Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmom1972

Mealy bugs, I guess

txmom
17 years ago

I guess my hoya has mealy bugs. White spots near the stem that are kind of sticky...? (by sticky I mean when I touch it with a finger nail it kind of stretches out as I move my finger).

Suddenly the plant is just curling up and dying - browning leaves and some spots on them along with this white stuff.

HELP?

Comments (4)

• Denise
    17 years ago

Sounds like mealies to me - but you must have a pretty bad infestation if the plant is showing that much distress. I have to wonder if you have root mealies, too, as it takes a lot of leaf mealies to do that much damage. I would pull it out of the pot, knock as much old soil off as possible (gently, of course...) and look for white areas in the soil. You have to be really diligent once you have mealies because you never really completely get rid of them. You can use a serious systemic if you want - I don't only because I'm a soil "feeler" and don't like the idea of my fingers being in chemicals. But with root mealies, you probably won't have much choice but to put some systemic granuals in with the new soil.

I keep a bottle of pure rubbing alcohol handy and examine my plants EVERY time I water. It's a hassle, especially with my largest Hoya that takes at least 15 minutes to inspect it from every angle and under all the leaves... But it has become a habit that I really do enjoy. Because I do this, I can tell you about every little bit of new growth, about every new peduncle, so it definitely has an upside. Also, if you use one of those common hanging pots, be sure to look under the pot's rim - they sometimes nest there, too. I used to wonder why they kept coming back when I was so careful to inspect, and then someone told me this. I came home, looked under one pot's rim and lo and behold! - I found little white masses here and there. Since then, if I find one little offender someplace on a plant, I **zap** under the rim with a shot of alcohol, too. Be very careful when spraying alcohol - even with my glasses on, I've managed to get a sprinkle in my eye, which hurts like crazy.

Denise in Omaha

• canttype
    17 years ago

Is this the Hoya you brought home from the office? I hope so cause you said you left it outside on your porch. Mealies will spread to other plants so becareful.

Follow Denise's excelent advice. Also... use rubbing alcohol on Q-tips and dab it on the little buggers! I put the alcohol right in my mister bottle and spray the alcohol straight on the plant. Don't worry, Hoyas are not hurt by Alcohol! (but do not spray it on the Hoya in direct sunlight though, make sure the plant is in the shade till it dries!) You will have to repeat the treatment a couple times over the next few months.... but it should be ok.

Good luck,
    Diane

• txmom
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Unfortunately, I am finding the same problem with ALL my plants including non-hoyas (African Violets, Christmas Cactus...)
    I have been doing the "alcohol" thing fastidiously - maybe I'm underwatering or overwatering as well. Used to be a really full and lovely Crimson about 8 months ago when I got her...
    (oh deep depression....) :-(

• mairzy_dotes
    17 years ago

Mealies like dry and still air. Mist all around your plants,and get some fans going, or open windows with a breeze. Keep up the alcohol treatments.
    If you really want to get them good, get some Bayer Tree & Shrub systemic insecticide and mix one ounce per gallon of water. Then water the plants with that. You only need to do it once as it lasts for months. The bugs die as soon as they drink the plants juices.
    Of course follow all precauctions on the lable of this product for the way to handle as it is a poison.
    I treated my hoyas last fall with that stuff, and I never saw a bug on them all winter. The year before I was running ragged around them with the spray bottle of alcohol trying to keep the mealies at bay with the dry, still, winter air.
    Marcy

Sponsored