Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

My Sp. square

puglvr1
12 years ago

I was SO excited to finally see these in person...wanted to share some pictures with you all. Thanks for sharing my excitement! It has a very nice scent but is very weak...had to put my nose right up to it to smell it.

After seeing Xuan's gorgeous hoya I knew I had to have this one. Definitely one of my favorites.

Its funny how they start out pink...

I counted at least 3 more peduncles forming in different stages. Sorry its blurry...

Comments (31)

• jakalfoshakal
    12 years ago

oh nancy they are too cute! But the second picture makes me hungry, they look like little cup cakes. How big is the plant?

• kellyknits
    12 years ago

GORGEOUS! Jsainz, they do look like little cupcakes!

Congrats!

Kelly

• banannas
    12 years ago

And when the flowers are still closed they look like sticky buns! Beautiful!!!

• golden_ca_2000
    12 years ago

GREAT PHOTOS pug!!!

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Oh my goodness. Sticky buns and cupcakes. Too true! I love the way they start out pink too, Pug. They are just adorable. I wish this one would never stop blooming for people because I am particularly fond of pictures of this species. Sugar and spice and everything nice.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Well now I want cute little Hoya cupcakes but I am not much of a baker.
    Congratulations on the blooms and great photos, love the close up of the flowers.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Oh man. That's a terrific idea, Mike! ^_^ When we all get together for our repotting party, I'll make Hoya cupcakes for us. (And maybe some bud mochi?)

You can be in charge of elderberry muscle relaxant for our stiff shoulders at the end of the day...

• dmichael619
    12 years ago

Congrats on the blooms Pug!!!! I agree with everyone they do look like little cupcakes.

Mike it made me want cupcakes too and I do bake,often!!! In fact i'm on my way to the store in a few to get flour to make some homemade spiced (ginger,nutmeg and cinnamon) blueberry muffins!!!!

david

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Lovely little blooms!

I want some cupcakes now, too ;-)

Josh

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

My mother always used to decorate cakes so I have used a pastry bag before. I wonder how hard it would be to make a corona out of icing?

That's it Hoya party at my house, home made muscle relaxant, tea and cupcakes for all!

Mike

• dmichael619
    12 years ago

Mike,

dare I ask what's in the home made muscle relaxant!!!

• kellyknits
    12 years ago

I'm in!
    BTW, for anyone wanting this one, SRQ has it in stock right now. The new website is great!

Kelly

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

David the main ingredients to relax muscle and deal with muscle tension or inflammation are St. John's Wort and Arnica montana flowers but I put calendula flowers and broad leafed Plantain in there as well because they are very soothing. Olive, grape seed or sweet almond oils are used to extract the plant material and then bee's wax thickens the oils into a solid, works like a charm.
    St John's Wort is so useful, pretty darn good for an weed that was introduced from Euroupe although there are native species as well.
    Mike

• dmichael619
    12 years ago

Kelly, how did you get to SRQ's new site?? When I try to go to it all I get is a page saying error site not found.

Mike thanks for the details on the relaxant.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

David, I was having the same problem. It worked when I manually typed www.srqhoyas.com into my address bar, but for some reason if I do a google search for SRQ and follow the links that pop up, or use one of the stored SRQ addresses, it does not.

Mike, I suppose a cupcake and muscle relaxant themed party might be making us sound a bit odd right now, but I would totally drive to Canada for that! xD

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

GG I can't say I have ever had to use my muscle relaxant after re-potting but then again I don't do that much repotting either. I imagine a day of re-potting could cause some aches and pains though. One of my friends uses the muscle balm on her hands if they cramp while she is knitting.

Mike

• kellyknits
    12 years ago

David, I think like GG I typed the address in as well. Hope it works for you today! Really like the new site!

Kelly

• haxuan
    12 years ago

Pug, wow, your plant is really quick to bloom for you. You're so lucky... Congrats!

I don't know much about "cupcakes" but my local friends thought the blooms looked like "little chicks with white feather and pointed bills". I really love them.

Again, Pug, congratulations.

Oh, the blooms on my plant attracted lots of bees/flies so I guess I'm going to have some seed pods next.

Xuan

• rennfl
    12 years ago

Oh It is just too cute. Congrats on the blooms.

Renee

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

Sticky buns and cupcakes. Oh my!! What a great description.
    But the flowers remind me of little buttons that I used to sew on dresses that I made for my girls years ago.
    Any way you call them, they are beautiful.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much you guys! I really appreciate it. Its hard not to like this hoya even for the leaves alone.

Lol...you all had me laughing with all the cupcakes and sticky buns and now you have me wanting to bake cupcakes as well!

Jsainz, the plant is a nice size for a hoya...I was very lucky it grew pretty well for me at least SO far.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

/Mike I probably only get stiff while potting because I get so focused on the delicate work that I hunch my body in strange ways and don't notice. Using it for knitting is a great idea. I was also thinking that it could be a favorite among the musician crowd. I have an old soccer injury in my wrist that makes it difficult to play for longer than a couple hours.

/Xuan I really like your friends' description. I can see how they would look like some little white bantam hens. ^_^ That's great that you might get some seedpods - I'd like to see that!

/Ima I do think they look like little girl buttons too.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Xuan, that would be SO cool if you get seedpods!! Not that I would have any luck sowing seeds. For some reason I have the worst luck getting seeds to sprout. Please keep us posted!

Little buttons are a cute description for them also :o)

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The second peduncle is just starting to open...wanted to get a shot before it fully opens. Smells very nice, wish it was a little stronger.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

I just love that photo, Pug! Like baby bonnets, to continue our little girl apparel theme. I give up on trying to decide my favorite phase of these blooms.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks GG! I think your description of little girl bonnets are fitting with that photo :o)

• zzackey
    12 years ago

I've seen several different hoyas, but not that one. What is elderberry muscle relaxant? I could sure use some! I make my own rosemary oil for sore muscles and joints. It works well.

• kellyknits
    12 years ago

Nancy,

Those couldn't be any cuter...unless of course Max was in the picture as well!

Kelly

• rennfl
    12 years ago

Pug I think I like that last photo best. Baby bonnets is a perfect description.

Renee

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

I keep thinking those buds look very much like these Japanese gumballs I used to get as a kid. They were strawberry, had that same pale pink translucent look, and came in these little tiny boxes. Don't have a clue what they were called, but it was probably some of the prettiest gum I have ever gotten :)

I can't wait til my square leaf decides to bloom! Mine is not as big yet. The leaves are so cute though, I don't mind waiting. Thanks for sharing your pics, they are lovely!

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks guys!!

Lol...Kelly, will have to tell Max to pose next time.

Quinn, the leaves DO make it worth the wait for blooms.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm