Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicbreezent

Bloom'n time again!

tropicbreezent
10 years ago

My macgillivrayi is blooming again. Saw one flower starting to open nearly 2 weeks ago, now a peduncle with 4. From memory they were flowering in August last year, so seems to be early this year. I changed the watering system this year. Instead of having sprinklers in their pots I put in a fine one averhead. So what they get is a fine misty type of "rain". Maybe that's what encouraged the earlier flowering.

A photo without flash.

Comments (30)

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

With flash. It makes a bit of difference. The closer to reality is this one with the flash.

• greedygh0st
    10 years ago

Yeah, I'm not sure what kind of impact it has when they are able to use their foliage to absorb stuff as well as their roots, but it does have a kind of logical resonance to it. That's why I like to shower my guys periodically.

Anyway, the photos are gorgeous! Does it take them about the same amount of time to develop as the average Hoya bud?

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Those buds looks really cool hanging off that branch...very pretty! I have this hoya and still waiting for a peduncle to form :o(

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the comments. It's not just their foliage in this case, the stems have roots along them which attach to the tree branches. That's what made me decide to put in the overhead sprinkler. It was always difficult to get the watering right in the pots. I'm away at work for extended periods and the automatic sprinklers aren't too reliable. This way is far better and when I'm back I often give them some extra water (and fertiliser) in the pots.

This is the mac., a lot of other Hoyas do it too. Makes it easy for getting cuttings.

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They look just so close to bursting open, but I have to go away for work and will miss it. By the time I get back it will be all over. Hopefully there'll be more flowering a little later but no signs of that happening to be seen yet.

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I spoke too soon. Just when the sun was sinking low 2 of the buds started to open.

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Further into the evening and the other 2 buds still not showing any signs of wanting to join the parade. But the first 2 are fully open, just in time for me to see. I'll be gone before dawn and not back for nearly a fortnight.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Soooo beautiful!! I hope to one day see mine bloom. Thanks for sharing, I'm so glad you didn't miss it!!

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

I hope that my krimson queen gets on flowering early in life

• greedygh0st
    10 years ago

Magnificent! Thank goodness they opened in time for you to see them. Maybe they heard you urging them on. lol

I just love the way this type of flower looks partially opened, with its grasping claws. It looks way more intimidating than Audrey Jr. doesn't it? ;)

I also have to say I envy you your nice long aerial roots. I just love the aesthetic of long aerial root fringes. I see them develop in my aquariums, but they remain pretty short in my regular grow space. Thanks for explaining how it influenced your watering decision. I wouldn't have thought of that, for sure.

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I guess now the remaining buds have opened up. No photo but I can imagine the sight.

Puglvr1, what seems to have helped mine was warmth, humidity and some aged poultry manure. It's also getting good filtered sunlight.

Teen, I've only got the ordinary carnosa, some cuttings from my father's plant which was a mass of flowers. Mine are still growing up.

GG, one of the australis in that tree has much longer aerial roots. Seems to be heading for the ground rather than a branch. The vine is over my head height from the ground, so it has a long way to go. They're only about 150 mm so far.

• teisa
    10 years ago

That was Beautiful! I want to tell you thanks for taking the time to share that with us. Those are the prettiest pictures of that Hoya I have ever seen.

I too wish you were there to see the entire umbel open!! Maybe next time.

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Teisa. I'm hoping there'll still be more this season. Last year it flowered right into August.

• pepeuve
    10 years ago

Wonderful specimen. My warmest congratulations. Most of my plants bloom 2 times and the first flowering is always at the beginning of June and the second time in late August. Your irrigation system is formidable and I usually advise spraying the leaves to the coolest time of day (dawn and dusk) and sometimes with a bit of liquid fertilizer. The aerial roots that you sample/show is a clear example of irrigation system used.
    It is a pity not to have more space on my balcony to add as nice specimen to my small collection.
    Warm regards

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Pepeuve. Winter time the plants get sprayed just before dawn, and again in the evening just after dark. In the summer it's when it's getting light in the morning and when the light is fading in the evening. (By the clock, it happens at the same time all year.)

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Getting home last night I was pleasantly surprised to see that not only the 2 buds were open but the original 2 were also still open. They've been sitting there patiently for almost 2 weeks waiting for me to come back :O)

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The mac entertaining visitors last night.

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maybe not a "social butterfly", but a "social moth" is close enough anyway.

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And then there were two........

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm hoping for some seed this year. Last year there wasn't any. This year I know it's been entertaining night visitors.

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No seeds this year either. When I got home today there was only the peduncle left to tell the tale. In the close up photo it's interesting to see where the flowers fell away from.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Wow! Now that is beautiful! I'll bet you love that plant..:-)

MIke

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Mike, yes I really do . Checking it out today I can see what looks like about 5 peduncles developing. Looks like it's going to put on a good display around August, fingers crossed.

• pepeuve
    10 years ago

Pubicalyx silver pink today

• pepeuve
    10 years ago

Hoya fungii
    Second flowering this spring summer

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

My goodness... I want one of all of these plants! I love the very dark!

Tropic...Awesome! Please take pics then when they do..

MIke:-)

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Very nice Pepeuve. I have Pubicalyx silver pink but it's not as dark a colour as yours.

Mike, I'm certainly not backward with taking photos, seeing the number I've already put on this thread, LOL.

• pepeuve
    10 years ago

@meyermike_1micha
    @tropicbreezent

Sorry my bad English.
    Thanks.

This is the pubicalyx silver pink

• pepeuve
    10 years ago

Another pubicalyx Silver pink

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yours have very good growth on them. No wonder they bloom so well.

Sponsored