Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
topsy-turvy

Posted by greentoe357 7b NYC under lights (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 4:25

I noticed something cool today. I am rooting this Hoya polyneura. The support stake was not tall enough, and the top of the stem happened to bend, backward, with the leaf undersides facing almost perfectly up. I did not think anything urgent of it, so I just let it be (lazy, I know). So, a new pair of leaves comes out, and they face the light!!! And there is no hint of a twist in the stem or in the petioles of any kind at all! Aren't these things amazing - orienting the new coming out leaves with their photosynthesizing surfaces to where the light is, right from the get-go!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: topsy-turvy

Now here's an idea: flip the vine every time a new pair of leaves is about to come out. THAT should look very cool when the vine is long enough.

o

GT, it's one of the things I fnd a little annoying about polyneura. Most plants will re-orient their leaves with the sun. The leaves are lovely, but taking cuttings usually results in twisty-turny leaves that look a little bizarre! I have to admit they are interesting!

Denise in Omaha

o

> GT, it's one of the things I fnd a little annoying about polyneura. Most plants will re-orient their leaves with the sun.

Vive la différence! I find its growth habit adorable - it's as if it's trying to grow in-between the pages of a closed book, not aware that there is space above and below it can utilize.

> taking cuttings usually results in twisty-turny leaves that look a little bizarre!

I am probably missing something here, 'cause I can't imagine how this looks. Do you mean the cutting grows weird, of the mama plant grows weird where it was cut? Do you have any pics of this?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here