Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emt23

Hoya links

emt23
11 years ago

Can anyone tell me the best link for descriptions of the PNG series of Hoya? Does one exist? ~ Mary

Comments (29)

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

There is no page dedicated to the Hoyas of New Guinea specifically. There is some info on Paradise Forest but not species descriptions etc.
    Your best bet is to get the book The Hoyas of Northeastern New Guinea, this is available from Rainbow Garden Books for a good price.

Are there specific species you are interested in? Many can be found on various websites but there are a whole slew of species in the book that are not in cultivation so if you are interested in the New Guinea species then that's the way to go. This is a scientific publication complete with collection data, plant description, habitat description etc.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya books at Rainbow Garden Books

• emt23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you!

• emt23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

To explain further. I am looking at Jack's site, there are many of the series PNG and of course many other series, NS, etc. I find I can acclimate his cuttings faster and more successful than from others. Just trying to factor in travel survival and whether some are worth the risk over other varieties. The leaves are shown but not the floral descriptions, a more succulent leaf survives better than thin, etc. Just trying to gather some more information. I appreciate the info on the books.

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

PNG just stands for Papua New Guinea. The species that only have letter or number codes are as of yet un identified in his collection.
    You are right about think leaves being hardest to ship internationally. Also concider that thin leaves that have a noticeable waxy cuticle will also be much tougher than the less shiny/waxy leafed species.

I bet if you post a list of species you are interested in we can tell you our experiences importing them.

Mike

• emt23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is what I ended up choosing

EPC-475 Hoya sp. (Gunung Gading) very beautiful leaves
    EPC-516 Hoya cv.Pinkie
    EPC-80 Hoya incholonic
    EPC-556 Hoya sp (NS 05-009) buotii-green-big umble
    EPC-740 Hoya tomataensis GPS 8845 Sulawesi
    EPC-549 Hoya tomataensis Sulawesi-8864
    EPC-731 Hoya tomataensis GPS-8870 Sulawesi
    EPC-705 Hoya sp. (UT-033)
    EPC-681 Hoya sp (aff.macrophylla) Pink flowers
    EPC-759 Hoya sp.aff.acuta long black backed leaves
    EPC-138 Hoya pachyclada red corona
    EPC-68 Hoya golamcoana

I am after that "pink" bloom. I did not end up with any of the PNG's. I have to get my 12 to make it worth the money and trip. I have also seen an H.sp.Vietnam AP1112 and H.antimonianensis that are GAWRGEOUS! But not worth the money for the phyto and EMS charges for two that may not make it with no roots that far. I tried ellipticas and they are "sticks in the mud" at this time. Nerve wracking. Thanks for the input. ~ Mary

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Nice list, Mary. I received the EPC-759 from Jack earlier this year and I really like it. It traveled very well. I received tomataensis from Aleya and had no problems with it whatsoever, either.

I have a group of PNG Hoyas in my collection, but oddly, I haven't received any of them from Thailand, so I can't speak to how they travel. I guess it's irrelevant now! ;) Good luck with your shipment.

I understand how it happens that an interest suddenly develops for the Hoyas with a certain prefix. At the moment, I find myself in love with all the plants I receive with UT (Uthai Treesukhon, a Thai collector). They all just hit the mark with me. I should put together an order of just UT plants LOL.

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

I have to say that of that list I don't see any that are super temperamental. There is always a chance that some might not do well but I think you will be successful with those ones as imported cuttings.

Mike

• emt23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks GG and Mike. This is of course stage one of the wish! Nothing is in stone yet. EPC 759 was a long shot for me and glad to hear it traveled well. I too have been looking at the NS and UT's. I have to stop after this for the year. Yeah uh huh! ~ Mary

• Klea
    11 years ago

What does the letters NS stand for? (I have a cutting of megalantha NS 05-038, and was wondering.) :)

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Nathalie Simonsson

You can find a nice resource page for these sorts of things here. Your megalantha is actually the example plant. ;P

• Klea
    11 years ago

Thank you for the link, greedyghost! I was searching for a list like that, but couldn't find it. :) Now it's bookmarked.

• emt23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes very nice to have this link!

• emt23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wanted to follow up on my quest for an order from Jack. Please do not take any of this as complaining that is not my goal. Only to show a true miracle of arrival and how tense and nerve wracking ordering from overseas can be. This worked out good for me. Left Thailand June 30 and arrived July 6.

The finalized list due to expectations some things would not pass customs is below. I have an aphis permit but only order my 12 allowable without the green and yellow stickers for over 12 items. Not willing for the larger hassle I think I would go through with customs. The phrase this is a miracle came out more than once!

