Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doomhedgehog

Hoya Help!

DoomHedgehog
9 years ago

hello all! :D

i have had a hoya plant for 3 years and it just.wont.bloom. :(
it is in a pot with a trelace for it to climb. it is not in direct sun light and ok.. i do forget to water it alot.... maybe is that it?

in all honesty i would like to buy an already bloomed one but i dont know where to go to buy one or where to even look, i hope you can help. thanks!

Comments (6)

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

> it is not in direct sun light

That may be your problem. Most hoyas need rather bright light in order to bloom. No direct sun in the 100 degree afternoons, perhaps (rarely a problem in Canada), but a few hours of morning or afternoon sun may be just what encourages it to bloom - or even more if it's getting that light through a window while indoors.

> i do forget to water it alot.... maybe is that it?

It all depends on the degree on forgetfulness and on what kind of hoya it is. Many hoyas, especially ones with thick succulent leaves, actually thrive on slight neglect. People often kill them by overwatering. If yours is hoya carnosa (the most common species), then letting it dry out between waterings is what it likes.

> in all honesty i would like to buy an already bloomed one

That will be nearly impossible, as they are rarely for sale in bloom. Even if you get one, blooms last a couple weeks, fine - but then you are back to really needing to learn what the plant wants in order to rebloom, so you might as well do that to start and avoid chasing the wild goose. Giving it THAT will likely yield a much better dividend - on an ongoing basis rather than once.

• User
    9 years ago

Regular watering is petty much a must -- for it to be a healthy plant, well before blooming. Minimal care really IS required here, it's not going to happen by itself.

• Denise
    9 years ago

I would agree that most Hoyas need very bright conditions to bloom. Direct sun isn't absolutely necessary. I have several in my sunroom, which has a lot of windows BUT I have a very, very close neighbor, so the time that sun comes in the windows is about an hour, then the rest of the day, the room is blindingly bright with reflective sun off the house that's about a dozen feet from that side of my house. But a lot of them bloom just fine in there. I don't have curtains in there, so no obstruction. Where I do have windows that need some privacy, I have blinds and they get opened the moment the sun is up every day. So even though it's coming in windows and the footcandles are not that high, I'm maximizing what light I do get...

Since you're quite a bit further north, your sun probably isn't as strong, just as mine is nowhere as strong as those growing in Florida. So blooming will be even more of a challenge for you. We need Mike to pipe in here and give you some advice since he lives in the Great White North, too!

Denise in Omaha

• teisa
    9 years ago

Yes Mike could certainly give advice! I miss his advice on Everything! ! I wish he would come back!

Doom hedge, I think with giving your plant a little more light, water, food that will surely help! How long since you have repotted it?? We would love to see a picture.

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

Idk⦠Mike's practically a southerner compared to someone from Alberta⦠:P

I agree it's light! Smack that baby right against a nice eastern windowpane and you may get blooms as soon as next spring. The leaves will become a brighter green as you give them more light, and you want them to be more in the range of fresh cilantro or bell peppers versus a deep dark shady green. If people in Sweden can do it, so can you.

It's correct that you should water it regularly, give it fertilizer, and make sure the medium it's in isn't too old (compacted and the water runs right through it).

But don't think you can fix all those things and get away with keeping it in its current location. A Hoya in high light will put up with a lot of crap, but the most pampered Hoya will refuse to bloom if it doesn't have it's rays.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH