Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lightning96

I'm about to be an enabler... has anyone here seen Joni's sale?

lightning96
12 years ago

That heading says it all :)

Comments (34)

• lovingmy4babies
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh no! Now you've done it! When my dearest hubby asks, I'll just direct him here. lol

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

I think you enabled too much, ha! It says her site is down due to exceeding bandwidth :)

Hopefully she gets that resolved soon, I'd like to see the sale too!

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

LOL I was thinking the same thing, Quinn. I was hitting that refresh button like a monkey hooked up to a cocaine lever.

It didn't help that I got an email notification yesterday that that finlaysonii I wanted came available. w00t ^_^

• lightning96
    Original Author
    12 years ago

quinnfyre, that is too funny. I hope it wasn't me that caused the system to be down! LOL

• cpawl
    12 years ago

You can get in to her site now but not much is left.To bad I wanted to get a few.

Cindy

• gennykins
    12 years ago

Sooooooo disappointing. Not much left at all...

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

I was not going to buy any more Hoyas but I had to look at the site and two that I have wanted forever were listed. You are an enabler.

Mike

• rennfl
    12 years ago

When I got home from work late last night, I saw this post and immediately went to her site to see what was left.

And I saw one available that I really wanted, and thought, who would be ordering in the middle of the night right? So decided I'd just place my order early this morning, when I had time to go through the options more carefully and see if there was anything else left that I would like.

Well someone got it!

Oh well, there were a few left that I wanted, so order placed. Now I can't wait.

Renee

• lightning96
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm glad to be of some help around here... just kidding...

I'm actually glad she didn't have tons of different ones available. I would've spent WAAAY too much $$$$ since as a beginner my wish list is still very long!

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Ahhhh! It's hurting my brain and heart that people are feeling so thwarted by this sale.

Point 1:

Last summer when Joni had her sale, I excitedly put in an order, and then the next week, she had NEW plants up. >_>

So, take hope those of you who felt like they missed the boat (or were elbowed out). It's possible there might be more listings before Saturday. Also, there's sure to be another sale before the end of the summer. ^_^

Point 2:

Some recommendations on some of my favorites, that you might not know are cool if you don't already have them...

aldrichii is a really pretty Hoya. It has elegant succulent leaves that grow super flat, like discs.

cagayanensis ... well this one should go without saying, since it's gotten a lot of lip service in this forum lately, but it is very nice, with uniquely shaped, strangely textured leaves, kind of like soft velvety plastic. And they do have a shimmer to them, which is pretty weird for a Hoya.

camphorifolia is compact with attractive leaves that blush in the sun. Just a really nice looking plant overall.

chlorantha ... just go look up how many times rennet has posted pictures of this plant in bloom since purchase. Granted, rennet feeds plants crack.

dolicosparte has cool leaves, too. They're really stiff without being thick, like glossy cardboard, and they curl under all around the circumference. You can kind of see it in the picture if you're looking for it. The effect is kind of artificial, like an artist conceived this plant, but hot, like it belongs on the runway.

kastbergii if you like obovata, then you need this one too. They're like the salt and pepper shakers of the Hoya round leaf world. Actually, I think this one is even more striking than obovata, because its petioles are longer.

kenejiana It's kind of like mega-chlorantha. Mine's leaves grow much more folded and curved than Joni's plant, I guess because of the different conditions, and imo they look cooler this way.

litoralis This is one of my favorites! It's delicate and elegant. It's kind of like if wayettii grew up learning tea ceremony and calligraphy.

merrillii I didn't like this one at first, but now I don't know why. This plant is Hoya's answer to patent leather shoes. The gloss on this plant will blind you.

onychoides is not temperamental for me. Maybe it will not be temperamental for you either?

pauciflora is the cutest sweetest little thing ever. a winner!

wibergiae ... why doesn't anyone ever say anything about this plant? it's really beautiful to look at.

aff arnottiana & aff. parasitica 'Lao 2' are two of my favorites. Can't really say why, they're just sturdy and lush looking with pretty growth habits. If I were going to show someone a Hoya that was "typical" and yet still likely to impress, I'd reach for one of these.

sp. Ban Ngon Ngoy just grows so cool. You have to see it to appreciate it and Joni's pictures tragically fail to capture everything I love about it. The base of my plant looks like it's trying to make a chrysanthemum flower with its leaves. This is definitely one I'd grab if my apartment was on fire, let's leave it at that.

sp. square leaf if you need me to point out this one, clearly you just joined this forum. Hello, nice to meet you!

• kellyknits
    12 years ago

I LOVE wibergiae - especially the one with the pink markings!

Kelly

• rennfl
    12 years ago

GG - please no. I don't think I could handle it if she has another sale. Between my order this morning, and a couple trades lately, I think I've increased my Hoyas by 50% in the last month.

My poor orchids are going to be elbowed out.

And really though, who goes Hoya shopping in the middle of the night? lol (Because ya know I wasn't looking at them in the middle of the night lol)

I actually almost ordered the onychoides, but I didn't cause she listed it as tempermental. Next time I'll get it.

Renee

• banannas
    12 years ago

I see nothing wrong with ordering hoya, orchids, or chocolate in the middle of the night, nothing at all!

