Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denise_gw

A few blooms...

Denise
9 years ago

There are blooms galore right now! It's a good time of year for Hoyas, that's for sure. This is H. platycaulis, which I've had a LONG time and has never done well for me. I got two new kitties last fall and they decided to chew it a bit, so it looks like heck, but that may be the kick in the butt it needed as it's looking better this spring. It's small, but putting on some new growth for me, and lo and behold, I found it blooming a few days ago!

H. obovata x carnosa (which I guess is now called 'Majic' according to Joni's site) has always been a great bloomer...

H. aff. vitellina decided to grace me with a flower umbel...

H. aldrichii blooms seem to last forEVer!...

And my oldest (and smallest) finlaysonii surprised me with it's first bloom a couple weeks ago...

Denise in Omaha

Comments (15)

• vermonthoyas
    9 years ago

Lovely Blooms Denise! H. platycaulis is on my want list, but not an easy Hoya to find! Congratulations on all of the wonderful blooms!

Doug

• there_and_back_again
    9 years ago

That's a lot of blooms! They are gorgeous, but my favorite has to be the aff. vitellina- that orange! The 'Majic' makes me want to pet them. Do any of these have a fragrance? I've never bloomed any of these myself.

Oh- wanted to mention that the cutting of Minibelle you sent me is budding up! Looks like they are going to make it, too!

• teisa
    9 years ago

Gosh those are soo pretty!! I love the h. Aff. vitellina. It is a beauty with the salmon color.

I needed to see some nice blooms. I am in Alaska for 3 weeks. I'm really missing my plants :(.

• Denise
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Doug. That platycaulis has been a real butt-head for me. I'm hoping it is now willing to grow...

T&BA - glad to hear the Minibelle is budding up! That was quick. Mine is blooming right now. It must need a bigger pot as I'm having trouble keeping it watered enough. Doesn't seem too big for it's pot, but they sometimes fool you! I don't notice fragrance unless it's strong, so I guess my nose isn't real sensitive...

One more this morning - I got a pottsii from Cambodia last summer, and it's actually already blooming!

Denise in Omaha

This post was edited by denise on Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 8:15

• susancarol
    9 years ago

Lovely...Keep updating your cuttings list. LOL!

• there_and_back_again
    9 years ago

Wow- that pottsii is beautiful! Reminds me of Anne of Green Gables somehow- the way she describes the apple blossoms, I think, all sweet and baby pink :)

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

Aww that's sweet. :)

To me, whenever Hoyas have that way pale creamy green color, they look like they're going to glow in the dark when I switch off the lights.

• susancarol
    9 years ago

GG,
    Sorry, Denise for hijacking your thread..
    Please post pictures of rigida's leaves, maybe the whole plant.

Thanks.

• Denise
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's ok, Susan. Can't have too many Hoya photos! My rigida grew a giant leaf last year. Check it out below! Mine is budding up now, too...

Denise in Omaha

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

Hoya rigida (IML 1424)
    This is my first rigida and still my favorite, for old time's sake. The leaves are so hard and thick that with those pointy tips they feel like trowels or daggers. Love how long rigida blooms last, too. Not one of those flash-in-the-pan Hoyas.

• there_and_back_again
    9 years ago

I have a rigida IML 1424 too- I love that I have blooms like this to look forward to! The leaves alone are gorgeous(to me, anyway!) and blooms like these turn an already lovely plant into an exceptional one :)

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

Mmm yeah. I wouldn't look at rigida flowers and go: wooooo-eee that is totally new and different! But when I smelled that rich honest honeysuckle scent, it was like I was 10 years old again, barefoot and sucking nectar out of the backs of flowers on a hot summer day.

• rennfl
    9 years ago

Gorgeous pics and blooms Ladies. I'm really liking the aff.
    vitella, I'll have to add that to my wish list.

Renee

• Denise
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Your closeups of the rigida flowers knock my socks off, GG! Just outstanding. I can't wait for mine to bloom!

Denise in Omaha

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?