Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vermonthoyas

Name This Hoya Species Contest

vermonthoyas
9 years ago

I bloomed this Hoya for the first time a couple of days ago, and I thought just for fun I would make a contest out of it. The first person to guess the species will win a cool climate starter package of 3 different Hoya cuttings - H. bella, H. engleriana, and H. chinghungensis. Unfortunately, I have to limit it to U.S. entries as I am paying the shipping and don't want to deal with the hassles of international shipping. Feel free to make a guess though, and if you have someone in the U.S. who you want to send the cuttings to that would be fine.

If no one guesses the species by this time next week, I will put everyone's name that makes a guess on little slips of paper, and pull a winner out of a hat.

To make it even more challenging, I will only be showing the back of the flowers. - Good luck!

Comments (30)

• susancarol
    9 years ago

Should be a fun contest. Good luck everyone. I would never be able to guess by blooms:). I'm a totally foliage person.

Doug, love your website and like to go there when I need a fix of Hoyas!

Sue

• vermonthoyas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Sue! You should make a guess anyway - even if it is way out there. You could still be put in the drawing for the prize if no one comes up with the correct answer.

Doug

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

One guess per person?

My guess is micrantha. (Key word "guess"). :-)

But even if I do not win - I already learned something. I took Doug's prize of cool-growing cuttings to mean that this is a cool-growing one as well, and I went down the list of cool-growers, and I noticed that absolute majority or even all of them have corolla lobes that do not recurve backwards like this one does. I wonder what it is about cool growers that makes them want to spread out their corolla lobes.

Congrats on the blooms, whatever they are!

I shared this with facebook "Hoya ID" group I created recently: https://www.facebook.com/groups/479346905531672/permalink/482812951851734/.

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    9 years ago

Hi Doug, I haven't been to GW in years but I saw this post on FB. So here I am, going to guess as
    Hoya incurvula / brevialata.
    Congratulations on your bloom! You have beautiful hoyas in Vermont. I didn't know about the Hoyas when I lived there 20 years ago.

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

Jaaaaan! Good to see you here!

I checked brevialata on Doug's site 'cause it was also my guess - but he HAS bloomed that one before.

(Damn it, I need to learn to stop giving out hints to my competition.) :-)

• vermonthoyas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hoya incurvula / brevialata and micrantha are good guesses, but not the correct one unfortunately:( Greentoe, don't be mislead by my prize, the Hoya in question is not a cool grower- the only hint I will give. You can guess as many times as you want, but will only be entered in the drawing one time if no one gets the answer.

Jan, nice to hear from a former fellow Vermonter.

Doug

• zeroXstaticlife
    9 years ago

Ooo! I gotta play! I love hoyas and since I just recently got my second one I've been obsessing! I'm gonna guess kerrii!

• Denise
    9 years ago

Doug, you are such a tease, showing only the back of the bloom! You challenge even the truly experienced flowerer (which does NOT, BTW, include me!) But I'll just take a stab. I'm using some logic... since Doug is an experienced grower, I have to believe it might be hard to bloom. One I've had awhile and am waiting impatiently to bloom that has small umbels is memoria. Could that be it??

Denise in Omaha

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Hi Doug,

We've never spoken, but I'm a long timer here at Hoyas. So, a guess if I might please.

Meliflua?

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

Joni is guessing pallilimba over on FB.

This post was edited by greentoe357 on Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 1:11

• Joel7247
    9 years ago

My best guess is Hoya acicularis.

• Joel7247
    9 years ago

My best guess is Hoya acicularis.

• PRO
    9 years ago

Hi Eugeneeeee, Hi everyone! Curiosity got me back here at GW. Anyways, I am going with pallimba too for second guess.

• vermonthoyas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I can't believe that someone got the answer that quickly, really thought it was going to go the distance. I even took the plant off from my site so as to not give any hints. Joel7247 is correct the plant; is Hoya acicularis.

Joel, if you could let me know how to get in touch with you, I will get your cutting package mailed out to you within the week. I will be running another drawing in early September where you don't have to guess to get entered to win. More details later as I approach my one thousandth post on vermonthoyas.

Now here is Hoya acicularis from the front:

• Denise
    9 years ago

Very cute. Does it have a scent? Congrats to Joel!

Denise in Omaha

P.S. And may we see the leaves, please?

This post was edited by denise on Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 9:28

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

lol!! I wasn't in town during the contest, but congrats to Joel and great idea, Doug!! It made me smile reading through this thread.

acicularis sure is a beautiful Hoya, isn't it? Leaves like seedpods and dark-flecked and brick-tinged even in medium light.

• vermonthoyas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you GG, I didn't know if it was a good idea or not, but I guess it worked out pretty well. Denise, I have not been able to detect a scent, but the flower is pretty small. The leaves are very hard to get a good photo of, because they are so darned narrow. This shot is my best attempt.

• zeroXstaticlife
    9 years ago

Congrats on the bloom! And thank you for The opportunity for some awesome plants! This was fun! =)

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

Congrats, Joel! HOW did you figure it out???

This post was edited by greentoe357 on Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 12:13

• Denise
    9 years ago

Oh, my. That IS an interesting Hoya! It may have to go on my "wish" list for it's interesting foliage!!

Denise in Omaha

• teisa
    9 years ago

Doug,

like GG I was out of town when you guys did the contest! It was very nice of you and a great idea!

• PRO
    9 years ago

Doug, It was fun.
    Congrats to Joel7247!

• vermonthoyas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have a bit of a problem. I just looked up Joel7247 and apparently your member page states that you live in the Philippines. I did state in my initial post that I would not be able to ship the package internationally. I would however be glad to ship it to anyone you would wish with a U.S. address. If you do not have anyone to send to, you will have the satisfaction of knowing that you won, and I will draw from the list of people who entered the contest. Please let me know within the next few days.

Doug

• Joel7247
    9 years ago

Good day Doug. Can you please send it to my friend Carmen. Here is the complete Mailing.

Carmencita Soriano
    832 Via la Venta San Marcos, CA 92069

Thank you very much.

Happy HoyaYey!!!

• Joel7247
    9 years ago

Thank you guys. I consider the color/shape combination of the pedicel/umbel (concave), the calyx or sepals and the corolla(revolute). And I used the alphabet selection from my list of revolute Hoya. First in my list is H. acanthominima, didn't match the characteristic as the pedicel is more on positive geotropic convex umbel, next is H. acicularis and much closer, the pedicel shape concave umbel and color more closer to the picture above, next is H. andalensis which also not match as the pedicel is too long. So I don't go far, I stop to the 3 selection from my list and that my best guest is the second one the H. acicularis. Lucky me I got the right guess.

Again, thank you very much Doug, thank you guys and good luck to Carmencita Soriano. Take good care of the cuttings. :)

• vermonthoyas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for participating Joel. That was remarkable work coming up with that answer. I could not have done it in a million years. I will send out the cuttings on Monday June 15th and Carmencita will have them next week.

Doug

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

Haha. Really nice work, Joel! I guess next time you are going to have to choose a plant from the back of the alphabet, Doug. :P

• vermonthoyas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes GG, I was thinking the same thing - Maybe H. wightii, or something close to it!

• rredbbeard
    8 years ago

This is a little off-topic, but is there a way to PM/email you? I searched your Web site, but couldn't find a way to do this.

Thanks,

Rick in CT

• vermonthoyas
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Rick, You can email me at dougchamberlain61@gmail.com

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA