Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goddess9_gw

Should I cut?

goddess9
11 years ago

I have the most common Hoya - Krimson Queen - and it's growing all white leaves in one area. The rest of the new leaves are variegated. Should I snip the white leaves off? I was reading in the Hoyan that it will stress the plant because it has to support the white leaves.

Comments (8)

• amber_m
    11 years ago

i actually was just reading that like two days ago in the Hoyan. i do believe that ive heard that some place else tho about varegated plants in general. i cant remember when or where but im pretty sure ive heard that just a few leaves wont hurt but when you get a bunch of them it can be detremental to the plant because there is no chlorophyll in those leaves so they are acting like a leach to the plant. they are taking away energy but giving anything in return. i think if there arent too many you might be okay but if there were a lot i would cut them, or at least some of them. you should wait tho and see what someone else says because i could be completely wrong.

• mel_10
    11 years ago

My KQ did that last summer, put out a vine of solid white leaves. I also asked what to do about, and ended up leaving the vine alone until I could see whether it was harming the rest of the plant. The plant continued to grow just as much as it always had, the white vine did not seem to cause any problems. However, about a month or so later, the white vine died back. So I guess it is kind of up to the individual on whether or not to cut it. If you like the look and it isn't causing problems for the rest of the plant, leave it alone. Otherwise, chop it off :)

HTH,
    Mel

• barbmock
    11 years ago

I have one of these Krimson Queens too. I have had it for years. it. Had stopped growing a year or more ago, just sitting there in suspended animation. After reading the same topics that you did, I decided to try to rejuvinate it and get it to grow again. I repotted in some fresh mix, and made several cuttings that were placed back in the same pot, and I removed most of the white leaves. This has been a month or so ago. Now I am seeing new sprouts growing. I noticed that most of the stems were looking old and woody. I'm hoping to get a much nicer plant out of it.

• barbmock
    11 years ago

I have one of these Krimson Queens too. I have had it for years. it. Had stopped growing a year or more ago, just sitting there in suspended animation. After reading the same topics that you did, I decided to try to rejuvinate it and get it to grow again. I repotted in some fresh mix, and made several cuttings that were placed back in the same pot, and I removed most of the white leaves. This has been a month or so ago. Now I am seeing new sprouts growing. I noticed that most of the stems were looking old and woody. I'm hoping to get a much nicer plant out of it.

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

I personally love the look of the white or pink leaves on my KQ. I didn't remove mine and it grows and blooms every year, although not sure if it has anything to do with the fact that I left those leaves on it, but mine does not grow very fast (which is a good thing for me) since I really don't want that one to grow any faster. It was an 8" pot when I bought it, so growing slowly is just fine.

I think if its not harming anything you can leave it there, but its a personal preference I'm sure.

Bmock, I think you did the right think with yours, good luck!

• barbmock
    11 years ago

Yes, I think the white leaves add a lot of charm to the plant. I thought about it for a long time. Couldn't bring myself to cut them all off.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

I too think the white & pink highlights are part of KQ's charm. I rarely cut them off & the plants do just fine.

• golden_ca_2000
    11 years ago

I cut mine off - all they did was grow back.... so I wouldnt do it again...

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus
More Discussions