Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quinnfyre

Variegated Hoya obovata

quinnfyre
12 years ago

I just realized, I didn't get a chance to take pics of the blooms, but I did get the buds! The leaves in the background are from calycina, not obovata. It only looks like the buds go with calycina...

Here are the real obovata leaves!

Comments (6)

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Ahh! You keep rainbows in your growspace too! ^_^

Beautiful buds and those are some super cool leaves, too. I'm glad you decided to share with us even though you didn't get the final bloom shot.

It cracks me up the way you had to provide two separate pictures. This is a classic example of how misleading Hoya leaves can be, when it comes to identification via photo.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Gosh those are some GORGEOUS leaves. While I lost my Obovata several yrs ago (was a favorite due to the leaves), I'd never seen the variegated version of it.

With the sun behind those leaves, it's just stunning, thanks for the treat! (nice buds too).

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

quinn, the leaves on your obovata are georgeous. I lost my variegated obovata this past winter. Your violets are beautiful and didn't realize that you had so many hoya. The violets you sent last fall are doing great. I guess you read about my disasterous hoya collection. They froze when I had to make an emergency trip to NY. We had freezing temps here in Florida, and I wasn't home to cover them or bring them inside. I lost all my large leaved ones and quite a few smaller ones. My violets were OK. They are on a shelf unit in diningroom under lights on a timer.
    Now I'm waiting for a round robin to maybe replace some hoya.

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Beautiful blooms and those leaves are gorgeous as well. Great growing! Congrats!

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone! I love the leaves too. And it is an easy going grower. It kind of doesn't really fit in that pot, it should really go into something larger, as the stems are a little like kerrii stems. Not as stiff, but close. It is traveling across the shelf to the complete other side. That is why the buds were all up in calycina's space. This is the second time I missed the flowers. Maybe third time's the charm.

Ima, the violets I sent you are probably doing way better than mine. I'm trying to get it together to bring them to recovery but it's going to be a bunch of work. I think it's possible though. I'll try and see what I can accomplish tomorrow. I wish I had more spare growth on my hoyas to send your way, but I am trying to get them going also. Nothing's looking horrible but I think I stalled out the growth on some of them.

GG, I don't know what else to do with it :P I don't want to wear that crystal but I had to get it when I was ordering jewelry supplies because it was cool. So I hang it in the window.

I finally moved a pothos out of the way, so now I can see the obovata leaves much better. Now the pothos lives by the north window. I need a clear line of sight to plants or they tend to miss out on waterings. I don't want obovata to have to forgive me too many times.

• kellyknits
    12 years ago

The leaves are beautiful!

Sponsored