Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rennfl

June blooms

rennfl
11 years ago

Yes, it is only the second day of June but what the heck. Some of these though were actually in bloom the end of May.

Here ya go.

Plant I received from a trade as Hoya multiflora. I do need to compare it to GG's photos to confirm or not.

Hoya obscura, I keep it in decent light because I like the red leaves.

Hoya rotundiflora, so proud I bloomed this one, and it has a few more penduncles budding up.

And finally Hoya pachyclada, received this in the same trade a year ago, for reference, the pot is a 3 inch solo drinking cup. And the fragrance on this is just lovely, smells like cardamom to me.

Renee

Comments (32)

• cpawl
    11 years ago

Congratulations on all your flowers Renee.Pachy is one of my fav for its smell.

• amber_m
    11 years ago

oh my goodness they are so beautiful! i expecially love your Hoya "multiflora" it makes me think of the fourth of july every time

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Beautiful Renee...LOVE all your blooms! Congrats!! My pachy opened up yesterday too...I do love this time of year.

• Klea
    11 years ago

That rotundiflora is so gorgeous! It's on my (forever expanding) wish list, and so is the pachyclada. The flowers on the latter looks as sweet as small drops of candy! Beautiful!

• mitzicos
    11 years ago

Renee,

Very nice pictures, thank you for sharing!!!!

• golden_ca_2000
    11 years ago

Very Beautiful Renee... All of them!!!

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Great batch of bloomers, Renee! I especially like that photo of the pachyclada. I assume it came with a peduncle already on it? I just love those blooms and your description of the scent.

Both my heuschkelianas are blooming up a storm right now and it is such a pain in the butt because they actually give me the munchines. I'll be innocently well beyond the realm of thinking about food and walk past them and BAM I want popcorn.

Hoya finlaysonii 'Ripple Leaf'

Hoya finlaysonii 'Ripple Leaf'

After I saw Pug's pictures, I told mine to bloom on my birthday, but it missed the mark and bloomed on my sister's birthday instead. Still close, though! ;) To me, this one smells like that faint dusty lemony smell when a historical building has been cleaned well. With just a pinch of spice. I know that's a weird description, but I actually find it very pleasant and nostalgic feeling. And I am always glad to find out a plant blooms around my birthday. It always feels like the best card. :)

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Its Beautiful GG!! Don't you just love the finlaysonii blooms! I especially like that second picture from the backside of the blooms. Yours is really very pretty!! Congrats!

• rennfl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone.

GG - no the pachyclada grew the penduncle this spring. The first set of buds were eaten by slugs, and this set then developed from the same penduncle.

If you look at the whole plant pic closely, you can kind of see a line in the stem right about the bottom set of leaves. That is where the plant was when I got it, one set of leaves.

Also, your finlaysonii is gorgeous. Mine bloomed once last summer, but nothing since then.

Renee

• phal_pal
    11 years ago

OOOOHHH the pretty blooms!! My multiflora has peduncles right now so soon there will be flowers. Yours are all so pretty. I'm green with envy.

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

That's some fantastic growth. I remember about the slugs now! So things turned around for pachyclada! :) It makes no sense, but pachyclada has such thick fat blooms they seem improbable to the eye when the plant is still smallish. But so pretty!

• rennfl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A couple more that bloomed this past week.

H. Ban Ngon Noy - the buds, blooms and the whole plant, which is not very big at all. It is in a 3 inch pot.

And Hoya dasyantha. I've found the best way to bloom stubborn plants is to complain about them on this forum. lol I complained about my cembra, and it bloomed a couple months later. A couple months ago I complained about dasyantha, and now it bloomed.

Hope you enjoy!

Renee

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

I just love the colour of Hoya Ban Ngon Noy. I actually ordered that one last year after seeing David's photos. The intensity of the flower colour is just amazing. The plant itself looks so much like Hoya carnosa, would be interesting to see a DNA analysis of the two species to see just how closely related they are.

Congrats on the beautiful Hoya blooms.

Mike

• moonwolf_gw
    11 years ago

Congrats on the blooms everyone!

