pepeuve
12 years ago

sphinx moth hummingbird

polilla esfinge colibri

Here is a link that might be useful: Regular visitor

Comments (10)

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Cute pictures Pepeuve!! I love hummingbirds!

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Great photos Pepeuve that's really neat.

Pug it's actually a Hawk moth but they do resemble hummers. If you have ever found a Tomato or tobacco hornworm, those big green caterpillars you have seen the larval stage of a hawk moth. We used to find the caterpillars in the garden but I don't think I have seen an adult more than once or twice.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Wow! I just adore that second photo. What a cool visitor. And it makes me feel so peaceful looking at Hoyas against the dusky lilac skyline.

• pepeuve
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Last year: June,13,2010

Link below: visitante libador

Here is a link that might be useful: visitante libador

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Wow, you can even see the antennae in that last picture. It really does look like a feathery little bird the way it holds its body as it comes in for a landing.

• pepeuve
    Original Author
    12 years ago

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

Awesome pictures. Very interesting. Mother Nature at work!

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

Sorry, I need to caption the first of the second set of pictures.

"Incoming!"

Tee hee. It is so cute. I love large moths. However, I really despise clothes moths. *shakes fist at them* I wish I could see more large moths and more butterflies. Don't see them nearly enough in the city.

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

I'm a butterfly and moth lover too. Last year, a hummingbird moth frequented a hanging basket of lantana and portulaca. It just loved the lantana. Makes me wonder what will visit my hoyas when they bloom!

Quinn, by any chance have you seen any Luna Moths? They're my favorite moth! They're endangered from what I understand like Monarch butterflies (loss of habitat). If you had room, you could always plant a butterfly bush. I remember someone on here had a picture of a Eastern Tiger Swallowtail on their lacunosa :) .

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Brad a couple years ago on a camping trip in the Boreal forest I saw a Luna moth caterpillar. That caterpillar was incredible because it was very bright green and translucent so it looked like it was glowing from within. My friends had seen an adult moth resting on their then on a previous trip. I am still hoping to see an Atlas moth but they seem to be quite rare as well.

A monarch from a few years ago just after unfurling it's wings out in the garden.

One thing to remember if you want to see more butterflies and moths is to make sure that there are larval host plants as well as nectar plants for the adults. I think everyone should have an Asclepiad tuberosa or another native milkweed species in their garden but other plants like Aristolochia, Dill and Fennel are important larval host plants.
    When we did the landscaping at my sisters new house I made sure to select as many butterfly nectar plants as possible plus a few host plants. The only time I have seen a hawk moth was when I had a big collection of Datura and Brugmansia plants and a moth would come visit them when the fragrance started come nightfall.

Mike

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio