Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellyknits

Happy findings!

kellyknits
12 years ago

Ran into the plant section at Lowe's yesterday while stocking up on electrical outlets for this weekends DIY project and found these on clearance for $4.50!

Hoya curtisii

Dishidia ovata

Both have a couple and I do mean just a couple of dead vines, but are otherwise beautiful! I've struggled with curtisii in the past, so hoping this one will do better! If anyone has any advice please feel free to share it!

Kelly

Comments (12)

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

If they are EA plants, I would get them out of the mix they are planted in. It holds too much water. I use a mix of potting soil, perlite and orchid bark. Hoya seem to love the chunky mix. I'm sure others will have suggestions for you. they are great looking plants. I wish my Lowe's would have the same plants. They don't seem to mark down the houseplants. I don't know what they do with them when they look bad.

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Wow!! What a great price Kelly! Good luck with your new plants...they're both beautiful! I have a small one of that ovata (dischidia), very cute!

Repotting EA hoyas are a pain in the neck!! There are SO many cuttings in the pot and trying to remove the old soil was the worst experience of repotting I've ever done...I've vowed never to repot these large EA baskets again,lol...I thought I killed it when I was done,lol...

I was under the impression they changed their soil a couple of years ago...suppose to be much better and not suppose to hold as much water? Somewhere I think I have that article saved, but can't seem to locate now?

• jakalfoshakal
    12 years ago

kelly you lucky lucky girl!!! good luck with them!!

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

puglvr, I think you are right about them changing the potting soil. I think I read that on another forum. I know when I see the plants hanging in Lowe's they are waterlogged. I think they must water them every day, LOL
    BYW, how's your Desert Rose doing? I remember you posting a picture of it a few years back. It was a massive plant full of blooms. I had six small ones, and lost them all this past winter. What a bummer. One little seedling survived. I don't know how. I found it in the small pot under the mulch of my large white bird of paradise plant. It was covered with dead leaves.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

I find it staggering to believe that a skilled grower like you has struggled with curtisii, Kelly. Was it an EA plant or a start?

IMO, curtisii is as tough as carnosa. I both under- and overwater mine because it is too frustrating to try and work my finger through its carpet of leaves.

So, I think if you had problems in the past, you probably inherited, not caused them. Knowing you, we'll probably all be staring dumbfounded at a bunch of curtisii blooms in a year.

On the EA topic, I couldn't agree more that it is stupid frustrating. I just try to work away enough of their mix that I can put some super chunky stuff around the bottom and sides, while keeping it in the same pot. The only ones I have, I bought last year, and they dry out fine, so I believe the report that they changed the mix is accurate.

• psyc1210
    12 years ago

Awesome finds! I just got curtisii from lowe's near me, but I paid twice the price you did!

• kellyknits
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I still can't believe they were on clearance! Think it may have been a little premature to mark them down at all!

Have to admit I would have preferred a 6" curtisii - 8" is a big basket for such a little hoya!

Awww, GG, you're giving me WAY too much credit! Although I am getting ready to repot my LARGE elliptica and had a brief moment of wondering what it would sell for on ebay after seeing what the ones went for this past weekend! LOL I feel certain the plant is taking steroids when I'm not home...

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Hi Imadigger...my Desert rose is doing well thanks! It had a slight accident last year (winter of 2009) and a large piece of the caudex broke. Long story short the automatic garage door hit it! Luckily, the wound healed and the plant fully recovered. Below is a picture I took several weeks ago.

I'm so sorry to hear lost some of yours.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:22215}}

• kellyknits
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I never fail to be amazed by your desert rose, Nancy!

It's stunning!

• scsva
    12 years ago

Gosh, gorgeous plants and that Desert Rose is so awesome!

I've been watching the Dischidia's at our local Lowe's because they are not selling but I've never seen them mark hoyas or dischidias down and if they do, someone gets them before I do.

Susan

• kellyknits
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Susan,

I've only gotten one other hoya on clearance before and that was polyneura. The basket was cracked so Home Depot marked it down to $2!

Really can't imagine why these two were marked down! There's lots of new growth on both!

Kelly

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Thanks Kelly and Susan!!

I've never been lucky finding hoyas or dischidias on clearance either! Kelly, I'm happy for you! I LOVE clearance,lol...

Sponsored
More Discussions