Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peanut01_gw

Do not try this at home ;)

peanut01
12 years ago

Numms looking good Full Direct Sun

This hoya is looking good so far. I did not mean too, but I left this one out in full direct sun for at least 2 weeks. Not bad IMHO

Just sharing

-David

Comments (11)

• lovingmy4babies
    12 years ago

I think it looks pretty good! Mine is very leggy atm, but I still love it. lol It's JUST now showing some new growth after sitting there for 3 or 4 weeks. now it's growing in leaps and bounds.

Deborah

• Denise
    12 years ago

Ouch! Last time I had one get sunburned like that, a few days later the leaves were dropping like crazy. I ended up whacking it clear back to let it restart. I never put them out anywhere except in deep shade now.

Denise in Omaha

• peanut01
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't mind the sunburn look. But I would mind if I lost all my leaves. When you say last time you burnt one... Do you mean a Numms or Hoya in particular? I hope the latter :( I actually put it back in the same spot after taking the picture late last night. Since you have already went through that I will move it to full indirect sun next to step it down a notch. I guess I originally was thinking since it had pubescent leaves that it might be able to take a little more direct sun. I just did not mean to leave it out there for so long.

-David

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

I did this with my nummularioides in the past as well although to a lesser extent. The leaves had the same red splotches and many of them dried up and fell off. I think this Hoya does best in bright light but not enough to cause the colour change in it's leaves.

Mike

• Denise
    12 years ago

David,

It wasn't a nummularioides. Most Hoyas grow in jungle conditions, climbing up trees toward the sunlight. So they're (at most) in dappled sunlight, mostly deep shade. In your house, you can grow them in a nice sunny spot because the glass cuts down on the harshest rays of the sun. But outside is a whole 'nother story! A little morning sun is ok for most Hoyas, but hours of sun or afternoon sun are just too much for most of them. The few I put outside grow nicely in full shade or with just a bit of dappled sun. You have to undestand that the shadiest spot outside probably has more footcandles of light than your brightest spot inside.

If it starts to lose those leaves, just whack it back. As long as the roots are in good condition, it'll come back with a vengence.

Denise in Omaha

• peanut01
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So far here is my experience. Upon discovering the fault of my location that I left this one in, I promptly moved it to my Hoya tree.

It is the furthest back in this picture.

I have been fortunate and did not notice any leaf drop. Here are the current pics of the plant photographed above.

Another.

I think the key to my success with this "experiment" was the fact that I did not baby this one by bringing it back into the home. I put it in more bright light but of the indirect variety. It has since put on some new growth and seems happy.

-David

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

It certianly does and I bet that Hoya tree of yours is the reason why, what a great place to hang your plants.
    Is that DS-70 at the bottom, the big beauty?

Mike

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Oh man, your numm looks great. I am so jealous! It could eat mine for hors d'oeuvre without breaking a sweat.

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

NICE Hoya Tree indeed...a wonderful place to hang your hoyas in. Great pictures!

• peanut01
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mike: The big one in the front is DS-70. The common hoyas always get the biggest since nobody needs cuttings of them :) I ammended the potting mixture over the winter and have different growth this year versus last. In particular the new vines are growing yellow prior to leafing out. That could also do to high light at the beginning of the growing season this year, before I placed it under the Crape Myrtle. I typically only put one or two plants in this tree(not trying to piss off HOA, nor am I looking for plant thieves to visit) but this year will be different. I will let the eleven in the tree atm stay there since they seem to enjoy it. I will have to remove them before the tree blooms since it is just a major mess from that point forward.

GG-Remind me and next time I'll send you some more numms so it can better defend itself.

-David

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

I have to agree with you that bringing them back inside is a bummer strategy, since now you have a stressed out plant in conditions that foster much slower growth than outdoors, so it takes them for-ev-er to look healthy again. Whereas, if you keep them outside, but in more shade, you can pat yourself on the back in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the promise of numm reinforcements. ^_~ Every time I look at my plant, I have Denise's voice in my head, warning me about bringing negative energies to the plants. I always just get so bummed out looking at the ones I had a slow learning curve with, and I just know my brow gets all furrowed whenever I look at that little dude.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH