Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellyknits

WWYD (What Would You Do)

kellyknits
12 years ago

I have several hoyas that have done nothing while in my care except root. Haven't grown. Haven't died back. Nothing but root. Some I've had as long as 2 years. One I believe I've had for 3 years.

Here are two examples:

Hoya carnosa Grey Ghost (maybe???)

Hoya verticillata variegated

Also on the list but not pictures are UT 001 (over a year pretty much in the rooting tank, otherwise it starts declining), blashernaezii, padagensis...there maybe a couple of others as well.

So what would you do?

I could strip them of their current roots and restart?

Leave them alone?

Say the heck with them and just concentrate on the hoya cupcakes for Mike's party?

It's really frustrating!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Kelly

Comments (18)

• rennfl
    12 years ago

Take this for what it is worth, as I'm by no means experienced at Hoya growing.

But what about adding a growth hormone - something like liquid seaweed? Not just a rooting hormone.

I recently started using it with my fertilizer, and the growth of vines and leaves have been amazing.

Renee

• kellyknits
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Renee-

Great advice! Where do you get yours? Hoping I can find it at box store! Or there is a hydroponics store near me now - maybe they would have it!

Thank you!

Kelly

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

I really like Renee's advice, too.

If there's enough to split the vine, like with that variegated verticillata, I'd be tempted to make a second start and put it in the same pot. It really does seem like a lot of Hoyas put out an extra burst of growth when I take cuttings of them, and having the cutting in the same pot as the rooted plant might send signals to it that it should start growing too. I know many people have posted stories about sticking a new cutting in with one that is doing nothing and witnessing what can be personified as a "competitive leap to action" in their old plant at the presence of a noobie. I suspect this has much to do with whatever enzymes are being released by the new cutting.

I suppose in theory you could even take a small cutting of carnosa or something and stick it in with the plants that can't bear cutting. Obviously you'd have to remove it before it got too entrenched.

Personally, I'm loathe to restart a cutting if it isn't actually failing.

• gennykins
    12 years ago

Kelly,

Great timing for me. I rooted montana and onychoides almost a year ago and they have not grown one iota. I've actually been thinking about offering them as an exchange with the hope that someone will have better luck with them. I'm wondering if they need a super shot of heat and humidity, something we haven't had so far this spring. I'm looking forward to seeing whether anyone has additional ideas for jump-starting growth.

Lisa

• gennykins
    12 years ago

GG,

It looks like you posted right before I did. Interesting enzyme theory. My cuttings are not large enough for a second cutting, but maybe this would work with a cutting of a different type - I've got tons of chelsea and carnosa to spare!

Lisa

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Yeah, that's just what I was thinking, Lisa. If you try it, let us know the results. I'm kind of curious to give it a go myself. At the very worst, no harm done.

• rennfl
    12 years ago

Kelly - I got mine off the internet. It seems like there is a few different brands of seaweed and fish fertilizer combos, which I didn't want. I wanted just the seaweed stuff. AKA kelp.

I think a common brand is Neptune's harvest that is available with just seaweed. Another brand is Maxicrop I think.

Have to warn you, it's a little pricy. And has a distinct odor - of seaweed. But the odor goes away pretty quickly.

Renee

• kellyknits
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Renee,
    Cool! I'm pretty sure that's what the hydroponics store carries! Will be headed there this evening! Really appreciate your help!

Think I'll combine both yours and GG's suggestions!

Lisa,
    Sorry to hear you're having similar issues, but glad to know it's not just me...

Kelly

• bama_gardener
    12 years ago

Thanks to all of you for offering some great suggestions. I am very new to hoyas and have just taken my first cutting --the solid green from my KP. It has been only a week, but so far nothing. I am trying the plastic bag method with moist sphagnum moss, but I have a feeling with all our heat and humidity down here this week, it may not need the bag! With the record-breaking records yesterday, I'm hoping the heat isn't too much as well. I did dip the cut tip in rooting hormone (hope that helps). It is great to see all the successes everyone here has with their hoyas.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Bama, you're probably right. Down there, this time of year, you probably don't need the bag. Giving it good airflow in addition to natural zone 8 warmth and humidity might even be better.

That said, it's difficult to fail with carnosa, so don't worry and enjoy yourself. ^_^

• bama_gardener
    12 years ago

Thanks for the advice, greedyghost. I am looking forward to trying some different ones. All I have are from Lowe's or Home Depot which isn't a great variety. And this time of year, all I can find are baskets of ivies,ferns, and vincas or geraniums!!

• geosdee
    12 years ago

Well I think that they just need a good ole Florida vacation, snicker, snicker.

Renee, they sell the seaweed at petsmart on 23rd st. and there is also a feed store on 77 in Lynn Haven that sells Neptunes Harvest just seaweed and the seaweed/fish fertilizer.

Dee

• Denise
    12 years ago

Kelly,

This is what I'd do... I'd take all those "problem children" and put them in a largish community pot (I use a big clay pot) with a few cuttings of something that roots quickly for you. As GG said, there is something about a plant that's already rooting that gets others rooting. And this time of year will work to your advantage. And if those problem cuttings are large enough, yes, I'd go ahead and cut them in half. It will entice the orginal cutting to grow, and starting a new cutting can't hurt.

Denise in Omaha

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Dee, if that's an invitation for all us northerners to load up our problem plants and come vacation at your place, you're on! It's June and I'm still so pale I'm practically translucent and summer boarders are a perfectly reasonable penalty for those who live in Hoya wonderlands.

• rennfl
    12 years ago

Dee - thanks I shop at that petsmart, my bird is picky about her food, and they carry the brand she likes. But I never really look around, I just go in get what I need and leave.

GG - be careful what you ask for, we are hitting 100F here this week. It's brutal.

• kellyknits
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Denise! Will put them all in one pot, making additional cuttings were I can, water them with the seaweed stuff, then head to Dee's for a little r'n'r while they root! Thanks for the offer, Dee!

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! Just couldn't stand one more year of these guys doing NOTHING!

Kelly

• debbie_ny
    12 years ago

Hi Kelly! Home Depot sells Neptune's fertilizer/fish and seaweed emulsion concentrate......It is a fabulous product! As for the stubborn hoyas.....I have had a purpureo-fusca for 5 YEARS---a pathetic stick with 3 leaves...and just THIS year it sent out new growth.....If I didn't love the leaves this thing would have been toast years ago! LOL!

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

LOL Renee. I will no doubt turn a shade somewhere between crimson and a hue called "flourescent magenta" that I haven't seen since the early 90s.

But, it's either that, or start figuring out how to respond when young children point me out as "Gollum."

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus