Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quinnfyre

callistophylla and finlaysonii 'Ripple Leaf'?

quinnfyre
13 years ago

Does anyone have both of these? And perhaps a pic of them side by side? I've been really wanting a hoya with a leaf pattern like these guys lately, but I can't decide which one to get (first). Also, if there are others with this sort of patterned leaf, you can let me know about them too : ) I was leaning toward finlaysonii 'Ripple Leaf' but now I just don't know...

Comments (19)

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

There are many different looks to Hoya finlaysonii. Check out the photos in the link as well as the aff. finlaysonii photos on page 6. The Hoya sp. aff. finlaysonii with the white dots on the leaves is amazing!

Hoya meredithii and Hoya deykei come to mind as well as the many unidentified species that have patterned leaves but those are also harder to get.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya finlaysonii from Epiphytica

• wrynsmom
    13 years ago

Okay, I can name a few:

H. callystophylla
    H. finlaysonii
    H. finlaysonii 'Ripple Leaf'
    H. sp 1420 (my fave, so far)
    H. sp Kast
    H. sp Kapit

I'm sure I have others, but these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Hope you find what you're looking for!!!

Carolyn

• patrick51
    13 years ago

Hi Quinn....there are a good number of hoyas similar to 'finlaysonii' and 'callistophylla'...Borneo 'Gunung Gading', vitellinoides, finlaysonii 'Large Leaf', meridithii and 'clemensiorum' to name a few. I have all of these, and of these I would highly recommend H. finlaysonii "Ripple Leaf" as the best, especially if space is an issue. The leaves are very nicely veined...very pronounced and has a great shine to them. This plant, for me at least, has grown much more quickly than H. callistophylla....though that was only initially...now they seem to be growing equally as fast. H. vitellinoides is a gorgeous hoya...but, it's also VERY large and lacks the sheen that 'finlaysonii has. I would forget about finlaysonii 'Large Leaf'....it's very dull compared to 'Ripple Leaf' and mine has bloomed twice in the past few weeks and the blooms lasted less than 24 hours each time. I really think you'd be pleased with Ripple Leaf, but the callistophylla is also gorgeous, but was slower to get growing...but, that's just in my case. Sorry, I don't own a camera...or a TV for that matter!! But, I hope my experience helps you somewhat. Fondly, Patrick

• Denise
    13 years ago

Hi Quinn,

I have both and my personal favorite right now is callistrophylla. I also have plain finlaysonii (the leaves on my clone aren't at all as dinstinctly veined), and sp. 'Nong Nooch' (which is finally taking off after 2 years), and merridithii x crassicaulis. I find all of them in this genra slow to start (maybe they're more sensitive to travel...) but worth growing. But callistrophylla, for me, has the most contrast between the leaf color and the veins. Here's the recent photo I just posted yesterday in another thread...

...and here's my 'Rippled Leaf' finlaysonii, which I got last summer...

Denise in Omaha

• suetran1
    13 years ago

Hi Jane
    I got 2 Caliistophylla and 1 Finlaysonii 'Ripple Leaf', 1 Finlaysonii , all 4 plants are from different sources.
    Their leaves are also differences.

Callistophylla

Callistophylla

Finlaysonii This one, too much sun exposure.

Finlaysonii 'Ripple Leaf'

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Nice pictures everyone!!

Hi Quinn, here's mine for more comparisons...

Hoya callistophylla
    {{gwi:955251}}

H. finlaysonii rippled leaf. I finally have my very first bud getting ready to open.
    {{gwi:955252}}

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ooh, thanks for all the good pics and advice. I still can't decide, based solely on input from your photos and experience, as they both look great, but I think the decision is going to end up being based on availability. I know where to get the finlaysonii 'Ripple Leaf' but my normal places for getting hoyas don't seem to have callistophylla. Which is okay, I can keep an eye out and get it later ; )

I am actually intrigued at how different they all are. I mean, basically, they look similar, but detailwise, even the same type seems to look different for different people. Leaf shape, contrast between light and dark in leaf pattern, and the general pattern of leaf vary. Fascinating!

• Denise
    13 years ago

Sue,

That's what my standard finlaysonii looks like, too, so I don't think it's too much sun. Must just be the way it's supposed to look after they mature. I had one very nice new leaf form last year that was nothing like the the veined species...

