hoya...quite a mystery since most hoyas bloom better with more light. It could also be a coincidence too? Just a guess.

I use to give mine some direct sun in the winter...but now the sun is way too intense...I accidentally left it for a couple of hours in direct sun after I watered it a few weeks ago and a couple of the leaves got sunburned. I moved it to brighter light but doesn't get direct sun now...hopefully that will do the trick.

Here's mine...it certainly looks mature enough to bloom so I'm very hopeful it will soon. I do love it though even w/out blooms but it sure would be great to see them after seeing yours! I'll keep you posted.

• dmichael619
    12 years ago

Xuan, how long do the flowers last on your sp. square leaf????

I went out to dinner this evening and it was just about dark when I got back in. It was still bright enough though that I could run out and still see the hoyas and the buds have begun to pop open on my plant. I will try to get pictures tomorrow for posting. By the way I grow my plant in nothing but hydroton as I found it a bit tricky to grow and keep alive in soil. Since growing it in hydroton it thrives and my plant is comparable in size to Pugs.

david

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

So cute! I grow mine in coco husk chunks. It is one of the most easy going plants I have. Which is a big change from when I first got it; restarting it as cuttings did the trick. I'm happy, because then I get to look forward to those cute little blooms here someday.

I think I need buttons that look like those flowers, they would be awesome!

• haxuan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Many thanks for your interest in my photos.

David, actually I forgot how long it lasted last year. I will take note this time and will let you know.

So far, the first umbel on my plant opened Wednesday evening (my time) and the blooms are still looking good today, Saturday.

I look forward to seeing photos of your plant.

Pug: your plant looks good. I hope it will bloom for you real soon.

Xuan

• cena60
    12 years ago

Awesome~ Xuan, so glad to see your yard (again) and beautiful plants!!!

• dmichael619
    12 years ago

My sp. Square leaf hoya flowers have finally opened all except one lone bud which has not yet popped!!!

• banannas
    12 years ago

Wow, I am so jealous of you all for having such a beautiful plant. Where did you get yours from?

Thanks!

• haxuan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cena: thanks for your kind words.

Bananas: I got my plant locally.

Mike: Your blooms look yummy! :-) Thanks for sharing.

Up till today, the blooms on my SL are still fresh-looking. It's now day 5.

Xuan

• dmichael619
    12 years ago

Banannas,

I got my plant from Asiatica nursery a few years ago.

Xuan I usually do taste the nectar from the different hoya flowers but forgot to taste this one. I'll get it tomorrow though!!!

• banannas
    12 years ago

Curses, well hopefully as the nursery in my neighborhood is starting to carry more and more hoyas it will be an offering, until then I guess I will lust after yours.

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

I got a small cutting from a nice member...then a few months later my DH bought a small rooted plant from an Ebay seller. One of the best Anniversary presents I've ever gotten(and I've gotten a few hoyas as gifts) :o)

David, I LOVE your blooms. I'm patiently waiting.

Xuan, I think I spy a peduncle (I don't want to jinx it) so many things can still go wrong...Will update "if" it happens.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

/Xuan You are so talented with your camera and your plants. I just love the picture of the buds just starting to open up. Very interesting about the buds opening on the shadier side, although it could just be the habit of the plant, I suppose, since the leaves like the sunny side fine. David, did you notice a similar pattern in your conditions?

/Pug Your plant looks so awesome and well-balanced. How is it that all your plants end up looking like show specimens?

/Bananas I got mine from SRQ. Joni prices them pretty low, so they must grow well for her. I got mine during her summer sale tho, which was extra awesome blossom.

• haxuan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Greedyghost: I agree. Pug's plant looks awesome, a show specimen indeed.

Mike: look at these drops of nectar, I just took the photo now.

Pug: yes, please share how you keep your plant so tidy and balance.

Xuan

• kellyknits
    12 years ago

Wow, those pictures are AWESOME! Mine mine has had a peduncle for over a year, but nothing so far!

