Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haxuan

Pug, how do you care for your H. sigillatis?

haxuan
12 years ago

Pug, I remembered some time ago, you shared a photo of the blooms of your H. sigillatis.

I've just acquired a somewhat mature plant of sigillatis and wish to know how you care for yours so that it bloomed.

I've read past info found on here about this hoya, ie...it's a very slow grower. Apart from that, could you please share how much water, light, fertilizer...etc... does it need to grow and bloom.

Thank you very much. Here's a photo of my new plant. I got it from Thailand.

Xuan

Comments (14)

• Denise
    12 years ago

Xuan,

I got mine from Thailand last summer. It came to me very healthy and I was happy it looked so great because I'd been struggling with a cutting I'd gotten the year before. I put the cutting in with the new one and it's done better since, like the healthy plant helped it in some way. But I'll be curious to see Pug's reply, too, because mine hasn't bloomed yet. It's such a beautiful plant, though, that it's one I'd keep even if it never blooms for me.

But you're right - it's a slow grower. At least it has been for me so far. Maybe it will take off for me this summer.

Denise in Omaha

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Hi Xuan, Your Sigillatis is very pretty! My sigillatis suffered a few months ago :o( Not sure what happened? It was growing nicely and even bloomed...I cared for it the same way I always have...but sometime during the winter it took a turn for the worse and I lost several vines...vines just started drying up and dying...new growth stopped, so its smaller now. Seems to have stabilized a bit...so we'll see how it does from here. I use Gritty mix(from Al's recipe)...I water it well when its just slightly dry but I don't let it dry out...seems to like it just a tad "moist"...I fertilize it when its growing at 1/2 strength once a week. It gets very bright light(NO direct sun) except a little winter sun as our sun any other time of the year is waaaay too strong.

Denise, I'm glad yours is doing well.

Apparently, everything I've heard/read about this hoya is true! It really is very finicky and temperamental,lol...

• haxuan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Pug: Many thanks for your tips.

I'm so sorry for your plant. I hope it will survive and take off once again.

Denise: I really hope your plant will thrive this summer and eventually will bloom for you.

I'm trying to figure out whether H. sigillatis like cool or hot weather so that I can provide the right growing environment. I will try my best to grow it and will definitely keep you guys posted of its development.

My the way, Pug, my square-leafed hoya is budding up again. This is the second time it blooms for me since I got it 3 years ago.

How's yours doing?

Xuan

• cpawl
    12 years ago

Xuan, I have this hoya and I can for sure say it needs high heat not cool weather.Mine started to get yellow leaves when it gets to cool.If you give it bright enough light the leaves will turn a gorgeous red color. It dose best with tempts above 18c degrees.I hope this helps a bit.I don't find mine that slow of a grower compared to some that I have.

Cindy

Cindy

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

You're welcome Xuan...I wish I could have been more help. Thanks for the well wishes, hopefully my plant will continue to recover. So far it hasn't gotten any worse, so I'm hoping for the best.

I agree with Cindy...I bring mine inside at night when the temps go below 65 degrees just to be on the safe side. It might be able to take a little cooler but better safe than sorry. Thanks Cindy for confirming this. How cold was it when you noticed your leaves started to yellow...always good to have the temps from people's experience. Not much info on the internet on how cold they can take it.

Xuan, my sp. square is doing very well thanks for asking...growing nicely but NO peduncles that I can see :0(...I'm hopeful that it will bloom soon. Keeping fingers crossed. This is one of my favorites too and hope it stays healthy...I always worry about my favorite hoyas as I know it doesn't take much sometimes for them to suffer or take a turn...hoping they continue to stay healthy.

Congrats on your blooms!! I love your sp. square! Can't wait to see blooms on mine someday.

• haxuan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you very much for the information, Cindy. It's so helpful.

Now I will leave it in my hot garden.

Xuan

• cpawl
    12 years ago

Pug, it was around 15/62 degrees that the I noticed that the leaves getting yellow and the plant started to look sick but as soon as it got put were it was very warm and bright light it was happy again.I have had the plant for over 2 years now and its growing well for me.May be this will be the year I see flowers:))

Cindy

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Thanks Cindy...I'll keep my fingers crossed it blooms for you this year! Keep us posted...

• haxuan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cindy: Your observations are great. I hope my plant will like the heat and humidity we have down here in Saigon.

Please share photos when your plant blooms.

Xuan

• cpawl
    12 years ago

Thanks Pug and Xuan, I do hope for flowers this year.
    Xuan I am sure it will love the weather in Saigon.

Cindy

• theplanthoarder
    12 years ago

Just don't let it dry out. I received one from Thailand a year and a half ago and I let it dry out and it started to die off. Luckily I caught on in time. It likes bright light and moist soil. Mine wasn't growing but recently I moved it to a west window with afternoon sun and it has started growing again.

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Planthoarder, you may be right about not letting it dry out or not keeping the soil moist enough. That could very well have played a role on why some of my vines started dying off and quit growing. Although, I hadn't changed my watering routine, possibly the roots have grown and I didn't increase the water hence the vines dried up? I have been watering it a little more often now and hoping for the best. Thanks for your input. Glad to hear yours is growing again.

This is one of my tougher hoyas to grow IMHO...quite fussy and finicky! My luck...its of course one of my favorites,lol...

• haxuan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Again, thanks for all the tips, Planthoarder and Pug.

Never thought this hoya is so fussy. Must be careful with it from now on.

Xuan

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

With you living in Vietnam...maybe its a lot more carefree growing hoya in your climate. Plus you have a very greenthumb Xuan so I wouldn't worry at all...I'm sure yours will thrive in your loving care :o)

Nancy

Sponsored
Elegant Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
VA & DC's Finest General Contractor