... and now it looks like the others (like your photo.) It's an incredibly slow grower for me.

Denise in Omaha

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's a nice looking new leaf, Denise!

• suetran1
    13 years ago

Denise
    Now I will hang it in medium shade, to see if they change color. You are right!, maybe it is the way the old leaf should be. My plant grown very slow, but that is what I like that plant, flower is often too.
    sue

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

I took a few photos of my Hoyas with patterned leaves.

Hoya finlaysonii - narrow leaf form

Hoya sp Kapit Bornoe IML 1029 - one of my favorites. This Hoya has beautiful yellow flowers as well.

An old photo of Hoya clemensiorum's beautiful raised veins. I can take a photo of the new leaf if you are interested in seeing it. This one is slow unless it's bright, humid and warm.

Hoya vitellinoides is another species with very beautiful leaves that would be worth looking into.

Mike

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Awesome leaves!! There really are a lot of gorgeous leaves in the Hoya family...makes up for the times that it takes forever to bloom or not bloom at all. Of course blooms are always a very nice bonus.

Quinn, here's my very first bloom from Hoya finlaysonii 'ripple leaf' from Gardino's.

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sometimes, I almost feel like I like the buds better than the flowers. There's so much promise in a bud that hasn't opened yet. Still, there's a reason why I say 'almost' : )

I'm back on the indecision train. Gardino's is out of stock of the finlaysonii 'Ripple Leaf'. So, to wait, or try and obtain a cutting of callistophylla? I've never ordered from Gardino's before, and I've wanted to for a while. I'm also itching to try an order from Ted Green. Well, I don't need to make the decision yet. I picked up a good case of the 'need more hoyas' bug, and have gotten more than I had planned already, including cinnamomifolia. Never had any real desire to get cinnamomifolia before, even though I like the flowers, but suddenly, I needed to get it. I did happen to notice how nice the leaves were. Maybe that did it.

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I keep hitting submit, then realizing I forgot to say something. This time, it's congrats to Puglvr for getting those nice blooms on finlaysonii 'Ripple Leaf'! Thanks for sharing your pics. Gives me something to look forward to. How long did it take to bloom in your care?

• wrynsmom
    13 years ago

Have you looked on www.srqhoyas.com ? Joni's got H. dasyantha (really nice leaves) for $18 and all her eriostemmas are $12, right now. You should check it out. And her shipping is MUCH less than Gardino's. I like ordering from her. I don't feel like I'm paying more for shipping than for the plants! hahaha

Ted has awesome cuttings. The H. litoralis I got from him last month is about to bloom!

Good luck. I hope you find something!

Carolyn

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, I've definitely looked at SRQ Hoyas : ) For instance, benguetensis came from there, as well as the cinnamomifolia I'm getting and villosa, plus I started a wish list too. She doesn't have callistophylla or finlaysonii 'Ripple Leaf' listed among her collection, though. Which is fine, since she has so many others that tempt me into buying more hoyas that I have to squeeze in somewhere, ha.

The eriostemmas piqued my interest, but aren't they a little trickier to grow? I seem to remember people mentioning that they have trouble with them.

• wrynsmom
    13 years ago

I grow an Eriostemma in the house. 'Optimistic' . . . of course, I keep taking cuttings, so they poor thing hasn't had a chance to even TRY to bloom, but it grows like crazy! But in spurts. I'm getting obtusifoloides (or however you spell it . . . the one with the apple green flowers). It will be grown in the house, too. Might as well try one . . . for $12, it's a fun experiment!

Carolyn

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Thanks for the compliment Quinn...My DD ordered it from Gardino's as one of my Christmas presents Dec.'08...so I've had it for a year and a half. It was pretty slow to grow at first, but is growing much better.

Carolyn, you got bit by the Hoya bug bad,lol...is there a cure or meds we can take to cure it? I know, I know...there is NO cure!

• wrynsmom
    13 years ago

Gee, Pug! Thanks a lot! hehehe I know . . . but I just can't help myself!!!! My son would look at me and say, "My precious . . . we WANTS it"! hahaha (He's on a 'Lord of the Rings' kick, right now)

Carolyn

Sponsored