Kelly

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Thanks GG and Xuan for the kind comments...believe me "if" they look nice its strictly by "accident",lol Pure luck! I don't do any thing special I'm afraid. Most of my hoyas are nowhere that tidy or nice looking, more like they are out of control and scraggly looking! Not a show piece at all :o)

Xuan, that picture with the Nectar dripping is one beautiful picture...Wow!! I can't get over how cool it looks! TFS!

• banannas
    12 years ago

GG - I have heard of SRQ. It is good to hear that you have been happy with the plants that you have gotten from her. I have been clipping all the discussions about rooting clippings. The square leaf that you got from SRQ was it rooted already or a clipping?

I think the first mail order plant I get (probably a hoya) should be rooted if not for my sake than it's own.

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

WOW!!! What awesome pictures. Now I've moved the sp square leaf to the top of my list. This has become a 'MUST HAVE' after seeing these pictures. I love the unusual and this on is on the top of the list.
    Would anyone like to send me cuttings? I'll gladly pay for the postage.

• patrick51
    12 years ago

Bannanas....you CAN order rooted plants from SRQ Hoyas...but, right now Joni is working on her website..so, in a few days, you'll be able to order again. I've ordered many, many, many times from Joni...she has a great selection available, undoubtedly the biggest selection commercially available in the oountry...and still, it's not enough!! LOL She ships very, very reasonably, great plants, perfectly potted...often with hoops and dragonfly clips attached. Best wishes!! Patrick

• banannas
    12 years ago

So thanks to both GG and now Patrick for furthering my addiction I have gone to SRQs page and now have a list of 33 hoyas I want including the square leaf. So many choices... so little space :(......

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

LOL Banannas!

I did get square leaf as a rooted plant from Joni. I believe I've read someone on here (Quinn, perhaps?) say that it is not difficult to root, though.

Apparently Joni's bringing back some form of request system, so if you're not comfortable with rooting a particular plant yourself, she'll notify you when it is available. Of course the site's down now, but I believe that's what I read.

• banannas
    12 years ago

Wouldn't that be amazing GG, a request form to get them already rooted. Somebody pinch me!

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Well, Joni did actually used to do that. You could tell her what you wanted and she'd root it for you and post updates on her website about its current status, until it was ready to be purchased. But I believe it eventually got to be too much.

What it IS currently available now is that if you click on a currently unavailable plant, to open up its page, at the bottom there is a notification button and she'll email you when she has that plant for sale again. Which is about as good as you can reasonably expect, IMO.

It's possible that these subscriptions will also give her an idea of what people are hankering for, and theoretically allow her to supply it quicker, given the logical limitations, of course. It's my impression, that Joni is the kind of person who keeps her ear to the ground, concerning the current values, tastes, and fads of the Hoya communities. You know how it is: some growers are responsive and some are just going to make us adapt to them lol!

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

Sorry, haven't been around too much this past week. Yeah, mine did root pretty easily. I received it as a rooted plant but something went wrong with it, it kept going downhill no matter what I did so I took a few cuttings of it. I put rooting gel on the cuttings and put it in a bag at first, then in my orchid terrarium. The cuttings did well. The original plant continued to decline and died. To this day I have no idea what was wrong with it, but obviously it wasn't a system wide thing, as the cuttings are still going strong and have become one of my most trouble free hoyas.

Get one from Joni, they are pretty darn inexpensive now. I remember when she used to charge at least $10 more. They must grow really well for her.

I remember the wish list fondly. That is how I got some of my earliest hoyas. I was sad when she quit doing that, but then she started offering cuttings. I actually like that too, it lets me start my plants in my growing medium of choice. But the wish list was great.

• banannas
    12 years ago

Well thanks for the advice and encouragement as always. I will take my tired and sunburn self to bed and drool over Joni's site just before I drift off to sleep.

Sponsored
More Discussions