Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Hoya Obovata

puglvr1
14 years ago

I got this hoya from CA last year, its nice to see its first bloom. I took a really good whiff, but cannot smell anything...not sure if its because its during the morning hours or because I grow mine outside in my entryway? Is this one suppose to have a scent? Also, I've noticed that some of the pictures I've seen of this flower, the bloom looks white...I'm guessing it has something to do with the light when the picture was taken. It is definitely light pink.

{{gwi:101444}}
{{gwi:956557}}

Comments (20)

• haxuan
    14 years ago

Oh, what beautiful blooms, Pug! Congrats.

Xuan

• Mentha
    14 years ago

Wow! That was quick! I must say it likes it over there way better than it did over here. :) Congrats on the blooms! Mine had to go into a smaller pot because I lost a few plants over the winter and nary a bud. I'm going to have to show it your pictures and then have a nice talk with it.

• gabro14
    14 years ago

Hi, I don't ever notice a scent on obovata blooms.

As for the color, they are definitely white. You might be getting some sort of reflection from the pink center.

Here are a few pics of my blooms:

And here are more recent pics, and it almost looks pinkish because of the glare from the pink (but they are white):

Hope that helps,
    Gabi

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

Nice plant did it grow from the cutting stage in that amount of time? This is one I don't have but I have heard it is a bit of a monster once it starts growing and I don't have much space left to work with. The leaves are very attractive, love the shape.

Mike

• gabro14
    14 years ago

Pug,

for some reason I didn't see your pics before (I didn't think you had posted any). How strange that they are pink! Maybe it's a different variation??

And also, ignore my morning stupidity. The first set of pics that I posted are of MOTOSKEI, not OBOVATA!! Sorry bout that. The second set is obovata.

Gabi

• Mentha
    14 years ago

According to Bob Smoley, myhoyas.com, Kartuz, and others I can't mention on this forum, the flowers should be pale pink with a red center.

• gabro14
    14 years ago

Interesting. Ted Green also refers to the color as pale pink. I guess it depends on where you look. David Liddle describes the color as "reflexed white flower with red corona". And on hoyor.net, she describes the color as "white with a pink shimmer".

My blooms always look white to me, both in my pictures and in person.

Either way, Pug's flowers look MUCH more pink than usual. Does anyone else's obovata have blooms that are that pink? There's no doubt that's obovata, but I still wonder if it has some sort of cross in it.

Gabi

Here is a link that might be useful: hoyor.net

• Mentha
    14 years ago

I beleve it came from a nursery in San Diego, but when I need him, my cactus guy isn't at work to tell me exactly where it came from. I do remember that the flowers did darken as the began to curve back at the nursery. However I've never had blooms at my house to tell if it's enviromental or not. Maybe the clone I got with the heavy speckling has darker flowers to begin with? I guess I need to push mine to flower and see. I've never really cared to push them though and just let them do their thing. If all goes as planned, all my hoyas will be spending the rest of the summer in a new dovecote my brother is building me next week :) Maybe the heat will push them to bloom.

• pirate_girl
    14 years ago

Hiya Mentha,

What please is a dovecoat?

• Mentha
    14 years ago

Hiya PG,
    A dovecote is a bird aviary built specifically for doves and pigeons. Usually it has a bird access for homing pigeons, but since I only have doves, I won't need it. Mine will (hopefully) be 10ft X 10 ft and 6 ft tall, it should be large enough to keep all 20 of my ringneck doves, some plants and some bottom feeders like a pair of ducks, quail, or small chickens.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Xuan!

Mentha, thanks...I LOVE this one! Yes, make sure you tell your hoya to get on the ball, lol...I can't believe its blooming already.

Mike, this was a rooted plant, it wasn't anywhere the size it is now, actually shortly after I received it(I had it outside under a palm tree) and lost several leaves to snails! It took a couple of months to replace them, but once it got going it grew fast! This one has the potential to get large.

Gabi, no problem! This is definitely light pink. I've seen photos that looked white like yours, that's why I asked about the color. BTW, your pictures are awesome! Just gorgeous!!

Thanks for the kind words and info!

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    14 years ago

Nancy, congrats!!! beautiful flowers! mine are pare pink as well. I guess the color depending on where you live and different clones have different color.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Jan, maybe its our heat and high humidity, no cool nights...just a guess? Or like you said there may be different clones out there? I was hoping mine would be white, since I've not had any hoya with a white bloom...yet! Waiting for my Moteskei to bloom. I love Gabbi's white(M) bloom!

• gabro14
    14 years ago

AND motoskei blooms smell like chocolate!!!

Gabi

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gabi, sorry for the typo on your name :o(

Chocolate? Now, I'm even more excited to see a bloom, I
    LOVE chocolate!

• gabro14
    14 years ago

No need to be sorry...everyone mispells my name :)

I hope you get those chocolately goodness blooms soon!!

Gabi

• johanna76
    14 years ago

Gabi, I love your photo's, just spectacular. Thanks for posting. do you have a site where you have more up?

• gabro14
    14 years ago

Thanks Johanna! Yes, you can check out my hoya photobucket album.

Hope you enjoy!

Thanks again for the compliment :)
    Gabi

Here is a link that might be useful: Gabi's Hoya Album

• hills
    14 years ago

Not sure if Obovata is one of those hoyas that tends to have pinker blooms if it's been in a lot of light? That might be your explanation?

• Mary Jane Long
    6 years ago

I live in northern California and my four year old Hoya Obovata finally decided to bloom. The scent is a faint sweet cinnamon. Some problems with yellow aphids on the new growth but I just pick those off and prefer not to use anything else.

Sponsored