EPC-475 Hoya sp. (Gunung Gading) very beautiful leaves
    EPC-516 Hoya cv.Pinkie
    EPC-80 Hoya incholonic
    EPC-556 Hoya sp (NS 05-009) buotii-green-big umble
    EPC-740 Hoya tomataensis GPS 8845 Sulawesi
    EPC-549 Hoya NS 05-213
    EPC-731 Hoya tomataensis iml 1632
    EPC-705 Hoya sp. (UT-033)
    EPC-681 Hoya sp (aff.macrophylla) Pink flowers
    EPC-759 Hoya sp.aff.acuta long black backed leaves
    EPC-138 Hoya pachyclada red corona
    EPC-68 Hoya golamcoana

See the photos to get the idea. They are soaking in a dilute mix of water and fish emulsion. I did not remove the moss yet. Bags and rubber bands removed only. I will wait for the leaves to puff up with moisture first. If you have any suggestions please feel free. This is my second order from Jack and that order is doing just grand! ~ Mary

• emt23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Arrival of box.

• emt23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tape cut just to open the flaps.

• emt23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Laid out, true miracle all 12 were there! Some broken but that means more plants to me!

• emt23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Resting peacefully in a low light area for now.

• Klea
    11 years ago

Congratulations on your new cuttings! So great that you got all 12, and they all look nice and healthy too. :)

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

Those really do look great and the shipping time was truly the best you can hope for. Congratulations!

Mike

• rennfl
    11 years ago

lookin good! I got a shipment of cuttings myself today, got them potted up and ready to go.

It's always so exciting when you first get that box.

Renee

• emt23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Klea/Mike! We were really shocked at the box condition and the tape job by customs! I counted to 12 and took a sigh of relief. ~ Mary

• emt23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Renee yes so true!

• cena60
    11 years ago

Looks GREAT! Hope they do as well as you could wish for!

• emt23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks cena60, nothing lost so far, so good. ~Mary

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Mary, I'm so glad your plants are still looking good! I have seen some miracle pull-throughs from Hoyas imported over a long distance, but it's such a pleasure when there are no problems. I had an Aleya order earlier this year where I didn't lose a single leaf (once potted) and I still gaze at those plants agog.

I recently had an Epiphytica batch come in that were in the mail 15 heat wave days and endured inspections from multiple agencies. So, more of a bad case scenario. Still, I always find it uplifting to see how Hoyas fight. If I can be as strong as them in my life, I will be doing pretty good. ^_^

Below, they are soaking directly on arrival.

Below, they are potted on day 2. Some look a little rough, but nothing too scary. (Note how I'm copying Joni and using the little clear pots now. Perfect for the plants with smaller root systems!)

Today is day 6 and there's been some leaf loss, particularly EPC-698, finlaysonii EPC-057, and aff. rigida EPC-763, but I believe they will all come through. For example, I got a very beautiful thickly foliaged mitrata cutting from Jack earlier this season that lost 100% of its leaves within a week but put new ones out as fast as it lost them. These Thai plants really seem to have a lot of energy stored up.

• emt23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh boy! And Renee is having self control issues right now! They look good, really good GG! I love using the clear containers, although mine come from too much custard! 10k steps a day helps, defray that cost!

I got two batches from Jack this year DH says I must establish the new ones before more come in from overseas. Yes he is my "Jiminy Cricket", good thing!

Yes those Thai plants have stamina. Fifteen days is long the most mine took was seven. First box looked good, second looked like it was drop kicked! I got an elliptica EPC 311 that is limping, but I see roots. ~ Mary

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Custard cups are a great idea. Now I kind of feel like some custard. :3

Good luck with your elliptica - it is a tough one to import. I threw the EPC-769 onto my order not expecting much and its lost its last leaf, but you never know - Jack gave me a lot of stem to work with. This looks like a really cute elliptica, for the record.

I just discovered an established plant I received at the end of May brought some mealies with it. Which was frustrating because I'd just sighed with relief that I'd gone a few months without any mealy sightings in my main body of plants. So, after going nuts with standard mealy procedure, I decided to calm down on the ordering until I can eradicate all threats. It's just too confusing when you're introducing new problems at the same time as you're watching old ones.

I don't hold pests against vendors or traders at all. But it does make me think of one amazing thing. At this point I've received exactly 100 plants from Joni, all pest free. That's a pretty cool, I think. I hope I didn't just jinx anything. I just wanted to say a little ty. ;)

• emt23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes she deserves the praise for sure, and yes the pest thing comes with collecting. I saw on your new thread about the scale. I would not wish that on anyone. I had a ten year old h.pub labeled as Philippine Black chimera I had to take apart and toss most of it, saddened me. "Now this house is clean". Everything got a dose of systemic too! I will post shots of the kids soon as they show some apparent new growth. I have to say I got a Kali Batu EPC 666 and it is taking off. ~ Mary

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Yeah, the scale is tough. It used to not scare me much, but now I have seen them swarm onto a weak plant and just... suck it dry like a hoard of vampires. It's scary. You really have to get into a routine of looking every plant over systematically or something is sure to catch you off your game. I always get into trouble because I put weak plants in the aquarium along with new cuttings and can't see them as well.

Kali Batu looks cool!

Sponsored
Custom Residential Homes & Full Service Renovations