Renee, I can relate about the complaining part. After not seeing a sign of growth or blooms for months, my plants are finally waking up. I don't know why but I have a funny feeling that my fungii will bloom before long :-).

GG, your photo makes me realize why I fell in love with finlaysonii "Ripple Leaf". I loved your description of the fragrance, which makes me want it even more lol.

Mike, I agree that Ban Ngon Noy is really something! I'm thinking of adding this one to my wish list!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• golden_ca_2000
    11 years ago

Beautiful GG.. fantastic photo too!

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Wow Renee...Love that picture with the closed buds of Hoya Ban
    Ngon Noy. Just beautiful!

Few of mine are blooming...took these this morning

First time bloomer for me...H. bhutanica

H. pink silver

H. finlaysonii

H. imperialis

H. carnosa...with a cute little moth

H. mathilde

Thanks for looking

• moonwolf_gw
    11 years ago

Pug, I love the shot of the carnosa with the moth! I have always admired your Pink Silver. Imperialis and finlaysonii took my breath away! Mathilde looks stunning with the blue sky in the background! Congrats on all the blooms!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Thanks Brad...I'm glad you enjoyed them!

• rennfl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys.

And pug..... oh pug (sigh/faceplant) can I please please drop off my ungrateful mean imperialis at your house. then when it blooms (which I'm sure it will after you have had it for like a week) can we arrange visitation for me? Please :)

Renee

• Aggie2
    11 years ago

Greedyghost, Renee and Pug thanks for pictures!
    I'm going to pin prints in from of my hoyas ;)!
    Should not complain really, they are working on it, but as you all know hoya blooms take forever to develop... So while waiting for budding carnosa, Mathilde, obovata, cumingiana and albiflora (even Joni is waiting for possible flowers on this one) I enjoy yours! Please keep them coming!

Aggie

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Thanks Renee and Aggie!!

Renee, I would be happy to Hoya-sit your imperialis,lol...No guarantee I can make it will bloom though, but, I can place them together and maybe it will coax yours :o) I bet this is the year yours will bloom, keeping fingers crossed.

• luvidaho_2010
    11 years ago

Beautiful blooms everyone! I am very happy to have three plants blooming, two carnosa and a verticullata.
    carnosa

H. verticullata

Tami

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Beautiful, Tami! :) I'm ready for another first-time bloomer, now. Listen up, Hoyas!

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Tami, they're beautiful! I especially love your verticillata blooms. Mine has done nothing...still waiting for a peduncle,lol.

• luvidaho_2010
    11 years ago

Thanks Pug & GG. I am very happy to have a couple blooming, I have waited a long time for them. The verticillata has quite a few peduncles on it but it seems to only develop one at a time. When the blossoms dry up I see another one starting to wake up and put on buds. I haven't decided if it is doing that to make me happy longer or if it is just torturing me with the long wait in between blooms! Doesn't really matter, I like the plant anyway.
    Tami

• Aggie2
    11 years ago

While waiting for other Hoyas to make up their minds, and finally grow something on the penducles they send to torture me, I got carnosa bloom!

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

Mitzi this one's for you! This is Tweedia caerulea, a beautiful Hoya relative from Brazil.

Mike

• amber_m
    11 years ago

oh that is so beautiful mike! it looks like someone came along and delicately painted all that blue on. very beautiful

• rennfl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Aggie, that is a gorgeous picture!

Renee

• mitzicos
    11 years ago

Mike,

It is very beautiful.... I don't know this plant, but it is very nice. Thank you for posting!

Mitzi

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

@ Aggie

I was also wowed by your photograph. Sometimes, even if you've looked at a flower a million times, someone comes along and takes a picture that stirs you all over again. :)

@ Mike

That's a very cool plant. Something about the coloring seems so fake, like when photos are desaturated and then artificial hues are painted in.

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

The buds of the Tweedia actually start out a lilac purple. It's a neat plant, a twiner but not aggressively. I have just germinated some other Hoya relatives so hopefully I can post photos of them in bloom some time in the future. The seeds were of a Raphionacme sp.

Mike

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions