Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dalette_gw

Neewbie

dalette
13 years ago

Hello everyone,my name is Dalette I live on the Central Coast of California in Pismo Beach...I found this site and I was so happy but most of all I discovered the amazing Hoyas and now my life is controlled by those beautiful amazing plants...lol so I am here to read and listen and learn from all of you that have the wisdom I am seeking to keep my new friends happy and alive...Thank for allowing me to join in the Hoya journey.....Dalette

Comments (10)

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Welcome to the hoya forum Dalette...glad to have you join us!
    What are some of the hoyas you collect or do you have too many to list,lol...

I used to live in Santa Maria, Ca many years ago. I've been to Pismo Beach before...Beautiful!

• wrynsmom
    13 years ago

Hello!!!! Glad to meet you, Dalette! Yes, do list your hoya . . . and post PICTURES!!!! We LOVE pictures, here!!!

Carolyn

• Denise
    13 years ago

Hi Dalette. Hoyas are addictive and if you're like most of us, you'll soon find yourself over-run by them! I agree - we need to hear which ones you have now. Look forward to seeing you around the forum.

Pug, I lived at Vandenber AFB back in the very early 80's and worked in Santa Maria for about 6 months at an insurance agency. Small world!

Denise in Omaha

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Denise, it really is a small world isn't it? I think you and I lived in Guam too? I was say very young and Waaay before I was interested in growing hoyas and plants.

• dalette
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thank you everyone for the welcome...I only have a couple of small plants starting...My husband laughs he wants to know if i will live long enough to see then bloom...so thats how small they are,,,but i love watching them grow...I have what they call a string bean Hoya and a hindu rope,,,but I have seen many i would love to have...

• nanw_4wi
    13 years ago

Hi Dalette:
    I don't post here often, but wanted to say I'm glad to read about your new-found enthusiasm for hoyas, and the fact that you've found a hobby to enjoy after raising your children (your other post).

I have a cousin who lives in Pismo Beach!

• Denise
    13 years ago

Dalette, the "string-bean Hoya" is Hoya shepherdii and the Hindu Rope is Hoya compacta. It's always good to have proper names when you get to the point of trading...

Pug, yes - I was on Guam, too. In about late '82 to early '84. When were you there? I had to kind of "suspend" my interest in plants, because they didn't allow any coming in. I did pick up some at a local jungle seller, but gave them all away before we came back. And the ones I left with my Mom and step-grandmother were, well, rather dismal. But it wasn't long before I re-started my collection...

Denise in Omaha

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Hi Denise, I was very young when I was there...I lived there from '67 to '72 and moved to CA with my parents. I was too young to be interested in plants at the time :o(

• Denise
    13 years ago

Pug, I don't have that excuse. Here I was, into plants, but by then I'd only grown a very very few Hoyas, and really didn't realize there were many more. Had I known more about them, I may have been inclined to machete my way through the jungle looking for native species. I say "maybe" because I remember seeing HUGE webs that covered trees. I'm not sure I would have had the guts to go out there and possibly encounter the critter that made those webs!!

Denise in Omaha

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Lol Denise, I agree! Some of those webs had their own zipcodes!! I remember traipsing through the woods when I was there...I was too young and stupid to know any better,ha ha. Ah, to be young again and naive...but then again maybe not :o)

Sponsored