Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rennfl

Hoya hypoplasia

rennfl
9 years ago

Does anyone else have difficulty with hypoplasia vining? No matter how many times I clip new growth up, it reorients itself to grow down. Should this be one that I should hang and just let it grow down?

It's really finally starting to actually grow well for me, but it is a battle on a trellis, since it seems to not want to vine.

TIA

Renee

Comments (21)

• vermonthoyas
    9 years ago

I have found that hypoplasia will twine a little bit, but almost always goes where you do not want it to go. Many times after trying to train it, the clipped vine will die back. This plant has been very frustrating for me. At least three times, I have had peduncles start to bud up, and then the buds will dry up, and the peduncle will fall off. I have put my plant outside in a tent greenhouse for the summer with the hope that if I leave it alone, and let the vines do what every they want to do it will carry some buds to term for me. I should also say this is the first time I will be trying to grow it in natural light. It also seems to be very sensitive to both over and under watering.

Don't know if any of this info helps, but that is my experience with the plant after two years.

Doug

This post was edited by vermonthoyas on Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 12:16

• rennfl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Doug.

Well I've decided to put the pot in a shallow basket, and hang from the tree. So it can vine around the basket, or grow down, whatever it prefers.

Your comments lead me to another question. How much light in the greenhouse are you giving it?

I have now hung mine in what for me is the deepest shade I can give it here out back. Which means dappled sunlight during morning and mid day, and shade after about 3pm.

Usually if a plant is fussy, I won't coddle it, but I so love the leaves of this one, it is getting babied a bit.

Renee

• vermonthoyas
    9 years ago

Renee,

It sounds like you are giving it just about the same amount of sunlight that I am right now.

I also forgot to say another thing about the plant that annoys me is that when you have done something that the plant does not like, it will lose leaves one after another. Like you say the leaves are gorgeous, and it is heartbreaking to lose several that are longer than four inches. As soon as the petiole starts turning red, the leaves are pretty much done for. I find that the leaf has to be a few months old to be safe from the dreaded leaf drop syndrome.

Best of luck to you and your hypoplasia.

Doug

• rennfl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again Doug.

Renee

• ladyhawk_lmr
    9 years ago

Help needed for my hoya! Background-40 years old, in a terracotta 10 inch pot, terracotta saucer, garden window facing north(neighbor has white aluminum siding that reflects light) water every other week, has lots of vines and lots of peduncles about 11/2 inches long. Last fall I noticed a bunch of brown "specks" lying under the Lucite sheet lining my garden window. Upon further investigation I found them to be what I took to be dead baby spiders. They had gotten trapped under the Lucite and died. I took the plant outside and sprayed it down to hopefully wash out the "mama" spider. It did alright thru the winter and spring. The problem started again with the same brown "specks" about 6 weeks ago. I again washed it down. As the peduncles started to bloom I noticed that they were not opening all the way and they seemed to have a stickey substance coating them. Along with the stickey substance were lots of little while dots, kind of fuzzy. After looking on line for answers I think I might have spider mites. I've enclosed picturers of the white "fuzz" and a picture of the whole plant. So the question is, is it spider mites and if so what do I do to get rid of them. This plant means a great deal to me as it was a wedding gift to us 41 years ago! I really need to save it!!

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

ladyhawk, you would get better response if you post a new thread rather than burying this in an unrelated topic. I did that for you here: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hoya/msg0723062930449.html.

• rennfl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Doug, since you were so helpful I though I'd give you an update. Over the last two months, it has two growing stems which have matured 10 new leaves. One vine grows down then out, weight as leaves fill in I think pull it down. The other vine is growing up and out, it is kind of supporting itself on the wire hanger, but definitely not vining.

It has also grown a penduncle which has well developed buds. If they open I'll try and get pictures.

So, ignoring it seems to have helped it a lot.

Thanks again,

Renee

• vermonthoyas
    9 years ago

Hi Renee, It is really exciting news that you are getting ready to bloom hypoplasia! I can't wait to see the photos.

My plant put on many new leaves this summer and a number of peduncles, but I was not able to keep the buds on any of them:( If I had to guess, I would say that I was unable to give the plant enough light to mature the buds. My backyard is heavily shaded by large maple trees allowing very little sunlight in - at least at this time of the year. I will not give up on this plant though, as I really like it a lot. I am going to try a powerful LED light on it this fall and see what that does to it.
    Congrats again on you upcoming blooms.

Doug

• rennfl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The buds did open last weekend, unfortunately I didn't get pictures of the buds, but I did manage to get them of the flowers.

First the whole plant, which you can see isn't very big yet.

And pictures of the flowers,

And the best close-up I had.

The flowers were open for about two days, maybe three, also, I misspelled the name in the title. It is spelled hypolasia.

Renee

• vermonthoyas
    9 years ago

Congratulations, Renee! Fantastic photographs too! Definitely a Hoya worth the trouble to get it to bloom. I will need to be more patient with mine, which has started to grow well again now that I have it inside under the LED.

Once again, great job with that Hypolasia - I love it!

Doug

• rennfl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Doug!

Renee

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Oh Wow Renee!! Those are gorgeous!! My small one is a very slow grower and I too have had some issues with the baby leaves falling off :o)

Thanks for the very pretty pictures!! Congrats on a great job growing and blooming this one!

• rennfl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Pug!

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    9 years ago

Congratulations Rennfl! Gorgeous flowers and photos. I was going to get a cutting of this Hoya but reading you guys post I am not sure.

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

Those are such great photos, Renee! Really beautiful growing!

I keep mine in a very brightly lit aquarium full time and it grows very well - not fast, but steady and strong. I have taken so many cuttings of it over the years that it is still quite small, but I am completely unrepentant because I feel that EVERYONE should have a hypolasia. You should definitely get it, Jan! It is even more lovable than Renee's excellent photos can show. Definitely one of the most beautiful-leaved Hoyas.

• vermonthoyas
    9 years ago

As I suspected, up to this point I had been unable to give my H. hypolasia enough light, or the right spectrum to induce blooming. I finally was able to pull it off using a very powerful LED lamp. Here is a photo of the flowers from a couple of days ago.

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    9 years ago

Wow! Doug, Gorgeous!! Maybe I will get a cutting greedyghost.

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Wow!!! That's a very beautiful bloom Doug, thanks for sharing!! Gorgeous indeed!!

Renee, when you bring this plant inside here in FL? When it gets below 50 or 60 dgrees? Thanks!!

• vermonthoyas
    9 years ago

Thanks Jan! I should also note that these flowers did not last very long at all. They opened Saturday Morning and were completely gone by Tuesday Morning.

• rennfl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Jan and GG.

Doug, lovely picture, I'm glad you bloomed it.

Pug, last winter I brought it in when the nights got into the mid 50s regularly. So if just one or two nights I wait, but when it's a few in a row, it comes in.

Renee

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Thanks Renee! Looks like I still have a few more weeks,lol...