• kellyknits
    12 years ago

Here's a picture of one of my wibergaie leaves with LOTS of pink!

This really is a cool one for those that don't have it!

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

Whoa! That's cool! Don't think I've ever seen that before, actually.

• lightning96
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Greedyghost, I think I need to bookmark your posting for future reference, for the next time I go hoya shopping! That was great :)

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

Greedyshost, you've just made my list longer. Some of those are new to me. Now I have to start putting 'mad money' on the side to get a few of those. The Wibergiae is top of the list. I love the colors of the leaves.
    There's too many enablers on this forum. ;D

• scsva
    12 years ago

I wonder if the Wilbegiae is a slow grower or not.

Susan

• kellyknits
    12 years ago

I'd say it faster than variegated hoyas. I let mine get too dry over the winter though and had to restart it...the growth seems moderate now!

It really is an interesting hoya! The pink fades somewhat on older foliage, but it is bright on newer leaves!

Kelly

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Gorgeous leaf Kelly!! I have a small cutting of this hoya but mine doesn't have anywhere as much pink splotches as yours. Beautiful!! I'm just now seeing two baby leaves on mine since I got it 8 months ago.

• lovingmy4babies
    12 years ago

All of you- enablers! lol My Hoya list just doubled, and since joining in on this forum, my Hoya collection jumped from a mere 10 to 40! 40!!! Do you know what that's doing to my poor husband? He says he feels like he is being overtaken, like if he stands still long enough, I'll start hanging Hoyas from him(or maybe they'll strangle him?). lol

• theplanthoarder
    12 years ago

You should see my husband when I buy another plant. He says that I always complain when we are broke but I always manage to scrape up enough money to buy more plants. He really got upset when I started hanging the hoyas from the light fixtures. He just doesn't get it.

• cpawl
    12 years ago

To funny about hanging hoyas from the light fixtures.I do the same but hubby has learned not to say to much except "that plant isn't heavy is it" and my answer is of coarse not LOL.

Cindy

• scsva
    12 years ago

I wanted to get the obovata x with carnosa but missed out!

Susan

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Kids I recommend that you do a little search to find where dmichael has posted pictures of his grow house. Then, when your hubby complains, you can say: What?! These 40?! Talk to me when I have 500!

Oh who am I kidding? I have them bookmarked.

Green House

Shade House

Pretty nifty, huh?

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

GG--thanks for posting those links. What an awesome setup.
    David -- I knew you had a greenhouse and shade house, but didn't realize that they were so big. Now I can see how many hoya you have. What a great collection. If you ever decide to sell cuttings, please email me. In the mean time I can live thru your pictures, and make believe they're mine. LOL

• kellyknits
    12 years ago

Wow- had forgotten just how nice David's greenhouse and shade house are! MORE than impressive!

Kelly

• lovingmy4babies
    12 years ago

GG- thank you for sharing those links with me!

David- I think you have the most awesome set up- I love how neat everything is- all in rows :) The plants are just gorgeous! I agree with Kelly- MORE than impressive! Isn't it nice(or perhaps slightly weird) to know so many people are living vicariously through your photos?!? lol

I've added another 5 Hoya just this past week, and my 'want' list is still a mile long! Hubs is starting to worry that I may have a hoarding problem. I told him it was okay until we could no longer use certain rooms of the house, then I would agree that I might have a *slight* problem. Thank goodness all this is giving him the motivation to get moving on building me a small greenhouse! Of course, he thinks that the house will be less 'plant-full', but we all know that it just means more room for more plants!

• binlin
    12 years ago

Wow, I'm late to the party on this one. It's probably for the best, since I'm running out of space to put things.

@greedyghost
    Oh sure, tell everyone my secret. I'll have you know that my plants prefer to be fed speed.

My chlorantha's definitely been a treat though, it's almost always flowering. That said, anyone who's ordered one should know that it does overgrow its pot really fast. Then it'll sulk by turning yellow and dropping leaves (Not that this keeps it from flowering though). I moved mine from a 3 inch pot up to a 6 inch one just a month ago and there're already roots poking out through the bottom.

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

GG, great point...how can our love ones complain about 40 or 50 hoyas when there's someone like David that has over 500,lol...Thanks David for taking all the heat for us :o)

Thanks for posting those links GG...David really does have an absolutely beautiful and LARGE set up with some AWESOME hoyas. What I would give to tour his place.

Rennet, every time I see a picture of your Chlorantha I honestly gasp at its beauty. Please refresh my memory...where did you say you got that from? Thanks for posting. I'm SO jealous!

• binlin
    12 years ago

Thanks a bunch pug, I got mine from aleya garden in Thailand.
    I have to say I'm far more jealous of the photos you post of your plants though. I wish mine would grow half as well as yours without all the light and heat I have to pump into them.

• lovingmy4babies
    12 years ago

I'm really loving that chlorantha- it's gorgeous! I have to say I'm definitely jealous of the photos you post :)

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

LOL Rennet. ^_^

I'm totally amused that everyone has as much fun as I do stalking David's facilities. If he mounted a webcam, I swear I'd never get any work done. Talk about crack...

• rennfl
    12 years ago

My box arrived today, very pleased. And I ended up getting ochynoides so that worked out well too.

Renee

Sponsored