Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
psyc1210

Hoya curtisii

psyc1210
12 years ago

I just found this Hoya curtisii at my local Lowe's. The leaves are gorgeous, and it is just covered with leaves. I haven't seen any peduncles on the plant from what I've looked at so far, but it is so thick with leaves,there could be some in there somewhere.

Any culture tips for curtisii?

Here is a photo of my plant.

Comments (10)

• tigerdawn
    12 years ago

I got my curtisii at Lowes last year. So far it hasn't been picky. I love the leaves and the way it forms long hanging chains of them. During the warmer months I grow it outside in morning sun. I haven't seen any flowers yet but the leaves are plenty for me.

• bama_gardener
    12 years ago

I passed one of these up several months ago and haven't seen it again since. I have been really sorry I didn't buy it at the time. The leaves are my favorite. It's also nice to hear that it isn't picky. My favorite kind of plant!

• psyc1210
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I only have a few Hoyas and am still trying to get a good hold on what they really need. I have a serpens, lacunosa 'Snow Caps', and two carnosa, one is Krimson Princess and the other is Krimson Queen...I also have cummingiana, which I have put outside to see if I could get it to grow better, and now I have curtisii. Would an ESE facing window most likely be sufficient light for them?

• tigerdawn
    12 years ago

I've found curtisii isn't very picky on light. I bet that window would be fine. For the most part, hoyas like to be watered thoroughly when the medium is dry and they like plenty of light. They usually won't complain if given too little light but they won't bloom either. Just don't overwater and you should be good, at least with the carnosas. I don't have experience with serpens or cummingiana. Lacunosa prefers to stay a little more moist than the carnosas do.

• klyde
    12 years ago

OMG! That is one massive curtisii. That's it, I'm getting rid of my curtisii, now that I know what's possible. 3 years of effort in all directions. Jeez.

Fabulous find however :)

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

I do have my curtisii in an east window and it grows like a weed. Honestly, I kind of sigh and shake my head at it because it's getting way too big to keep in a flat with the others and I need to do something about it. It is just always in the way.

No one ever posts pictures of its blooms on here, so I'm wondering... err... does it bloom for you guys? Tiger, it sounds like it bloomed for you - what kind of light were you giving it? Mine is only 2 years old so I'm not surprised it hasn't bloomed yet, even though it's plenty big, but if anyone has any recommendations, I'm in the mood to move it anyway.

• tigerdawn
    12 years ago

No, mine hasn't bloomed. Maybe this summer though...

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Someone in my plant society bloomed this recently & brought it in to show. Was a light green bloom, none too special loooking as I recall, as compared to other Hoyas anyway.

I love the leaf form on this, & I grew in mounted on bark for a year until I lost patience w/ having to water it every day.

• dmichael619
    12 years ago

Nice plant psyc. The EA curtisii plants are usually very nice and full when you find them and I have been known to buy duplicates of it simply because I liked the way they looked!!!

I have had my plant for several years now and it grows like a weed and did form a few peduncles year before last but to this day they have never flowered. there's gotta be a trick to getting this one to bloom. I have the same issues with graveolens,my plant's had peduncles on it now for about 4 years and they have never produced a single flower.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

/PG If you get a chance to ask your society member what conditions she provided it, I'd love to know. I actually think it has a pretty cool bloom.

/David I have to agree there must be a trick, and it must also be pretty simple, because the people who post blooms of it act like it's no big deal and they didn't really do anything special. If it's not blooming for you, there are a lot of possibilities we can eliminate. You are already giving it high light, high humidity, and contrasting winter temperatures.

Simone suggests that curtisii likes to be grown dry and cool in the winter, enjoys a little lime added, and should be potted very shallow. Perhaps the answer is somewhere in there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Simone on curtsii

Sponsored
More Discussions