Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greedygh0st

How to embed photos in a post

greedygh0st
12 years ago

Here's a short guide to posting images in the forum. You can use this guide if your photos have been uploaded to Flickr or Photobucket, or if you simply know the photo's url at your preferred image host.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

[ONE]

Most image hosts make it easy for you to find the code you need right on their websites. All you need to do is navigate to your photo, find the share menu, and copy the code identified as HTML.

On Flickr it is here:

On Photobucket it is here:

[TWO]

Next, you need to paste the code in the Message field at GardenWeb. Do NOT use the field for posting a link, below.

[THREE]

When you hit "Preview Message," if you have the code right, you will be able to see the images.

[FOUR]

Once you have the correct code, you can tweak it to fit your preferences. You can change the image size, add a border, etc.

Here I have both my Flickr and Photobucket images at the sizes I want. It is good forum etiquette to resize large photos so that people do not have to scroll in order to see the whole image. When you post photos that are too large, it can make it harder to read all the posts in that thread, not just your own.

[Alternate Method]

The most simple way to post an image is to use the very basic code shown below. When using this code in conjunction with photos at an image host like Flickr, right click on the photo and select "Copy image location" to get the url you want.

Comments (15)

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Hi GG, Wow!! Great job! I'm definitely putting this on my favorites. We get this question asked all the time in different GW forums as well. I'm so bad at explaining it, this will make it so much easier, showing them exactly how to do it.

Thanks for taking the time to post the tutorial...SO helpful!
    I'm sure many will appreciate it :o)

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Pug. I'm sure others have made similar guides, but I was too lazy to find them. And frankly, too lazy to write out photo posting instructions anymore. ^_~

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Wow nice job GG. I always think I know what I am doing with HTML but in reality I don't have a clue unless it's cut and paste. LOL
    I am sure this will help many people.

Mike

• mayyan
    12 years ago

GG

I apologize if I was the trigger for the post but I cant say that I am sorry :D

thanks
    mayyan

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

GG, thanks for posting instructions. The pictures and notations are a great help. I'm going to copy and save as a doc on my computer so it will be handy.

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

Tee hee. The only thing that confused me is that I kept thinking I was at the bottom, except that I am not greedyghost. Do you have a preference between Flickr and Photobucket? I never end up using my Flickr account for whatever reason. I guess I felt like that would be where I put my 'good' photos, if that makes any sense. And then I don't put any photos in there, at all.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Quinn Flickr is amazing because there are groups including a Asclepiads and Hoya group where you can see many great photos. I gave up all other photo hosting sites once I found Flickr.

Mike

• grmadarr
    12 years ago

Thanks ever so much,GG! I will surely try again with your instructions.With my Guru gone I have trouble figuring these things out With your help and the grace of GOD---I WILL DO this!! LOL Darr

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lmao mayyan. xD No one in particular was the inspiration for this post. Like Pug says, it's a frequent question and I want to see everyone's plants!

/Quinn I had the same reaction when I was editing it, except... I am greedyghost, so it was worse.

I also prefer Flickr. As you can see, there are only 2 photos in my Photobucket account(both for the sake of example). I used to use it for sharing photos with family, but I let it go extinct when I started posting my hobby photos on Flickr. Like Mike, I find the networking potential to be very high on Flickr. I was surprised how many Hoya people contact me about my pictures and I don't even have a very representative sample uploaded. They weren't just messaging to say "pretty picture", either, but were serious Hoya people with serious photo archives, including macro photos of flower parts, etc. So, that's pretty fun stuff there. I also prefer the aesthetics and handling of the site.

There is some argument for Photobucket being a better host for people who are less comfortable with technology. It's less flashy and more repetitive, thus more fool-proof. I find the learning curve to be a little higher for Flickr. On the other hand, for the purpose of posting pictures on this forum, Flickr gives you more control over the code generated, if you're not comfortable with HTML.

In the end, it only takes half hour to fully acquaint yourself with any host, and once you've got it, you've got it. There are a lot of hosts out there that I haven't explored and maybe I should.

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

Holy Toledo GG!... what a great thing you did for so many of us!... I too will bookmark it as a fav... and when I can..at work... will print it out... but first... move into my apt!... unpack boxes... closing on house tomorrow!!!!... internet will be down beginning sometime this Friday 9/16.. until Monday 9/19... OMG.. I don't know how I will function w/o my daily dose of hoya and friends!.. Thanks GG for so much help!...Eileen PS... does anyone have a simple way to move my plants to another location w/o damaging them... thanks

• golden_ca_2000
    12 years ago

EXCELLENT JOB GG! I think the worst part when people post large photos is the text for all the posts IN THAT THREAD...is REALLLLLY long from side to side... making it a pain to read...having to scroll back and forth.... Its too bad Garden web cant make your post into a sticky.... Thanks for the EXCELLENT INFORMATIVE post for those that dont know !!! Cheers!

• suetran1
    12 years ago

We need some one like you GG. WELL DONE.

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

GG,

Great job, thank you for helping many of us!!!!

Mitzi from Brazil

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone. ^_^ You make me smile.

I've been meaning to say for a while, that when I describe changing the size of the photo above, that is only changing the display size. As far as the internet is concerned, the photo is still its true size, and bandwidth is consumed accordingly.

Thus, when you upload your photos to your host site, it is courteous to control their actual size. You can do that either before uploading, or using the web-based software that most photo host sites make available.

One day I'll have to post a guide on rotating and shrinking photos.

And one day I'll have to start behaving myself and shrink all my photos because some of these threads definitely load slow after we've all posted a zillion 2,000 x 1,000 photos to them. LOL

Of course if you have a background-worthy photo you should definitely not resize it because I love stealing everyones' Hoya photos to use on my desktop. ^_^

• John.49
    11 years ago

Thanks so much greedyghost. This is so helpful. Only thing I have embeded was math in students heads, and boy that got difficult. You guys are so helpful and kind. All of you have a great day and evening.
    God Bless
    John

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County