Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suetran1

Please, can you id this plant?

suetran1
14 years ago

Few years ago, I bought a cutting from The Violet Barn, it named Pub. Chimera, (or Red Buttons)(1).

A few years later, I got another cutting Pub. Red Button (2) from a member GW, which is I just traded to Brad.

The Pub. Red buttons (1), now have a lot of flowers, and I just find out 2 different colors on the flowers.

Is that possibly my plant is Pub.Royal Hawaiian Purple?

Can anyone help?

p.s. Tigerdawn and Hong, your cuttings was from this plant. I think we have to change the name soon.

This is Pub. Red buttons (2), Traded to Brad

Pub. Red Buttons (1) from The Violet Barn

Comments (11)

• moonwolf_gw
    14 years ago

Wow, Sue!

What nice looking plants you have! The Red Buttons you sent me is going to bloom any day now! It only has one set of blooms, but I'm excited anyway!

As I understand it, Red Buttons and Royal Hawaiian Purple can have similar flowers. I know when new foilage appears on RB the leaves are red and on RHP they're purple/violet and have more silver markings than on RB. On the plant you gave me, two leaves look like a very dark red/maroon color. Sorry I can't give you a proper ID! Just wanted to share.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• suetran1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Brad, I'm sure you got the right one P.B.
    Now, I will be begging Jan for a cutting from her P.B.
    sue

• quinnfyre
    14 years ago

Chimera and Red Buttons are listed separately on Violet Barn as of right now. Maybe it is something they did more recently? As I understand it, Red Buttons is its own thing, whereas Chimera and RHP are the same thing. My Chimera is years away from blooming, so I won't be able to compare flowers anytime soon, but I do know that the new growth on mine is dark purple, almost black, with silvery streaks. They take a while to finally grow into its mature leaf color, so I get to enjoy these lovely colored bronze-y leaves for a good long time.

Your Red Buttons is a wonderful large size, Sue! My Chimera is about one thousandth of that size. About 2 inches tall and 7 leaves. It hasn't hit a growth spurt yet this season. I'm hoping it decides to soon!

• suetran1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks you quinnfyre, on the label when I bought is Chimera, so now I'm sure my plant is not Red buttons. Since I got the little cutting, about 5 years. I cut only 2 times this year for trade. I got more than 12 peduncles this year, beautiful flowers, really enjoyed it.
    sue

• patrick51
    14 years ago

Sue....magnificent plants and flowers....you surely have a "green thumb"!! Fondly, Patrick

• haxuan
    14 years ago

Sue, your plants look gorgeous. Agree with Patrick, you surely have that "green thumb".

Xuan

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    14 years ago

Sue, what a gorgeous plants! you do have green thumb!
    RHP,2 different color clooms. A friend in Hawaii said it's due to sugar content.

REd Button.

• suetran1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Patrick, Xuan, Jan.
    NO, I 'm only have a brown thumb!! ..LOL
    Jan, your P. RB make me jealous, I loved it, can't say more.
    sue

• suetran1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jan, flowers has 2 colors, but RHP, their leaves has a lot of speckles.
    I just checked the leaves of my plant, leaves has very little of speckle, young leaves are dark purple.
    I'm confusing now, as Quinnfyre described, I think I will keep the name, "Chimera" the original name.
    What do ya think?

• tigerdawn
    14 years ago

The plant you sent me has very dark maroon new growth. The mature leaves have very few speckles. Whatever the name is, it is really starting to grow fast!

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

I always thought that Chimera was the name given to variety that has bicolor spotted or splashed corollas. The leaves of the plant may be very similar to Royal Hawaiian Purple but the flowers strange characteristic is what the plant was named for.

Mike

Sponsored