Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teisa_gw

Limonica growing conditions

teisa
11 years ago

I have a question about growing Limonica. I purchased Limonica and Pachyclada about year 1/2 ago and both took off very well. Pachyclada is about to bloom for me the first time! (yeah) but Limonica has leaves that have yellowed and died and just isn't growing. They sit in a south facing window with exact watering & fertilizing schedules. My potting medium is very fast draining soil with extra peat and orchid bark. My question is does Limonica like more/less water than Pachyclada, more/less sun light or fertilizer? Does anything stand out that I'm doing wrong for it? Thanks so much!

Comments (9)

• Denise
    11 years ago

Do you have a true limoniaca? The first one I got turned out to be verticillata, which is why I ask... Where did you get it? Can you post a photo? The leaves look similar in a photo, but my limoniaca leaves are much smaller than the verticillata leaves.

First, I'd say south is pretty strong for limoniaca. The leaves on pachyclada are pretty succulent, so it can take quite a bit of light. Limoniaca's leaves are much thinner - I grow mine in an east window and it grows like a weed. I'd also ask how big your pot is? It's a smaller growing species, so mine is still in a 4" pot even though it's gotten fairly large. Pachyclada can dry out quite a bit (again because of it's succulent leaves) whereas I try not to let limoniaca get too dry, though it can take some dryness.

And when you talk about "exact watering schedules", that prompts this question... do you water on a schedule, or do you water according to dryness? Although I may often end up watering plants grouped together on the same day because they end up drying out at about the same rate, I still check each one individually for dryness before I water it and if one's moisture level is still ok, I skip that one. "On a schedule", like each Monday, will result in some species not thriving. It's a hassle to "feel" every plant, but you'll have happier plants if you do.

Denise in Omaha

• teisa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is Limoniaca

• teisa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is my Pachyclada! That I am so anxiously awaiting blooms!

• teisa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And this is Var. Mycrophylla. Is leaves are good but it has long leafless vines.

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

Teisa your Hoya limoniaca looks very dehydrated. I suspect that the roots are not healthy and this is the reason for the decline of your plant. As a last resort you can cut the plant up into cuttings of a couple node lengths, soak the cuttings in water until they look hydrated and then pot them up and keep as humid as possible.

Your macrophylla looks fine although the tip of the vine should never be pointed down or you risk it dieing off.

Your Hoya pachyclada looks great, congrats on the buds!

Mike

• teisa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

See I was thinking it was not getting enough water but when I water there even started being mildew on top of dirt. Isn't that a sign of over watering? I've had it in a south facing window. With all this explained Mike would this plan of action help? Repot with different soil and put in an aquarium for hydration. I have an extra aquarium that is no longer in use. I have never " cut up. " a failing plant or even rooted one! But if I have to, I will give it a try. I trust your advice. Thank you so much for both of you helping.

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

I think it is beyond a simple repotting, the roots are likely dead. The plant needs a new root system to survive so you really do need to take cuttings. The only other option is to toss it and get a new plant. Also remember that this Hoya has thick waxy leaves so it wants to dry slightly between watering, too wet for too long will kill its roots. The potting mix it is in looks good but somewhere along the line it just got too much water.

Mike

• teisa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Mike I trust your judgement. So yesterday I cut it up in long pieces at the nodes. The only bad part is that I was leaving for Fl same day! So I had to leave it soaking and my mother come the following day to put it in soil! Thanks for all the help!

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

Hopefully the cuttings root for you, at least it's nice and warm and perfect for rooting cuttings. Let us know how the cuttings do. Enclosing the pot of cuttings in a clear bag will help keep them humid while rooting, otherwise they can continue to become more dehydrated. You might get away with just misting them a couple times a day.

Mike

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz