Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teisa_gw

Help with Pachyclada showing rot

teisa
10 years ago

Ive been on vacation, came back today and part of my pachyclada is rotting! Ive never had a Hoya start dieing like this. It looks great everywhere but it started by dropping leaves on one vine. Then the leaves looked pitted life a fungus maybe was affecting them. Now when I returned, half of one stem is rotted and 3 leaves were just completed yellowed and gone. Do I just cut the rot off? Add sulfur to the affected area? I really need some quick suggestions and help.

TIA!

-Teisa

Comments (6)

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Sorry you're having this problem. Pls unpot it & show us the rootball. From the look of that stem, it looks like maybe the plant is losing its roots.

I hope to be wrong, but we can't say what's going on w/out seeing the roots.

• teisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok PG I will do that. I also just found an Epi that sets on same shelf with the same black spots that this plant started having before I came back from vacation to have Part of Pachyclada DEAD.

I'm thinking it is fungus from the lack of air circulation when I was gone. As I keep fans, air, constantly moving. I will post a picture of my EPI leaves and of roots and treat for fungus (won't hurt) I hope. Then if your suggestions is to start from cuttings, I guess that's the next plan. I'll post soon. Thanks!

This post was edited by teisa on Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 12:22

• teisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is a picture of what the Epi that is beside my H. Pachyclada. It is now showing the black spots just like Pachy did before it died. Can anyone tell from this if it looks like fungus?

I Appreciate the help. I have no experience with this and hope I can take care of it before it gets out of hand.

• teisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a picture of the roots. Im not really for sure what the roots are supposed to look like actually. So hopefully someone can advise on this. They were pretty yellowed and brittle. So that may be a bad sign or it may be what older roots are supposed to look like. I really don't know.

I did however spray all dirt from the roots, and repotted in an unglazed clay pot. I had put it in a glazed pot about 3 months ago. It looked really wet down deep. I also put sulfur on pachyclada and the Epiphyllum. Im hoping this fixes the situation.

PG, let me know what you think about the roots.....

• monet_g
    10 years ago

Hi Teisa,
    The Epi does have a fungal problem. I would cut off all affected parts and treat for rust. If you want something stronger than sulfur you could try Daconil. It's one of the less toxic fungicides (can even be used on edible plants).

I would say those roots look fine, but I don't have a lot of experience. I'm sure PG or someone else will weigh in.

Gail

• teisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gail,

Thanks for your help. That is what I was really thinking (and hoping) was the problem. The Pachy had the same black fungus on the leaves! I believe it happened his last time we were away and the air in house was turned up. It was very hot, humid, and no fans moving!

Good to hear from you!! Clivias are doing Great! Putting out new leaves and growing like weeds. Hope your Hoyas are as well!

-Teisa

Sponsored